What are you backing Today? Part 2

Here's a tip for everyone. Do not fall asleep when using your mobile phone for betting. I woke up and had backed Eastmore 51pounds @46/1 with no cash out available..tried to save some but they were off and running before I could do anything never went below 100 to lay in running...we live and learn😭
I'm done with online betting.

I decided three months ago I like face to face interaction and that's why all my betting is done now through the odd local shop.

It suits my activity fine. I'm not a professional gambler, never have been and never aspire to be.

The shops are fine for my odd ten or twenty quid bets.

Last edited:
What firm(s) run your local shops?

I don't fancy anything overmuch today, my one tracker horse Promethean is too short, so I'm just gonna tie together a couple at Chepstow (Saint Segal and Toss Again) into a couple of yanks with Al Mubhir in the opener at Newmarket (the front two in that market are worth attacking) and Bint al Daar at York.

So what happens if you're looking at the prices on Mon/Tues and fancy one, do Hills offer the same prices in the shops they do online?

Yeah Hills are pretty good now for ante post prices. They've got everything they've got online on those machines in the shops now.

If I want an ante post price from Betfred I can get it by asking.

You don’t feel you’re missing out on potentially better odds elsewhere, Marb?

Even at ten or twenty quid a bet an extra point about a winning price is worth another bet down the line. Margins are fine in this game.

As for today my only bets are in the Ces: the two long shots on that thread plus the two JP runners (win only). Marginal preference for The Shunter.

You don’t feel you’re missing out on potentially better odds elsewhere, Marb?

Even at ten or twenty quid a bet an extra point about a winning price is worth another bet down the line. Margins are fine in this game.
Nah not really.

The bank sending me emails about my level of gambling activity just tipped me over the edge.

I beiieve it could affect my ability to get loans etc in future for mortgages or anything like that aswell.

I'm happy whacking on my yankees down the shop. For the time being anyway.

Chepstow 4.00
Il Ridoto looks to have been given a great chance here off 140. I think he’s better than he showed in his run at the festival when he suffered from having been asked to go 3m at Kempton when he clearly didn’t get home. Happy also to put a line through his run at Cheltenham in April at the end of a long season.
I may be delusional but 9/2 seems very fair

Nah not really.

The bank sending me emails about my level of gambling activity just tipped me over the edge.

I beiieve it could affect my ability to get loans etc in future for mortgages or anything like that aswell.

I'm happy whacking on my yankees down the shop. For the time being anyway.
I think that’s sensible. And use cash when you go to the pub as well.

Chepstow 4.00
Il Ridoto looks to have been given a great chance here off 140. I think he’s better than he showed in his run at the festival when he suffered from having been asked to go 3m at Kempton when he clearly didn’t get home. Happy also to put a line through his run at Cheltenham in April at the end of a long season.
I may be delusional but 9/2 seems very fair
Bit late now but on Saturday morning PN was pretty much saying he wouldn't be ready "fit enough to run, will improve, PP the target"

And post race...

"You can do all you like with them at home but nothing compares to a run. I was thrilled with Il Riditto on Saturday and hopefully he will run well in the Paddy Power Gold Cup (16 November). He loves Cheltenham."

Thanks Chaumi
As you say a bit late but my own fault really as I didn’t consider the possibility the fat controller may only have had him half cooked
FWIW I’m not sure the horse really gets home over the stiff 2m 4.5 furlongs at the pace of a PP so I thought Saturday‘a slightly shorter trip would suit

Last edited:
Spoke to someone the other day who said PNs horses looked positively fat when he saw them recently and said virtually everything looks like it needs the run. Probably changed his feed regime and hasn’t got exercise to feed ratio right yet.

Kempton 7.15 Dynamic Talent.

He's being backed and I can understand why. He's a CD winner but often slow out the stalls. If he breaks within 3 lengths of the rest he can still win. It's just another egg and spoon race, after all.

Kempton 7.15 Dynamic Talent.

He's being backed and I can understand why. He's a CD winner but often slow out the stalls. If he breaks within 3 lengths of the rest he can still win. It's just another egg and spoon race, after all.
Dynamic Monkey would have been a better name for this horse.

He'll probably have a good day or two this winter, but I feel I won't be on again.

Back