Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

Sholokov, sire at 25.
A hell of a racehorse, made the pace for High Chapparal in Irish Derby 2002 and for Hawk Wing in Eclipse Stakes 6 days later, putting both to the pins of their collar.
Saw him at Glenview Stud last year and he looked a picture.
In Don Cossack he sired one the best looking horses I ever saw.

I missed this until this morning. A total of 4 horses sadly lost their lives at Newton Abbot on Tuesday evening in separate incidents
RIP Happy Helen, Hallowed Rose, Bala Brook and Cuzzicombe
The BHA is to launch an investigation into what part the ground may have played
This follows3 deaths at each of Market Rasen and Cartmel in the last month

Thoughts with all connections

Thomas Crapper RIP

In brighter news - Shantou Flyer has retired to Olive Nicholls :)
Shantou has just finished an amazing season Pointing ending up as Leading horse in Wessex. And I have to say Olive is delightful especially in interviews. Really polite and well mannered young lady who I think will do well if she chooses to train which looks likely.

Probably one of the greatest for so many reasons. And wonderful that he had such a happy, long retirement.

What a great horse Istabraq was. A couple of thumping CH wins, and a closer one for good measure - would have won a fourth, but for F&M in 2001. So dominant.

RIP, lovely Istabraq.

Dads Lad.
For a third hand horse he gave the Ferbane lads some fun over 12 months; his price covered in his first two races, then after to Winter Festival Fairyhouse, Easter Festival Fairyhouse, Punchestown Festival, Ballinrobe feature race (Hewick second) Galway Festival(win), Killarney Rose Of Tralee Festival(win), Listowel Festival, Cheltenham October(win), Cheltenham November, Cheltenham Festival, Aintree Festival where injury stopped the express train.
Added to making the Racing Post cover he took his syndicate to places where the air is clean, the atmosphere electric and participation is sweet, victory all the sweeter.
A new life beckons for a dream horse.

Black Caviar RIP :cry: one of the few things that could consistently get me to wake up at silly o’clock and she definitely started my love of Australian racing. Sad, sad loss - to hear the racing tv commentary team choked up announcing it pretty much says everything you need to know about how much everyone loved her.

Vale Black Caviar

Attachments

• IMG_6904.png
    IMG_6904.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6905.png
    IMG_6905.png
    328.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6906.png
    IMG_6906.png
    499.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
It’s sad beyond belief. I can’t begin to comprehend how awful it must have been for the people looking after her knowing that she was going to be euthanised. Or what she herself must have gone through. Awful, just awful.

Back