Who's Happiest The Season Is Over?

Financially it has been painfully attritional for me.

But as for the quality of horses its produced I tend to agree with Andrew Hurley (in fact in terms of achievement I would put it up there with any of the seasons since I have been watching flat racing (i.e. since 1972).

We have been treated to the best French middle distance filly since Allez France; the best 8 furlong French filly since Miesque; a top class Derby winner who may have become one of the all time greats if allowed to line up at either Longchamp or Santa Anita (on the HTN line surely he would have outstayed both HTN and RP on Saturday?); a great Guineas winner becoming only the second horse to win Eng/Ire Guineas, St James' Palace and Sussex; a top class middle distance 4 year old during the summer in the Duke; Yeats equalling Sagaro's triple Gold Cup feat and signing off with an emotional first and long overdue French Group 1 success; and the first ever English trained Breeders' Cup Classic winner (further enhancing the the status of this year's crop of milers); and the classiest St Leger winner probably since Oh So Sharp, and probably the most fast improving 3 year old handicapper since Shareef Dancer, who quite incredibly went on to bag the Breeders Cup Turf - a race who's European victims include no less an individual than Dancing Brave.

The juvenile division has admittedly failed to unearth a clear star, although Brian Meehan's animal showed an amazing turn of foot to overcome trouble in running on Saturday to make the Royal Lodge winner look very average indeed.

All in all, if one can leave their "pocket" out of the equation, this season has been a purist's joy to behold.

Yep, was just saying about to a friend about how much I had enjoyed this season - I have been struggling to get motivated about the flat season for a good 5 years now, but this season has definitely changed that again.

The quality of horses on show this season compare very favourable to the mini "golden period" at the turn of the century, which had the likes of Montjeu, Dubai Millenium, Gaileo, Fantastic Light, Sakhee, Giant's Causeway, Rock of Gibraltar, High Chapparal and Falbrav for us to enjoy.

The one disappointment of this year was that the 10f - 12f all aged Group 1's in England / Ireland did not quite live up the usual standard IMO - one or two genuine quality animals in each, but the rest distinctly Group 2/3 class. It is certainly a pity that Henrythenavigator and (in particular) Raven's Pass did not get the chance to step up in trip earlier in the season and contest these events.

Have hardly had a bet all year and lost a negligible amount over the course of the season, but I only really bet as a hobby so that doesn't detract from it at all for me.

I think the main problem was not with the quality of horses but the lack of match ups or clashes. Bar Henry and Ravens Pass (and even at times we did not know how good they were) the rest only met when one was off their game (DOM vs NA and DOM vs Zarkava).

For me the race of the season was the Gold Cup because the race turned into a real battle.

(on the HTN line surely he would have outstayed both HTN and RP on Saturday?)

No. And wouldnt have beaten RP for sure. Taking that particular horse to Cali would have been a huge risk given his temperament.

As for there being no juveniles, has Rainbow View been forgotten about or something? Is it that because there are no sparkling juveniles from Ballydoyle then the whole division is written off? :)

The one disappointment of this year was that the 10f - 12f all aged Group 1's in England / Ireland did not quite live up the usual standard IMO

Very true and as fine as DOM is, there is the nagging "what did he beat" question.

Last edited:
No. And wouldnt have beaten RP for sure. Taking that particular horse to Cali would have been a huge risk given his temperament.

As for there being no juveniles, has Rainbow View been forgotten about or something? Is it that because there are no sparkling juveniles from Ballydoyle then the whole division is written off? :)

I would imagine because Rainbow View is challenging for Champion Two Year Old, but her rating and that of the rest is some way behind that of recent top class champions. But I would not worry about the two year olds too much.

Not overly concerned with ratings against previous years when looking at two year olds. Probably rather listen to Luca's observations than some anorak with a stop watch and slide rule. Shes performed wonderfully and is very exciting indeed.

A fantastic season in my opinion, I was away for the whole of July and August so missed the "crap bit".

Natagora, Equiano, Donatavium and Conduit helped to make it my most profitable flat season by a long way.

Some epic performances, Zarkava was the top drawer performer for me but Raven's Pass, Henry, DoM, New Approach and Goldikova were all brilliant. I can't think of a season with so many star performers.

The period from the end of Royal Ascot through to the QEII was pretty poor, mostly down to the awful weather. Either side of that was great.

That`s most of the season. That`s why it was shit until October. We didn`t know how good Zarkava was until the Arc and the real deal Raven`s Pass didn`t show up until the end of September. Royal Ascot was ordinary as was Goodwood and York was a washout.

Last edited:
Not overly concerned with ratings against previous years when looking at two year olds. Probably rather listen to Luca's observations than some anorak with a stop watch and slide rule. Shes performed wonderfully and is very exciting indeed.

John Gosden trains Rainbow View. He, among with many shrewd judges have speculated that she may not train on due to her lack of scope.

Also, will you please stop this juvenile racially motivated nonsense btw (not disimilar to your leading comment last week re: Well Chief/War Of Attrition. You ought to do something about the chips on your shoulder.

It is fairly evident the overall quality of the juvenile brigade this year has failed to set the pulse racing, Rainbow View notwithstanding. The comments on here have nothing whatsoever to do with Ballydoyle's failure to unleash an obvious superstar.

A quick question numbersix, surely both of these were the same horse weren't they ?

Hi LC, I was referring to Goldikova in the latter category! Perhaps an exaggeration I grant you, however Freddie Head did briefly desrcirbe her as being better than Miesque on Saturday - somehow I doubt that, but Goldikova was mighitly impressive in quickening up.

Also, will you please stop this juvenile racially motivated nonsense btw (not disimilar to your leading comment last week re: Well Chief/War Of Attrition. You ought to do something about the chips on your shoulder.

Numbersix,
Can you explain (i'm lost) where exactly the racial nonsense is?

Hi LC, I was referring to Goldikova in the latter category! Perhaps an exaggeration I grant you, however Freddie Head did briefly desrcirbe her as being better than Miesque on Saturday - somehow I doubt that, but Goldikova was mighitly impressive in quickening up.

No I agree Goldikova was brilliant, though here on French TV Freddie Head also stated that she really stays, and running over a mile was a change in plan simply to avoid ever coming up against her again. So there's a fair chance we may see her over further again next year.

Judging on her run at the Breeders Cup she should stick to a mile....that was her best ever performance visually and in the formbook. I am not sure she got 10 furlongs against Zarkava.

No I agree Goldikova was brilliant, though here on French TV Freddie Head also stated that she really stays, and running over a mile was a change in plan simply to avoid ever coming up against her again. So there's a fair chance we may see her over further again next year.

Excellent news - I think she could really improve next season as she only really came into her own in the second half of this term.

On breeding she looks to have every chance of staying at least 12 furlongs, hopefully bringing tilts at the Irish Champion, Eclipse and International into the equation. Her two half siblings Gold Sand and Gold Round won in pattern company over an extended 10 furlongs, and although her sire is associated more with milers and sprinters at present, he did produce the top class middle distance performer Anabaa Blue who was out of a Riverman mare - himself slightly less of a stamina than Goldikova's maternal grandsire Blushing Groom.

I think with no Zarkava around next term she will prove an exciting filly to go to war with at a range of distances. It has to be said she looked a non-stayer in the Diane, however being mown down by the "super-filly" is hardly anything to be ashamed of, and I think with another winter on her back to mature and strengthen up, 10 furlongs at least will be well within her scope.

Back