York

trackside528

At the Start
Looks a tricky card with some fiercely competitive handicaps, a tricky Oaks trial and an average-looking renewal of the Duke Of York.

Will posts my thoughts up later when I go through the card in more depth.

Weather's been fantastic in York the last few days BTW, so I'd imagine the ground will ride good to firm.

Any preliminary thoughts?

11/4 is short enough about Photographic, though I'm not sure I'd be laying her given that the handicapper hasn't been overly harsh on her after winning a fairly decent Newmarket. Any number of unexposed horses in the race, though Tobond might be a shade big in the market at 25's.

Similar story in the first race really. Stone of Scone has the look of a progressive type, though I'm far from certain he'll be ideally suited by the ground today. If Rose Street progresses the way her imposing frame suggests, she could make a mockery of her handicap mark IMO. Meethaaq is the one that caught my eye though; totally unsuited by the way the Leicester maiden he won was run, but he showed plenty of pace to grab Inquisitive Look. Doesn't look thrown in off a mark of 90 by any means, but has the look of a typical Stoute older horse if he can progress where he left off.

The Musidora looks a tricky, if fascinating, race. Enticement's form has worked out very nicely and she appears to have pointing towards the race for a while, and if she can beat High Heeled (ground concern perhaps?) nicely she will surely spring to the head of the Oaks market. I certainly will be opposing Sariska on this ground today.

Elsewhere, Dohasa is of some interest in the Duke of York. Has his conditions today though, in all honesty, he probably isn't quite this level and I can see him getting outpaced before running on in the last couple of furlongs (hopefully into a place!). Marching Time (4.55) is clearly highly regarded and could well make his (rather leniant) mark look ridiculous, though 9/2 doesn't exactly appeal in such a competitive handicap. 40/1 about Satwa Gold does though, should be capable of further progress up in trip today.

The more I look at the card, the more I'm convinced it's a minefield. Lot of future pointers to come from today.

Sir Gerry was generally dissapointing last year (bar an excellent third at Royal Ascot), but if he's right today his Golden Jubilee form surely gives him an excellent chance. Ground possibly a concern (though the Ascot run was on good to firm), though it's said to be in excellent condition.

Spot on with Dohasa trackside, he jumped out last night. 33/1 is huge given some of his performanes in Dubai, where Murtagh made a right meal of it on at least one occasion.

I actually think Photographic should be a lot shorter than 3/1, I normally try to go against these unexposed types in handicaps as they are normally far too short but she was impressive at Newmarket and beat some decent yardsticks. I've not gone overboard but had a nibble at the 3s that 365 were offering last night. In the same race, not too sure how Johnmanderville is 25/1, loves fast ground and might be some more improvement from him yet.

In the last, Barwell Bridge seemed big at 16s but I'll play that by ear. He's always there at the end of his races and put in some decent performances on the clock over the Winter.

Last edited:
I actually think Photographic should be a lot shorter than 3/1, I normally try to go against these unexposed types in handicaps as they are normally far too short but she was impressive at Newmarket and beat some decent yardsticks. I've not gone overboard but had a nibble at the 3s that 365 were offering last night.

Yep, I've had a small few quid on too for an interest.

The 4th from her Newmarket race, Good Again, come out before the handicapper got his mits on them and won off 85. She's since gone up 10lbs.

The 5th, Gaily Noble, was second off 83 in a 0-85 handicap at Warwick yesterday.

Edit: just to emphasise the importance of Good Again coming out and winning - her old rating of 85 appears to have been the yardstick used by the official handicapper to put Photographic on the rating of 89 she runs off of today...

Good start from Godolphin.

They really need a bold showing from Kite Wood tomorrow or else their three year old crop can virtually be done away with already.

I really like North East Corner (e/w) in the 2.10.

Enticement is a good bet at 15/8 with doubts about rivals and her form working out well.

10 furlongs should suit, do you think she would get the full Oaks trip Steve?

Although her DI is higher than a typical Oaks winner (1.91) and she has no stamina points in her profile as such she has a concentration of mid-range Classic points that outweigh her speed influences (dominant classicity). This gives her a fair chance of staying the trip, although I can’t be adamant.

Busy at work today so I missed the race. I gather she did it well. Took a very modest amount of 11/4 this morning. She might be my way back in to the TTF.
I gather she's gone favourite for the Oaks?

Just seen the replay. If I was being hyper critical she took a while to get up to full momentum, but once she did she went away from them nicely. Her style of racing strongly suggests she'll be fine at 12 furlongs.

My other bet today Beauty O'Gwaun battled well to get up at Naas. Just won but the pair pulled well clear. A nice performance.

Two really enjoyable two races....

Internationaldebut winning over 5 furlongs - running in 10 furlong maidens last year!

And just now the fillys race, what a fantastic effort from Crystal Capella. Great low head carraige and kept battling and battling.

Two really enjoyable two races....

Internationaldebut winning over 5 furlongs - running in 10 furlong maidens last year!

And just now the fillys race, what a fantastic effort from Crystal Capella. Great low head carraige and kept battling and battling.

Shame there had to be a loser of that one. The pair pulled well clear. Frankie probably went too soon on the runner-up though.

loathe to mention this Track

but the times at York yesterday weren't that fast - headwind??

got the feeling that there was a breeze messing with the times

Back