2000 Guineas

beardo

At the Start
This is my first thread here and was wondering if anyone had any interesting outsiders for the 2000 Guineas such as one raced maiden. Im sure there has been a similar thread somewhere but been searching and cant find it.

I have been tipped a horse in Pete Chapple Hyams yard at a massive price Monitor Closely. Ran third to Kite Wood on debut, 6th in the tattersalls millions on ground and at a distance that was deemed unsuitable by all accounts. He then proceeded to win his maiden at newbury on horrendous grounds. Being a half brother to Mount Nelson I am told he has improved physically a great deal.

Welcome to the forum beardo - about time we had a thread for this year's Guineas :D

Looks like a pretty open year this time around with no obvious standout 2yo at the end of last season (Crowded House possibly excepted, but I'm not sure if he's being aimed at it) so I'm sure there'll be plenty of lightly raced horses getting attention over the next few months.

This is the time of year that the early market moves start...most of which are based on nothing!

I would tend to agree with how wide open the guineas appear. Not often i will back a horse at 129-1 on betfair off a tip but the form looks solid and with potential improvement who knows.
Very average bunch of 2 year olds last year very disappointing.

Welcome Beardo,

Not really an outsider but I firmly believe that if Naaqoos turns up, it'll absolutely destroy the lot of them.

Can tell you a bit more about Monitor Closely.

He is not yet back in work, but he was a gross horse last year who took a long time to come to hand. The yard have a nicer type than him called Gibb River but Monitor Closely will easily be up to group class. He however will need 10f this season.

Fantastic Dubai of Mick Channon's is far better than it showed on début last term and has done very well in the winter months. He will need 7f and decent ground and connections still considering aiming for the Guineas.

At real long odds, Almuktahem and Highland Glen are very smart types of Stoute's. The latter will probably want 10f but the former is very special on what he showed me on the gallops last season. Saptapadi would be a dark horse who is held in the same regard Tartan Bearer was this time last year.

Not many at John Gosden's stand out at present whilst Willie Haggas has a nice Nayef colt. Godolphin have a potential superstar in the ranks but I won't be giving it's name until it's close to running. I have 100s and 125s for the Derby and I'm very sure he could be smart. I don't know when he'll make his début but I'll expect it to be in May sometime.

Godolphin have a potential superstar in the ranks but I won't be giving it's name until it's close to running. I have 100s and 125s for the Derby and I'm very sure he could be smart. I don't know when he'll make his début but I'll expect it to be in May sometime.

So that's October at Yarmouth then? :p

Now now Gamala !!!!

He's a very smart horse who was going to run in a listed fto last season but they wouldn't run on heavy ground.

Wait for it !!!!

He didn't go to Dubai to get ruined !!

I'm sure he is a very smart horse Flame, he just isn't in the right hands to win Classics these days in my opinion.

I've fancied numerous Godolphin horses long-term only for them to never appear again or end up in shit maidens or conditions races at Yarmouth and Redcar etc.

I wasn't far wrong with the last Godolphin horse I thought had a Classic engine, in fact was favourite but got injured. By the way anyone interested may like to know Ibn Khaldun is back in work in Dubai. He could have a run in the Dubai carnival but the aim is to come back ready for the Earl Of Sefton. He has been pleasing at Al Quoz and looks to have done well for his time off.

Sadly the same can't be said for Fast Company who is struggling to come back as if he will be the same class as when he joined Godolphin.

I disagree about the wrong hands Gamala. I personally think sending all the horses to Dubai is what has been f-ing them up. They have sent quite a few to France and kept a number of the nice ones back in England for the first time in ages. The one's that went to Dubai are the ones planning to run there. I think there will be a massive reversal in their fortunes this season.

Another favourite of mine (I know it's dragging off topic, sorry Beardo) Bankable has joined Chris Dwyer to be prepped for Mick De Kock. Joining the master of South Africa could be the making of this horse. He has tons of ability but matches ability with quirks. If anyone can get the best from him, it will be De Kock.

Last edited:
Can tell you a bit more about Monitor Closely.

He is not yet back in work, but he was a gross horse last year who took a long time to come to hand. The yard have a nicer type than him called Gibb River but Monitor Closely will easily be up to group class. He however will need 10f this season.

Fantastic Dubai of Mick Channon's is far better than it showed on début last term and has done very well in the winter months. He will need 7f and decent ground and connections still considering aiming for the Guineas.

At real long odds, Almuktahem and Highland Glen are very smart types of Stoute's. The latter will probably want 10f but the former is very special on what he showed me on the gallops last season. Saptapadi would be a dark horse who is held in the same regard Tartan Bearer was this time last year.

Not many at John Gosden's stand out at present whilst Willie Haggas has a nice Nayef colt. Godolphin have a potential superstar in the ranks but I won't be giving it's name until it's close to running. I have 100s and 125s for the Derby and I'm very sure he could be smart. I don't know when he'll make his début but I'll expect it to be in May sometime.

Thanks for that, Flame. Thought I remember reading that Gibb River was being used as a lead horse for nicer sorts last year, but probably off the mark!

