William Kennedy

michael_o

At the Start
Can someone please tell me what error Will has made on Time for Rupert to justify a jocking-off? I suspect that the Littlecote Racing Partnership, in common with many owners, hold an unrealistic view of their horse's ability; TFR is going to struggle at the very highest level regardless of the jockey. I'm sure that Paul Webber only agreed to this extremely reluctantly and with a heavy heart. Will has taken it on the chin and his dignified response on Twitter does him credit.

As far as I'm concerned Will is every bit as able as the guy who's replacing him and I hope he can get a leg-up on another decent horse before too long.

They're probably disappointed with the horse and are trying something different. It's not always that they've done something wrong.

Last edited:
I get the impression there was a bit more to it than that, Michael. The Racing Post report says that Paul Webber has already stopped using him on his other horses. Also, the quote from Webber about "not wanting to wash his linen in public" suggests there may be some kind of issue there. Either that or it was a poor choice of words.

Last edited:
Maybe it's the trainer they should be changing?
As the jockey says, "the horse hasn't had the opportunity to show himself at his best this season", and starting him off around 2 sharp 3 milers, after taking all day to get on top over the Gold Cup c/d, can hardly be laid at the feet of his pilot.

I agree with the sentiments already voiced.

Will Kennedy has done little wrong, and it's a shame he has lost the ride.

The fact is that the horse is slow. I doubt he is ever going to be up to winning a decent race at the top level. He's a 160ish performer, nothing more. In my opinion he has always been overrated as a result of finishing 2nd to Big Buck's in the World Hurdle.

Wouldn't be too sure about that Zen, he was already rated 159 before he ran in the World Hurdle, the same mark he ran in the Charlie Hall off.
Maybe if he'd been trained for the Hennessy (which virtually all off his form suggests he should have) Will would still be riding him?

Not necessarily on the official ratings Reet, but in a lot of peoples' minds they think "2nd to Big Buck's, therefore good", if you see what I mean. I was never particularly impressed with him in his two Novice wins last season and was keen to oppose him in the RSA. The trouble was that I didn't like anything else so left the race alone. I am still convinced that the form is very poor.

I always remember Ruby's comment in a Cheltenham preview evening. It was about the RSA and he said something along the lines of "People keep saying that Time For Rupert was 2nd in the World Hurdle but he wasn't, Big Buck's absolutely pissed it and daylight was 2nd. Time For Rupert was just the best of the rest". I think he has it about spot on.

If he were mine I'd keep him going and see how he gets on with the long term aim being a shot at the Hennessy next year, as you suggest. He'd probably end up with a mark of about 160, unless he

A mate of mine is balls-deep in Grand Crus vouchers for the RSA. We were kicking his form around, and I suggested that Big Buck's may be a "horse-breaker".

Punchestowns had two straightforward victories in novice chases, failed miserably when a short-priced for the RSA Chase, and was never the same horse again.

Time For Rupert had two straightforward victories in novice chases, failed miserably when a short-priced for the RSA Chase, and hasn't looked the same horse since.

Grand Crus has had two straightforward victories in novice chases.

My mate is rattled. :D

You harsh bastard!!

I must admit to having Grands Crus all wrong (I think anyway). I wasn't sure he'd be a good jumper of a fence at all. He always looked 'guessy' at his hurdles and his balance was so downhill, both of which led me to conclude that he might come unstuck over the big'uns. There were signs of that in his first start (ie the ditch) but last time at Newbury he looked very assured. His looks to have grown this season and looks a far better balanced animal now.

With the Big Buck's point is it not that it is blatantly obvious how brilliant he is, but at the same time he toys with the opposition rather than destroying them. For that reason he never beats them by far, and as a consequence they might be overrated because of their proximity to him. I see your point though, and it's not one I had considered.

P.S. Just having a look to see if I can find the Ruby clip.

Jockeys get jocked off regularly for various reasons - most of the time for acting the goat - Denis O'Regan will be an able deputy but probably won't make the horse travel any faster. Denis is known to enjoy the high life too by all accounts.

A mate of mine is balls-deep in Grand Crus vouchers for the RSA. We were kicking his form around, and I suggested that Big Buck's may be a "horse-breaker".

Punchestowns had two straightforward victories in novice chases, failed miserably when a short-priced for the RSA Chase, and was never the same horse again.

Time For Rupert had two straightforward victories in novice chases, failed miserably when a short-priced for the RSA Chase, and hasn't looked the same horse since.

Grand Crus has had two straightforward victories in novice chases.

My mate is rattled. :D

Big Bucks takes horses to a dimension that no other horse wants to go to again.

Big Bucks is like the devil in disguise, after all money is the root of all evil.

Zenyatta -there is a clip on YouTube of Ruby telling Boylesports spokesman Leon Blanche that they wouldn't have the balls to take on Big BUcks.

The horse does appear to be struggling. Either there is something fundamental up with him, or the trainer is useless or the horse is simply not as good as we once imagined he might be. The rider seems to be the least of connections worries.

Just curious, but how many horses have gone from the staying hurdle division to considerable success over fences? Dorans Pride. Anything else?

Last edited:
Like many racing fans, I love this sweet little fellow, but he is physically undersized against the likes of BB - and a lot of other competitors - and he also has not got the revs. He's a nice, tidy jumper with a decent enough action, but unfortunately he really hasn't got a stronger pace or a fast finishing burst. Smashing at his own level, but sadly, and I hate to do this, I'm with SteveM's analysis. I just hate to see him struggle like this now.

Back