Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Well he did have a bad bout of ringworm which probably affected him and his subsequent efforts.

Best Mate after his 3rd Gold Cup.
Though Hen was pilloried for 'cotton wooling' the horse, subsrquent events proved her wiser than her critics.
Shades of Hendo,indeed?

Last edited:
Well he did have a bad bout of ringworm which probably affected him and his subsequent efforts.

Yes, was it therefore a bit of a gamble by the trainer,who was also a vet, to run him in such a big race as the Arc after his ringworm? Did it mean he didn't have enough time to recover in time for the Champion Stakes?

In a way it's just as well Frankel came along to end any discussion about what the best of all time was.

To be fair the occasion, with every photographer in Europe sticking a lens in the horse's face, jockey error, jockey losing his stick and bad luck all contributed to Nijinsky's Arc defeat.
John Oxx commented the day Sea The Stars was in the Arc parade ring how crowded and claustrophobic the place was especially with one horse taking all the attention.
" I now realise how a horse like Nijinsky could boil over and lose his race before it even started , I suppose Sinndar was lucky in that we had Montjeu to take that attention. "

Very sad. Saw Gavin Sheehan walk back in with the tack shaking his head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That might be the final straw for me that one. Only saw him on Sunday and gave him plenty of fuss. Shocking.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

That might be the final straw for me that one. Only saw him on Sunday and gave him plenty of fuss. Shocking.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

That’s where I am at the moment. Since I’ve been able to record the racing I haven’t been able to watch any of it. No matter how awful the fall looks I still pray that I’m wrong.

I noticed earlier he was jumping a bit low in front so it’s a possibility. It was a nasty fall and he twisted on his neck but it was very quick and I imagine that he died within seconds (sorry for the bluntness).

Been a particularly grim one. I hope that Chavez (?) at Leopardstown was OK...he fell heavily then looked dazed but I didn't see him get up properly and no update was given.

Can imagine those poor connection of Getagin cheering their head off one minute and seconds later having to watch that.

3rd horse this week that has been lost to accidents

Back