2000 Guineas

Delegator sure does look a nice type for this season but for me you hit the nail on the head in your first paragraph. It's very hard to imagine him in the same league as Crowded House, Control Zone and Skanky Biscuit. I was so taken to the latter named at Newbury on his intended debut when not entering the stalls and I was impressed by the majority in the paddock of the maiden he did win at the Berkshire track. Whilst beaten near on 4L in the Racing Post Trophy he was rather green and unbalanced and I personally thought he could mature more over the winter months than Crowded House.

Control Zone looked a million on his debut and was a bit bet for me at the time. He had reportedly been showing everything expected of him at home and when he chased home Ashram on his next start I'm inclined to trust that form more for Ashram than how he ran in the Dewhurst. At Newmarket that day, I just put two words by him in my racecard on my notes, "Met One". I personally thought that the Newmarket race was as good a 2yo race we saw last year and I held Wingwalker in the highest regard, such a shame he died, I really feel he was gonna be very special this season.

Crowded House when he won at Kempton was a horse someone rung me up to tell me in the morning this was stuffing 3yo Sharp Nephew at home and had stretched clear of Whispering Angel (Won the Washington Singer) in a good gallop. That form made him look a strong bet at Kempton and I must say apart from Orizaba's bloodless win at Newbury last year I don't think I witnessed a more impressive 2yo on track performance all season. I was impressed with his next tun as the horse which beat him has always been quality in my eyes. Those who know me personally know how much I lost on Donativum at Leicester and I thought he was a moral that day on his work at home with Seaway who at the time had respectable juvenile form. No matter how you look at Crowded House he has the ticks in the boxes and whilst I preferred Skanky Biscuit in the looks department (looks a bit like that Hobbs horse Pancake) the form is certainly top draw for Crowded House. Impressive at Doncaster I was told last week by a friend who has a horse with Meehan that none of the big guns were doing any more than very steady canters. However there were loud noises in the trade on Tuesday for Crowded House in the Derby market and he went from 14.5 to 7.6 rapidly on the Purple Site that morning which was shorter than he was trading with any firms at the time. Respectable on form as he is, 10/1 for the Derby simply isn't value at this moment in time.

In respect of Delegator I agree he is a nice type. Taking on debut as I said previously to you Pentire, I will repeat what my paddock notes on him were.

"Delegator 21/3, was a rangy sort with scope to improve further. Quite high up behind he was one of the more relaxed in the pre paddock not winnieing like the majority of these. He seemed relaxed and was relatively straight. There is likely to be more to come and put up a taking performance chasing home the winner but was nothing more than a nice type with scope for improvement"

I paddocked him again on the 22nd August and made the following notes.

"Delegator 31/3, No real physical improvement from début and similarly mannered in the pre paddock. Looked a little tighter but not stand out. One of the nicer types in the paddock, but again not a real presence to look at".

I didn't go to the Dewhurst but I would be interested to see how he has gone from two to three.

I'm not totally convinced he'll get a mile you know despite looking to stay on one pace in the Dewhurst. The race in my opinion was not a strong test of stamina and they seemed to just go an average gallop before making it a bit of a sprint. I know the time won't suggest this but the field was a bit clustered at the finish for me to accept the form as it was. as far as Dewhurst's went I'm also not convinced it was a vintage renewal. I would imagine he would make a nice 7f performer this season around group 2 level at best and I would expect him to entertain the Greenham this season on comeback unless it was too soft. Fast ground seems to suit but as previously said I'm not totally convinced a mile will be his trip. For that matter his mark of 115 looks about 12lb inaccurate for me on my figures. I think he was getting tired over 7f when he beat a pair of nice types in August (3rd was not fit but is an absolute machine) and on debut he wasn't best away and was driven to go forwards before getting tired late in the race. I would actually rather see him over 6f rather than a mile. If he were to be short for a group 3 over a mile on comeback I would be a layer rather than a player myself. I do like him though.

However I must stress I would have him in about 4th best at Meehan's and challenged for that position by Whispering Angel (won't see the best of him until this year) and Nasri (definitely wants fast ground). I wouldn't have Gallagher too far away either. I also feel well handicapped types Greensward and Wave Aside could be interesting this season if aimed correctly.

On the face of it, it has pretty much occurred to me that there is plenty of fire-power in this yard this season, a possible for Champion trainer?, certainly a strong hand in the classics, colts wise whilst Hibre Point was another of his talked up highly prior to its debut and really impressed me in the paddock before showing enough for me to take a 2nd look next time in the race.

