Wigham Again.

From the Racing Post - you've just got to love the comments!:lol:

TOBY ATKINSON was suspended for seven days by the Wolverhampton stewards on Saturday after they found he had not made sufficient effort to gain the best possible placing when riding Erinjay for trainer Michael Wigham in the 5f claimer.
Newcomer Erinjay, a 33-1 shot, missed the break and never got into contention, finishing last of the nine runners behind Barnezet.
The 7lb claimer told the stewards that he had been reluctant to put his mount under too much early pressure to prevent the colt from blowing up in the latter stages, but Wigham conceded that the rider should have made more effort to close on the field and admitted that he was dissatisfied with his riding.

The stewards found Atkinson to be in breach of Rule 158 and suspended him from March 21 to 27 inclusive. They found Wigham not to be in breach of Rule 155, which deals with trainers' instructions to their jockeys.
Wigham, while unhappy with his rider's efforts, felt that the stewards had been harsh on the 7lb claimer.
"Toby's made a mistake and he'll admit that," said the trainer. "But he's a young lad who lacks experience, and how is he to get it without riding?
"I think it's ridiculous banning him, but what can you say. The stewards are like your mum and dad: even when they're wrong, you've got to respect them."

Didn't even notice Erinjay was a runner untill I see a horse pop round the bend into the straight running in its own little race, pretty shocking that one and the jockey only gets to work on his horse in the straight although if it is a genuine bad jockey error then the 7 day ban is pretty harsh but as much as I try my best to back jockies, rides like that make it hard.

Last edited:
Barney had a cracker a couple of weeks back - he had the Leger fifth from a couple of years back win off 45 and a German 2000 Guineas winner from 2007 beaten out of sight.

Someone should send him New Approach just to see how low he can get him in the handicap before winning.

If the Stewards are like his mum and dad, they should stop him from going out until he promises to behave fairly with the other children.

Back