Won't be long now...

gigilo

Senior Jockey
Dan grew up in Nottingham and went to the Rushcliffe Comprehensive School. He graduated from Aberystwyth University with a degree in International Politics and Strategic Studies before attending the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. From Sandhurst he was commissioned into The Parachute Regiment and subsequently deployed to Kosovo, Northern Ireland, briefly to Sierra Leone, and on numerous occasions to Iraq and Afghanistan. During his service his postings included: Platoon Commander with 1 Para, Aide de Camp to General Sir Mike Jackson, Adjutant of 3 Para, and on promotion to Major he worked as a staff planner in the Permanent Joint Headquarters (Northwood) and then at the Army’s Headquarters (Salisbury). He also served as a Company Commander in the Special Forces Support Group.
In January 2011 he became the first person since World War 2 to resign his commission in order to contest a parliamentary by-election. He was elected on 3 March 2011, increasing the majority despite the reduced turn out that comes from a by-election. He was subsequently awarded the MBE for his service in the Army, which made him the first serving MP to be decorated for military service in many years.
On entering Parliament, Dan initially sat as a member of the Business, Innovation and Skills Select Committee. In October 2011 he was made a shadow minister for the Department of Culture, Media and Sport and in October 2013 he was appointed as a shadow minister for Justice. Dan was re-elected, again with an increased majority in May 2015 and now serves as a shadow minister for Foreign Affairs and as the Labour party’s lead for the 100th anniversary commemoration of World War 1.
Outside of his shadow ministerial brief, Dan takes an interest in a broad range of issues in Parliament, including: Defence, Security, International Development, Child poverty, Education and skills, Cancer, Care for the elderly and vulnerable, Volunteering, Fuel poverty, Culture, Heritage, Sport and the Countryside. Dan is also the lead MP for the Speakers’ Parliamentary placement scheme..
In Barnsley, Dan is a very active constituency MP and has worked hard to develop the profile of Barnsley. This has included working with businesses and stakeholders to support and develop the Barnsley economy – creating jobs for Barnsley people. Dan also campaigns to raise aspiration amongst young people, and to support skills and adult literacy programmes. Though not originally from Barnsley, Dan is passionate about the town and the people who live there. Shortly after being elected as the MP for Barnsley Central he launched the “Proud of Barnsley” campaign. He is a vice-president of Kexborough Cricket Club, an honorary patron of the Barnsley Youth Choir and a member of the Barnsley Harriers.
In his very limited spare time, the Yorkshire MP enjoys reading, running, hill walking, cycling and supporting Barnsley FC – all of which can be hard work at times! In 2013, 2014 and 2015 he ran the London marathon to raise money for Cancer Research UK. He has also previously led mountaineering expeditions in the Himalayas.
He lives in Barnsley with his wife and three children and their dog, Pip – a mostly friendly Jack Russell Patterdale terrier cross

Dan Jarvis fingers crossed it won't be long now,group 1 winner compared to May and Corbyn...:ninja:

Last edited:
Spot on: my choice of phoenix to rise from the imminent incineration too

A pal and I scraped together a pony and had a punt on him at ~16/1 (if memory serves) in the early stages of the post-Miliband leadership beano

Jarvis has been wise enough to keep a very low profile: softly, softly...

He and Starmer (who appears thoroughly ill at ease in his current job) should meld well

Let's hope so,think i got 25/1 and a 100/1 for PM not quite sure,is sure to be nearer to 5/1 tops after the general election anyway and I reckon he will only be around 16s for PM very very limited candidtares on both sides think he would be the biggest vote winner I've seen in my lifetime bar probably thatcher/blair but his would be on merit..:cool:

Good luck to Dan Jarvis.

He's not tarnished with the banking crisis, mass migration, or Iraq, so that will bode well for him.

I watched Gordon Brown tonight on BBC parliament. I thought he gave an articulate speech about how Labour helped lower child poverty, (which is increasing again statistically).

I took swipes at him over the years, which seemed well founded at the time, especially when he sold gold off at a fifth the price to China, but Gordon Brown has taken way too much abuse from what I call armchair politicians, and the far right.

It's easy to blame Labour for everything, which David Cameron tapped into.

Many of these verbal accusations mislead the public, (calling Ed Milliband an arsonist, was a classic example).

The truth about Labours so called failures, is that the Conservatives would have followed the same policies' at the time, especially on Iraq, and bankers.

The policy of austerity shouldn't be a long term plan either.

As well as hurting the poor, this is going to choke off economic growth at some point, which Ed Balls did predict, until a time when the government decide to steal a few profound ideas, like Ed Milliband's energy policy recently. They'll be scrapping Trident next!

So good luck to anyone including Dan Jarvis that wants to help a party that's been overly castigated, hammered and manipulated by political opportunists and trick-cyclists for about a decade. :)

Last edited:
I took swipes at him over the years, which seemed well founded at the time, especially when he sold gold off at a fifth the price to China,

No one ever really got to the bottom of that one, but it seems quite possible (indeed likely) that it was an early backdoor banking bailout to save Goldman Sachs a liability that they'd run up on a carry trade gone toxic

You never know, Warbler. The big thing contemporary politicians don't give their predecessors enough credit for, is that years later governments learn from previous governments mistakes, and they don't aspire to repeat them. Theresa May in 2017 understands the dangers of the banking sector probably more than Gordon Brown in 2007, not because she is a better politician, but because she has the benefit of nearly ten years hindsight and a pool of knowledge a decade greater than his.. I wish we'd see more appreciation of the different time-spans, (that do matter), when being the judge and jury on politicians.

There's nothing really authentic about criticising an MP unless you know the context and time period that shaped their decisions.

Last edited:
I wish we'd see more appreciation of the different time-spans, (that do matter), when being the judge and jury on politicians.

There's nothing really authentic about criticising an MP unless you know the context and time period that shaped their decisions.

Criticisms of Dianne Abbot I.R.A comments 34 years ago a prime example of this. Are people not allowed to change in 34 years?

And May is on record as saying she would not call a snap election, not to mention the U-turn on social care. It`s a sign of Tory desperation that they are scouring the archives to smear Corbyn. What was envisaged to be a penalty kick of an election could now be going to extra time. All because of the incompetence of our "strong and stable" leader and her team. We are doomed, I tell ya!!

From someone that has always been opposed to Corbyn I'm really beginning to rate the man. I just hope he does well in the debate tonight; I was very impressed with him v Paxman and again impressed with him on The One Show. Labour seem to have tapped into the optimism of youth; something that most of us lose as we get older [obviously]. I'm now in complete 'come the revolution' mode and seem to shedding a lot of my political cynicism by the day.

Just heard a Tory councillor claim that they'd shot UKIP's fox which is ironic considering that they want to tear it apart with dogs.

Back