Any news on Zacinto BTW? Interests me as a potential Guineas type.

Fair enough Flame, I hope you're right. Nobody likes to see good horses ruined but that is literally what they've done in recent years, I hope the change in policy pays dividends for them but I still wonder how harsh their training regime is in Europe.

Thanks for that, Flame. Thought I remember reading that Gibb River was being used as a lead horse for nicer sorts last year, but probably off the mark!

Any news on Zacinto BTW? Interests me as a potential Guineas type.

Gibb River was expected to be the lead horse for many 2yo's. It started that way but it became obvious it was a bad idea when they weren't getting near him in the work :lol:. In some of his later work, he was working 10L clear of Monitor Closely and also trounced It's A Man's World 16L on the Al Bahathri in a strong piece of work in September. It's A Man's World now no longer with Chapple-Hyam is rated 70 and looks handicapped to win off that, I think Gibb River is easily a 100 plus horse. He was due to run at Newbury in a race I bigged up Roman Republic (and done my knackers) but flipped in the stable yard and done a small bit of damage. He has been given plenty of time and is back in steady work. I think he'll be Chapple-Hyam's best horse this season and I wouldn't look too much into his first two runs, he was very green on debut and didn't get the mile second time out. If I was Chapple-Hyam I would be coming back in a 5f maiden and getting him well beat. Then I would find a 1m handicap off a nice mark in the 70s and have the house on it. Sadly Chapple-Hyam is not me and I expect he'll appear in a mile maiden around April at a leading track and be hyped into favourtism despite modest form.

Zacinto, awww you've mentioned one of my fav's. He's so lovely you could wrap him up in a big duvet and bring him home and give him a teddy bear. He loved the fast ground on his debut and 2nd time out he had, had his setbacks so was ring rusty. Given a break this colt is a huge horse, He is perfectly mannered as well and has a great battling attitude.
His mother Ithaca was a looker as well who needed fast ground and she was the daughter of the top class Realms Of Verse, and was by Distant View. This is where the need for fast ground comes for Zacinto who unlike many Dansili's doesn't want cut. He is only in very early stage work at the moment but has wintered well. He'll get a mile and further and is very nice.
I think he'll be group 1 class and is my 4th favourite colt in that yard. If he doesn't do well this year he'll make a lovely pet for someone. He walks around like a right dude and when the horses are fresh and bucking and squealing he just keeps on walking looking chilled as if it's all too much effort to mess around.

Fair enough Flame, I hope you're right. Nobody likes to see good horses ruined but that is literally what they've done in recent years, I hope the change in policy pays dividends for them but I still wonder how harsh their training regime is in Europe.

You would be surprised.

The work isn't like it was a few years back. A lot of the heavier lads and also the older lads seem to have been moved to the prep yards and it's mainly the jockey's who work them up Chippenham Hill and The Limekiln's.

Last season they were very patient with a lot of horses, too patient with the 2yo's in my opinion. A welcomed change however. I personally thought they trained a lot of horses for this season and wrote off last year.

The horses also seemed a lot more relaxed staying up Chippenham Hill a lot and whilst there was not many big race winner's last season I do think there was a lot of progress.

In terms of how hard they were galloped, I would easily say Chapple-Hyam, Cumani, Dunlop, Cecil and Noseda worked theirs much harder.

Saeed Bin Suroor trained them similar to Stoute last year. As I said, I think you will see a major change in the Godolphin results this season.

There's a number of nice 3yo's and the older horses could well be group horses. There's certainly some lovely sorts to go to war with this season.

You would be surprised.

The work isn't like it was a few years back. A lot of the heavier lads and also the older lads seem to have been moved to the prep yards and it's mainly the jockey's who work them up Chippenham Hill and The Limekiln's.

Last season they were very patient with a lot of horses, too patient with the 2yo's in my opinion. A welcomed change however. I personally thought they trained a lot of horses for this season and wrote off last year.

The horses also seemed a lot more relaxed staying up Chippenham Hill a lot and whilst there was not many big race winner's last season I do think there was a lot of progress.

In terms of how hard they were galloped, I would easily say Chapple-Hyam, Cumani, Dunlop, Cecil and Noseda worked theirs much harder.

Saeed Bin Suroor trained them similar to Stoute last year. As I said, I think you will see a major change in the Godolphin results this season.

There's a number of nice 3yo's and the older horses could well be group horses. There's certainly some lovely sorts to go to war with this season.

Any word on how Leocorno has wintered.

I was speaking with Peter Reynolds and they were thrilled with her debut effort and are keen on her prospects for next season.

Leocrono was a shock winner on debut and really she was expected to want further than a mile. But the race she won was weak.

She is another who has done very little but they seem happy with her, I would know more about her in March time. Stoute hasn't done a lot with his yet.

Wasn't in training at the end of last season and not in any of the prep yards.

Thought highly of as a 2yo (when with Mark Johnston) but met with numerous unavoidable setback's in the early part of last season. No news is good news as they say and I wouldn't be surprised if she was now taken up a roll at Dalham Hall.

Last edited:
Back