2-y-os 2016 incorporating First Season Sires

A good afternoon for FSS followers; REQUINTO taking both divisions at Windsor, Groupie (1.50) and High On Love (2.20) and at Leicester (2.10) Pretty Vacant was a winner for ELZAAM.

Bell, with a stable strike rate of less than 7%, runs his 3rd 2yo (Cheval Blanche: this afternoon at Redcar) and she was in the gallop that raised attention that Hart Stopper was near the top of the Bell pile. A subsequent gallop left the impression she was going the right way.
If the stable was in some sort of form you might fancy a dabble but at 4-1 she looks pretty short. Bell badly needs some winners. By the way the sire of this filly is Stay Thirsty (2nd in Belmont Stakes and a son of Bernardini) who looks to be another FSS but I could be wrong.

Am I imagining it or are FSS sires scoring more wins this year than in recent years? Would be interesting to compare the YTD stats.

.....and Chevalier Blanche duly wins the first at Redcar (despite Jamie's best efforts) for Michael Bell and FSS STAY THIRSTY. While over at Leicester FSS HELMET picks up another win with Thunder Snow.

Thanks for the pointer ED.

PS not sure what "YTD stats" means!

Last edited:
There's a FRANKEL runner in the first at Catterick today. Queen Kindly is the first foal of Lady Of The Desert, a very smart sprinter who won the Group 2 Diadem Stakes of 2010. Available at 5/6 at the moment.

Nice nice filly that did it well.
bought by Austin Leahy for 2k as a yearling having made 3 as a foal.
Dam from family of irish Leger winner Sans Frontiers so Fox Dream will leave a nice nice profit if sold.

Last edited:
Has there ever been a sire to have made such a devastating impact with its early progeny?

I know that he was sent many of the best mares but this is bordering on the ridiculous.

For context;-

Galileo
27/5 High Command - 2nd Wolverhampton Maiden (16/1) - 1st Yarmouth Handicap (89) OR96
28/5 Global Genius - 3rd Doncaster Maiden (40/1) - 2nd Chesham Stakes OR90
24/6 Heliostatic - 2nd Curragh Maiden (5/1) - 1st Meld Stakes OR114
24/6 My Amalie - 4th Newmarket Maiden (25/1) - 6th Cherry Hinton Stakes OR95
30/6 Fly Me To The Moon - 4th Yarmouth Maiden (20/1) - sole start

Sea The Stars
3/6 Juvenile Lead - 6th Leicester Maiden (5/1) - sole start
13/6 Calorie - 4th Leopardstown Maiden (12/1) - 5th Patton Stakes OR84
20/6 Stars Over The Sea - 4th Leicester Maiden (3/1) - 4th Anniversary 4YO Hurdle OR99/141
29/6 Sea The Skies - 3rd Newmarket Maiden (25/1) - 1st Leicester Handicap (78) OR81
19/7 Anipa - 7th Newmarket Maiden (25/1) - 1st Cheshire Oaks OR98

Dubawi
26/4 Curtains - 3rd Brighton Maiden (25/1) - 5th Albany Stakes OR93
12/5 Gulf Punch - 5th Warwich Maiden (33/1) - 1st Catterick Handicap Hurdle (110) OR64/116
22/5 Dubawi Phantom - 5th Brighton Maiden (5/1) - 2nd Lingfield Derby Trial OR104
29/5 Confessional - 8th Haydock Maiden (7/1) - 2nd The Sprint Stakes OR106
30/5 Extreme Warrior - 9th Goodwood Maiden (20/1) - 1st Newmarket Maiden OR88

I don't have the exact figures to hand, but the last stallion I can remember to make this sort of impact with his first season runners and go on to sustain it, was Frankel's granddaddy Sadler's Wells. He wasn't quite as hyped on his retirement though, having been a FSS contemporary of the likes of El Gran Senor, Darshaan, Teenoso and Chief Singer, who had all been rated higher than him on the track.

the only one that lost Majoris if I remember correctly missed the break, was green in first furlongs and his trainer beforehand said he wasn't expecting a win as he wasn't fully fit. At the end of year its possible we could realise the upgrade of the thoroughbred is happening right before our eyes. Of course the ratings won't catch it because they're static but its clear Frankel's offsprings are running with an updated engine.

The Bell bandwagon rolls on and with another winner (3yo maiden) yesterday the stable strike rate stands at a mighty 8%. Today he runs 2 new 2yos at Newbury and Yarmouth. First up is Ronald R in the opener at Newbury. He's by Nathaniel who hasn't had a winner yet but has only had 2 runners.. He's out of a mare who traces back to Allez France. We've seen a lot of Ronald R on the gallops and I'd say he was a fair measure of Bell's 2yo strength this year (as seen so far). He' s not at the top of the pile but he's in the mix just behind those who appear to be the leading 2yos. I'd be surprised if he wins but I wouldn't be surprised if he runs a fair race.
Second up is Preobrajenska, who is almost as difficult to spell properly as say. Like Ronald R she is owned by Bill Gredley and is by Paco Boy out of a Zafonic half-sister to User Friendly. This is the Classic family of Royal Palace, Fairy Footsteps and Light Cavalry and even further back Humorist. Difficult to tie up this filly with other 2yos I've seen but she has twice worked in what seemed proper gallops with Cheval Blanche. She comes out just behind her I'd say, but Cheval Blanche does appear near the top of the pile and won well on her debut. I would be surprised if this filly is out of the first three today, but win I'd have to favour the Cumani or Haggas fillies.

Last edited:
Back