Jockey News

Whatever personal problems he had have just increased losing such a lucrative job.

He's earned over 200k a year for the past 5 years and no doubt has commitments

He's getting plenty rides at the moment but winners are scarce and things could get worse.

The Gosdens seem to be using Kieran Shoemark a lot these days. Is he going to be retained next year or just an associated jockey? Shoemark seemed to have a good future ahead of him in 2017/8 when he was retained by Charlton. In 2018 he blew it with a drugs suspension and with Covid intervening the road back looked difficult. He kept his head down and was lucky to be associated with Lady Bowthorpe. He then proved that was no fluke on the big day with his wins on Dreamloper last year.

Really lovely to see Callum Pritchard ride his first winner under Rules today when he won the first at Ludlow on Dans Chosen.

He only rode his first Pointing winner on April 16th this year for which I interviewed him. He then followed up with a double the following week and ended up both Wessex Area and National Novice Rider with 9 wins, which was pretty special in such a short time frame. He’s had a rather more unusual way into the sport as he was a huntsman prior to working in racing but a friend suggested he try riding out racehorses at Philip Hobbs and he was hooked. So pleased for him as he’s such a lovely lad. I’m due to go and interview him again on Sunday prior to the new Pointing season starting in a couple of weeks.

Yes, a matter of personal job satisfaction.

He'll be riding many of the top thoroughbreds in training, picking up G1 wins and places along the way and being part of one of the biggest operations in the world.

But it might not be enough for some others.

After joining the Andrew Balding jockey academy 3 years ago Harry Davies goes back to Newmarket to (it seems) be part of the Godolphin set-up.

David Egan announced as first jockey to Kia Amo Racing for two years.
A world class jockey with big race experience and family to guide him he should do Kia very well.
Wishing them all the best.
Hardly a marriage made in heaven - the owner's volatile and fires jocks quickly and David Egan lost the ride on Mishriff after his Eclipse balls-up.

Hardly a marriage made in heaven - the owner's volatile and fires jocks quickly and David Egan lost the ride on Mishriff after his Eclipse balls-up.

In fairness to Egan he had a great record on Mishriff and won the guts of $10million in win prize money on the horse.

Cieran Fallon has relinquinshed his role as Qatar sub and will ride as 2nd jock to Wm
Haggas.
No surprise to see him emulate hls dad's brilliance, in the fulness of time.

Conor O'Farrell riding on Friday after 6 months out. If you want to see an horrendous scar look on his Twitter account bless him. Hope he's supported as he deserves to be.

Jamie Moore has announced his retirement with immediate effect following advice from his doctors. Nice guy but I’ve never been his biggest fan jockey wise.

I met Jamie Moore once when he was riding for erstwhile TH member and all-round good guy Roddy Owen at the November meeting years back. Roddy had invited myself and a pal to join him for lunch in O&T where he was sat with Peter Bowen and his incredibly young sons Sean and James (both primary school age at the time, I’d say).

Jamie Moore couldn’t have been nicer when we were speaking with him in the paddock pre-race……unlike a certain Rupert Walsh who gave me short-shrift when I asked him about Hurricane Fly’s Morgiana chance the same weekend……the twat.

I hope JM enjoys his retirement.

Last edited:
That I can believe! But as a jockey I just didn’t rate him. Never thought he was “with” the horse. That seems like a huge generalisation but I invariably avoiding backing anything he was on.

Have to say that been unlucky, Josh also, with injuries so glad both have got out in one piece. Someone was at the yard recently and said Jamie was jogging along the beach in a neck brace. THey have two good jocks there in Niall and Caollin, but will J&J take over from Dad is possibly the question? Saw an interview with Gary a while ago where he said not although Josh always at the races helping etc so if not what do they do?

Back