What are you watching

Although I enjoyed it [perhaps not as much as the first series] I didn't understand The Killing at all.

The first or second series, Moehat? In the first one, I picked out the killer early on, but it was a lonnnggg series, while The Killing II was only 8 shows and over. Both fairly labyrinthine and I probably could see No.2 again to get all the pieces of the jigsaw in place properly.

The first series was so long it wasn't worth trying to piece it all together, so I just let it wash over me. I felt with this series it would be possible to keep tabs on what was happening, but I failed right from the start. Not that I'm any good at working out what's happening at the best of times. A lot of it just didn't ring true with this one. However, I still can't wait for the next one!

Got a box set of "Rome" as a present last night, is it worth watching or should I flog it on Ebay before i open it?

I'd recommend doing a scene search for the bit where the muckle yoke starts whacking it into Cleopatra, then throw it away once you have your breath back.

:cool:

redhead; is that the film set in America/Canada that about a boy [whose parents are moving house] and a little white pony? It used to be on at Christmas for several years, but haven't seen it for a long time. A sort of Chistmassy right of passage film that was quite enchanting and magical. Would love to see it again. Ah, no; that was The Last Winter [1990].

Last edited:
I caught the last half hour of The Lost Christmas - wish Id put it on to record now, it looked fabulous once Id worked out what was going on.

Just watched "Nativity" - the Martin freeman film. Didnt get to see it at teh cinema when it came out (last year??) wonderful stuff :)

Liked Nativity! a lot. Then caught the last half-hour of The Nutcracker (a 2000 version by Covent Garden) and now enjoying the mad Miranda Hart and chums. Patricia Hodge plays a wonderfully status-conscious aspirational mother, constantly disappointed by Miranda's gauche and hearty lumpiness.

Oh, I love Miranda Hart; the episode where she and her mum went to see some sort of counsellor was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I sat in bed with a glass of plonk watching last night's episode and laughed myself stupid. Did anyone see Miranda Hart in that series she did a few years back ;Hyperdrive? Must get it on dvd sometime.

She got some stick from critics for her addresses to camera - or, us, the viewers - which I thought was daft. It was refreshing, drawing us in on the joke and, from the sound of the roars, the studio audience loved it, too. No, haven't even heard of Hyperdrive, Moe, so that's one for me to try and see some time.

Watched the new offering from Denmark - this one is free from bodies, being a political drama with all of the usual back stories to personal relationships we've come to expect from Scandi series: Borgen (Government). It's Sunday nights, double bill to 10, Beeb 4, 9-11 pm. Great acting, plenty of political plotting and counter-plotting, snitches, and ambitious guys with naughty secrets.

Watched the new offering from Denmark - this one is free from bodies, being a political drama with all of the usual back stories to personal relationships we've come to expect from Scandi series: Borgen (Government). It's Sunday nights, double bill to 10, Beeb 4, 9-11 pm. Great acting, plenty of political plotting and counter-plotting, snitches, and ambitious guys with naughty secrets.

Saturday night. Very well acted.

So it wasn't! Well spotted, old bean. It's been a very fraught few days trying to close on the sale of the flat - even this afternoon, I find I am not in funds, though my solicitor is, as she has failed yet again to do something critical. Just as well I'm able to stay on in the flat by renting it from the new buyer - I'd have arrived at the new abode to find it hadn't been paid for by her transferring the dosh! What with Virgin cutting off the landline as well, partially acting on my instruction to NOT cut off services today, I'm surprised I still know my own name. Thank God it's an easy one to remember, like Arabella Horsington-Winterbottom.

Almost finished Dexter (superb)

What to look at next

Boardwalk Empire
Breaking Bad
Californication

Anyone seen any of the above or recommend something top class?

Breaking Bad is awesome. Excellent premise, fantastic performances and just really original. Setting it in New Mexico was a masterstroke. Looks a gorgeous place. Not seen the other two but will eventually check out Boardwalk Empire.

Justified is just starting it's third season. The first I was very impressed with, the second I start at the weekend. It stars Timothy Olyphant as a US Marshall who does things his own way (I know, sounds awful) but it works really well and Walt Goggins is in it so it is a must see.

I saw the first Breaking Bad shows and enjoyed it a bunch, and yes, the setting is absolutely gorgeous-looking - something different for us over here.

I'll have to buy another DVD player now - I gave the previous one away after never using it, but from March I'm out of a cable area and I'm not sure if I'll get Sky or not.

But, in case I do Sky, has anyone got any recommendations about the best package to sign for? I won't need b/b as the laptop's being treated to a Dongle, and I won't need a landline as I'll use Skype and a mobi. Just want a decent tv package if I can get it installed.

Top Gear started another run last night and although it's taken a lot of stick recently and it's far too scripted nowadays when you just put them in three cars and tell them to drive around a bit, comparing them, it still actually works.

I'm finding the subtitles difficult to read on Borgen. Not sure if it's because I've claimed the sofa on Saturday nights so I'm further away from the telly than I was for the Killing or Spiral.

Back