2-y-os 2016 incorporating First Season Sires

Colin I read this thread every time you update it. I just rarely have anything to contribute beyond the excellent level of information you give us already.

Me too Colin, I love this thread, I do contribute when I have something to say, ultimately though I don't have enough knowledge in this area to participate fully.

What does surprise me is that we haven't seen more of Frankel's runners yet? Do you think most of them seem to be late developers?

Two FSS winners today MAYSON with Nobly Born (Yarmouth !.50) and FOXWEDGE Tap Tap Boom (Epsom 6.45).

Sorry to keep banging on but this year's FSSs are different. As well as achieving higher score rates there are more top contenders this year. Last year it was about 2 sires really, even by early July. This year you have at least 6 who could end up producing most wins. I wouldn't like to guess who'd be champion FSS at this point.

Just a thought, but I've had a look at the racing careers of the 7 FSS whose progeny have won over £70k so far. Helmet raced in Australia but raced before his real second birthday. Bated Breath didn't race until he was a 3yo (reason unknown). The other 5 all had their first 2yo race on or before 11 June and three of them won in May. Is it possible that these stallions were all precocious and that this increases the chances of their progeny being the same?

Mayson's horses have probably been the biggest shock. We've had some maiden's recently over a mile and as I said previously I am really surprised not to have seen a few of Frankel's at the meets.

I just wonder if they are eyeing up summer prizes at Ascot/Doncaster/Goodwood and aren't wanting them overworkd on this wet ground we have had so far this year. All ifs, buts and maybes but it is really noticeable how few runners we have had out from the unbeatable one.

I was going to be backing Clef today for Fahey/Hamilton at Beverley. Unfortunately it is a non runner but was a decent price and prepared to ignore debut run where didn't set the world a light but didn't look in great condition. Half decent price today and would expect it to be far better for the last run. Well bred as well out of Dutch Art and dam out of Pivotal. One to keep an eye out for next time. Would probably back it next and then look how it looks in the parade ring and go in again if looking fitter.

Mayson's horses have probably been the biggest shock. We've had some maiden's recently over a mile and as I said previously I am really surprised not to have seen a few of Frankel's at the meets.

I just wonder if they are eyeing up summer prizes at Ascot/Doncaster/Goodwood and aren't wanting them overworkd on this wet ground we have had so far this year. All ifs, buts and maybes but it is really noticeable how few runners we have had out from the unbeatable one.

I don't think it's that much of a surprise. Most of us were expecting him to have back-end 2yos like he was himself - if anything the surprise is that he had three runners forward enough to acquit themselves admirably at RA. Given the combining factors of a number being in the hands of owner-breeder types out of middle-distance bred mares; the likelihood that they'll be free-going types who need to be taught to settle a bit before seeing the track, and the probability that the trainers may expect them to want decent ground or at the very least not want to bottom them by running on soft FTO, then I don't think there's anything odd in the Frankel offspring pipeline having dried up temporarily.

Last edited:
Fields Of Song a winner for FSS HARBOUR WATCH at Beverley (2.25) yesterday.

Very tight at the top of the table by wins; HELMET, MAYSON, ELZAAM and SIR PRANCELOT all have eight.

SEVEN HEAVENS goes for Frankel, Gosden & Juddmonte in the 2.30 at Ascot. Somewhat unusually for Juddmonte, he was bought as a yearling from Cheveley Park.

Back