Who makes the decisions at Channel 4 ?

Ardross

Senior Jockey
It beggars belief - they are to cover the new AW championships meeting on good Friday - a card of moderate horses running for a surprising amount of money when their withdrawal from Bank Holidays meant the end of the Sandown card in May and pretty much the end of Kempton's turf course .

Yet the Craven Meeting where horses of vastly superior quality run for much less money remains uncovered and the St Leger meeting still has one **** day entirely due to Channel 4 withdrawing coverage after the closing for the new stand development.

The world has gone mad .:mad:

Last edited:
Yet the Craven Meeting where horses of vastly superior quality run for much less money remains uncovered and the St Leger meeting still has one **** day entirely due to Channel 4 withdrawing coverage after the closing for the new stand development.

Or the Kempton jumps meeting on 27th December.

I worked this year for the card and all 7 races were in the Racing Post grid. Not one bookmaker priced these races accurately because they are complete dross.

i think this is a good thing..the AW is only the same as the dirt racing in American..they don't have a snobbish view against dirt like some here do against the AW..and plenty of moderate horses run on their dirt. Breeders Cup doesn't seem to suffer this sort of snobbery

If good horses are running for good prizes then what is the problem of showing it?...what does other meetings not being covered have to do with it anyway?..what do you want?..a race to the bottom..which using your criterion to its extreme would result in only the Derby Ascot & Cheltenham being shown..because in comparison everything else is of lower value/worth..so not worth showing

if you are concerned about Craven and some jumps meeting not being shown then fair enough..complain to C4..its not the AW's fault they have some decent races worth covering

Staggering. A million quid worth of prize money and all races televised yet still people moan. Not to mention year one was a roaring success in both attendance and betting turnover.

In it's first year, it's also provided a subsequent double Group Three winner (who has a reasonable chance of climbing even further) who's victory prior to AWCD was a handicap win off 93.

Also think about this from TV coverage, C4 aren't going to give a weekday Countdown or Come Dine With Me or Deal Or No Deal the elbow but it's much easier to crowbar Lingfield in on a bank holiday when viewing figures are lower.

Slim, firms can't even price Royal Ascot or top quality international races up properly FFS!

Also, there's only one reason Kempton's turf course went and it's because JCR wanted a slice of the floodlit meeting pie!

Staggering. A million quid worth of prize money and all races televised yet still people moan. Not to mention year one was a roaring success in both attendance and betting turnover.

In it's first year, it's also provided a subsequent double Group Three winner (who has a reasonable chance of climbing even further) who's victory prior to AWCD was a handicap win off 93.

Also think about this from TV coverage, C4 aren't going to give a weekday Countdown or Come Dine With Me or Deal Or No Deal the elbow but it's much easier to crowbar Lingfield in on a bank holiday when viewing figures are lower.

Slim, firms can't even price Royal Ascot or top quality international races up properly FFS!

I'm just moaning because I was hungover and we had to hold 457 arbs for ten minutes. It was the worst Pricewise performance of my time.

Bollocks - who wants to watch this crap ?

All very well Channel 4 covering it but there is a long list of days they should be covering before it . Anyone who thinks it is better racing than the Craven meeting clearly needs treatment .

I'm just moaning because I was hungover and we had to hold 457 arbs for ten minutes. It was the worst Pricewise performance of my time.

Sadly the story of the all-weather season didn't fancy appearing at Lingfield despite going up 14 stone in 3 months, hopefully Maontri is back soon :)

Bollocks - who wants to watch this crap ?

All very well Channel 4 covering it but there is a long list of days they should be covering before it . Anyone who thinks it is better racing than the Craven meeting clearly needs treatment .

The Good Friday slot makes it attractive.

The Good Friday slot makes it attractive.

That's the key fact.

I agree with Gamla.

I also agree about the other meetings but its not either or.

they stuck their neck out with this meeting and was rewarded with a proper crowd. Deserves the support

Last edited:
Back