2 Milers - The road to the Queen Mother Chase (Latest acceptors Feb 12th)

Wonder did Willie deliberately leave Footpad a few gallons short to justify a step up in trip

Leaving aside today, I find it bizarre they seem to be considering stepping him up in trip. Don't really see much in his profile that would make me believe something like the Gold Cup is a test he wants (and he's by Creachadoir ffs).

Leaving the injury aside, I wouldn't be all that despondent about today either. He was almost certainly short and Saint Calvados is a fair tool when allowed to dictate fractions from the front. As Slim says, doesn't account for Footpad's jumping though...

Last edited:
Hopefully if fit the loss today will spur them to send Footpad over

Would be a bad decision to send him over after an unsatisfactory defeat -the dial a bet offers a good chance to get the wheels back on the wagon against weaker opposition.

Don't know Mullins but my gut feeling tells me Mullins would go with the easier route. He strikes me, looking at it from afar, as a mindful type when it comes to his horses.

I just hope he did not hurt himself.
Shades of Carvill's Hill all those years ago.
Two milers have to have no memory of a bad jump to attack fences the way they do, and the way they have to.
Watch how Footpad twisted himself over the last two fences; never a good sign imo.
Gutted for all concerned but the winner is a real two miler.

He must be a tough bugger too after the race he had in last year's Arkle

If he gets his ground he is a player. Hopefully Altior doesn't suck him in Dec.

Fortia is **** poor tomorrow

As do many novices racing at a trip short of their optimum.

My point is that he doesn't have the speed for 2 miles at the top level going forward.

Altior to miss the Shloer Chase this weekend and wait for the Tingle Creek

Would wonder why NH even bother mentioning it to be honest

Would think following on from Saturday that Willie might send something over just to test the waters

Great Field would be some riot around them fences

He has 3 horses for 2 races - Hillly Way and Tingle

Pat Keane tipped Ballyoisin at 33s for Champion Chase in yesterday's Irish Examiner -that price is still available tonight -I see him at 20/1 by the weekend.

Altior is head and shoulders above everything else around.

Only lack of peak fitness or mishap stands in his way tomorrow. And in March.

Back