Constitution Hill

Amm Istabraq missed a year through no fault of his own and had absolutely nothing to do with age!! Have you forgotten 2001 already?

Never knew tbh because I left the UK 1999 after he won at Aintree and couldn,t watch racing because of Thai laws.....by the time I found a way round it I saw him is when he was pulled up and didn't even realize I missed a Champion Hurdle.

I never want to see Constitution Hill beaten and run up a sequence of around 20-25 races and then retire

No National Hunt horse has ever done so as far as I know and that's a record Nicky could achieve with this horse

Arkle was beaten several times, Mill House lost 17 from 34 of his races and Kauto lost more than his fair share Sprinter dotted his copy book bef0re jumping a fence

Last edited:
Yes, but 25 is not going to happen, certainly not with NJH mapping out its career.

Honeysuckle got to 17 unbeaten until she started taking on decent males.

For me, more noteworthy was Big Buck's's run of 18 straight wins although he was far from a winning machine on his way through the ranks and enthusiasm is tempered by the fact he was, much like Istabraq at shorter, far superior to anything at a trip. Isty won 21 of his first 24 races over hurdles, and two of the defeats were over further in soft ground. In his next three he fell in two with the race at his mercy.

I think it must help when you can win G1s without having a hard race because you're better than the average G1 horse,which both Isty and BB were, and CH clearly is, but, for the record, I think CH would give Isty a stone and beat him. He can never prove it and he'll never be asked to hit 195 on the track because Nico will look after him but State Man is probably a stone better than anything Isty ever beat and CH would have laughed at him.

It i an amazing achievement when you think about it..horses that were never beaten were

54 Kincsem Hungary
25 Black Caviar Australia
19 Peppers Pride United States
18 Eclipse Great Britain

Another was Arkle's grandsire which explains where his speed came from, the Italian bred Nearco who won 14 undefeated

Ofcourse flat horses retain their speed over more years because they start younger

Others were unluck not to get many more wins before losing Bula was going for 14 on the trot when he walked through the last and failed to get up by a neck but won his next 3 incl the CH

Maybe the unluckiest of them all was Sprinter Sacre who would have probably won over 20 races but for illness.

Sprinter never missed a trick running 10 times winning all in 2 seasons....So much for Nicky wrapping them up in cotton wool

Records are one thing, how a horse races is another. Constitution Hill has done it with ease as if out for a training spin and done it in style with the way he flicks over the hurdles as if they are not there. If he never runs again - God forbid - he’ll still be the best I’ve seen.

Yes, the better they are the easier they seem to do it.

That's part of their gift.

And CH is probably the best hurdler (in terms of ability, I haven't studied his technique, to be honest) I've seen.

Nicky saying he may be ready for Punchestown

Reading the piece in the RP I’d say that’s long odds against and the target is really to get him back for the Fighting Fifth

"If he's ready to go to Ireland then that would be fantastic, but we're taking it step by step and if he doesn't give us the right signals then we want to be ready for next season's Fighting Fifth."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A nothing statement really. Fighting fifth it is next I would think. Now can we stop with the constant updates. Just let us know when and if he's next ready to run. Still he keeps the papers going I suppose.

Not much of a racing fan if you don't want to know as much as possible about the welfare of the best horse in training.

Nicky is not keeping him in training to not run him.

He's taken the yards best horse there a few times including Sprinter Sacre, Buveur d'Air and Bobsworrh

The ground should not be a problem if the last tears is anything to go by.

Apparently he will do his first bit of serious work this week so like it or not another update is sire to be on the way.

Apparently he will do his first bit of serious work this week so like it or not another update is sire to be on the way.

Statement from Nicky Henderson

"We worked Constitution Hill and although we were happy that he has fully recovered from his infection, unfortunately a piece of woodchip kickback was seen to be lodged temporarily between the cheeks of his arse and consequently we have decided to send him to summer grass in order to mitigate any unknown risk of chaffing. Regrettably he won't be going to Punchestown and he will now be prepared for a winter of prevarication and mind numbing proscratination. In the best interests of the horse."

Last edited:
Statement from Nicky Henderson

"We worked Constitution Hill and although we were happy that he has fully recovered from his infection, unfortunately a piece of woodchip kickback was seen to be lodged temporarily between the cheeks of his arse and consequently we have decided to send him to summer grass in order to mitigate any unknown risk of chaffing. Regrettably he won't be going to Punchestown and he will now be prepared for a winter of prevarication and mind numbing proscratination. In the best interests of the horse."

:lol::lol::lol:

Michael Buckley has made it specifically clear he is 100% behind going to Punchestown.

He did however not mention anything about taking Constitution Hill with him :lol:

Wish to hell we knew what is going on

Ebor is more valuable. Not by much, admittedly, but there's no advantage from a stud perspective due his being a gelding and the Ebor trip might be better for him at this stage. Also more likelihood of more suitable ground at York and having an easier race if they can get him into it off about 100.

A diddy maiden, a weak Conditions race to get him a mark and if they need to they can give him a third run to get it to 100 or just over. If he's a Gold Cup horse he'll still be a good 20lbs well in off that kind of mark.

To be honest, though, I wasn't being entirely serious.

Now, if I owned him......

statement from hendo

GJ_MTbaWkAADCT4

most definitely won't see him again this season

Yeah that’s a tough one. Colic is always my biggest nightmare scenario having lost two to it.

Lets hope so but how on earth did they manage to keep this quiet for 4 days?

There's a big difference between Colic and suspected colic and by all accounts he didn't have Colic.

A bad attack can take weeks to recover from a less severe case can be treated and the horse back to normal in 3 or 4 days.

As this seems to be the latter for the first time I agree Nicky is looking for and excuse not to run him........or is too scared to even try

Last edited:
How hard will it be for him to return at the highest level Jinny.Would you think he is a little bit fragile or just unlucky.

If it is colic (which covers a large amount of any sort of abdominal pain) then I wonder if it’s his gut responding to a lot of medication used to treat his recent infection? Horses do have an incredibly sensitive digestive system and can struggle with change (if you change their feeds, you should introduce it gradually rather than just switching abruptly) and it’s possible that his gut flora may have been affected by the antibiotics.

But colic is a very complex condition and often there is simply no explanation as to why they get it and why it’s often so life threatening (happy to be informed further by our two resident forumites with more vet knowledge, Troods and edgt).

Back