In other words I don't want to give the name of a horse that works like a 100+ horse, which has currently been on the injured list. As wouldn't be uncomman for them to go missing and turn up at the sales.

luckily for the not so fortunate ones, that must mean nothing. our filly clocked the fasted ever run 5f in her training center over here in germany and still couldnt win a race!

Flame is there any news on Cole's Abbeyside as yet this year?

Thanks

Don't get Cole horses or hear of them so I can't help you there.

Come to think of it Dom, I think I read that somewhere. He must have gone out with the Dubai lot. When I speak to my mate at the weekend, I'll ask if he is with them.

Delegator sure does look a nice type for this season but for me you hit the nail on the head in your first paragraph. It's very hard to imagine him in the same league as Crowded House, Control Zone and Skanky Biscuit. I was so taken to the latter named at Newbury on his intended debut when not entering the stalls and I was impressed by the majority in the paddock of the maiden he did win at the Berkshire track. Whilst beaten near on 4L in the Racing Post Trophy he was rather green and unbalanced and I personally thought he could mature more over the winter months than Crowded House.

Control Zone looked a million on his debut and was a bit bet for me at the time. He had reportedly been showing everything expected of him at home and when he chased home Ashram on his next start I'm inclined to trust that form more for Ashram than how he ran in the Dewhurst. At Newmarket that day, I just put two words by him in my racecard on my notes, "Met One". I personally thought that the Newmarket race was as good a 2yo race we saw last year and I held Wingwalker in the highest regard, such a shame he died, I really feel he was gonna be very special this season.

Crowded House when he won at Kempton was a horse someone rung me up to tell me in the morning this was stuffing 3yo Sharp Nephew at home and had stretched clear of Whispering Angel (Won the Washington Singer) in a good gallop. That form made him look a strong bet at Kempton and I must say apart from Orizaba's bloodless win at Newbury last year I don't think I witnessed a more impressive 2yo on track performance all season. I was impressed with his next tun as the horse which beat him has always been quality in my eyes. Those who know me personally know how much I lost on Donativum at Leicester and I thought he was a moral that day on his work at home with Seaway who at the time had respectable juvenile form. No matter how you look at Crowded House he has the ticks in the boxes and whilst I preferred Skanky Biscuit in the looks department (looks a bit like that Hobbs horse Pancake) the form is certainly top draw for Crowded House. Impressive at Doncaster I was told last week by a friend who has a horse with Meehan that none of the big guns were doing any more than very steady canters. However there were loud noises in the trade on Tuesday for Crowded House in the Derby market and he went from 14.5 to 7.6 rapidly on the Purple Site that morning which was shorter than he was trading with any firms at the time. Respectable on form as he is, 10/1 for the Derby simply isn't value at this moment in time.

In respect of Delegator I agree he is a nice type. Taking on debut as I said previously to you Pentire, I will repeat what my paddock notes on him were.

"Delegator 21/3, was a rangy sort with scope to improve further. Quite high up behind he was one of the more relaxed in the pre paddock not winnieing like the majority of these. He seemed relaxed and was relatively straight. There is likely to be more to come and put up a taking performance chasing home the winner but was nothing more than a nice type with scope for improvement"

I paddocked him again on the 22nd August and made the following notes.

"Delegator 31/3, No real physical improvement from début and similarly mannered in the pre paddock. Looked a little tighter but not stand out. One of the nicer types in the paddock, but again not a real presence to look at".

I didn't go to the Dewhurst but I would be interested to see how he has gone from two to three.

I'm not totally convinced he'll get a mile you know despite looking to stay on one pace in the Dewhurst. The race in my opinion was not a strong test of stamina and they seemed to just go an average gallop before making it a bit of a sprint. I know the time won't suggest this but the field was a bit clustered at the finish for me to accept the form as it was. as far as Dewhurst's went I'm also not convinced it was a vintage renewal. I would imagine he would make a nice 7f performer this season around group 2 level at best and I would expect him to entertain the Greenham this season on comeback unless it was too soft. Fast ground seems to suit but as previously said I'm not totally convinced a mile will be his trip. For that matter his mark of 115 looks about 12lb inaccurate for me on my figures. I think he was getting tired over 7f when he beat a pair of nice types in August (3rd was not fit but is an absolute machine) and on debut he wasn't best away and was driven to go forwards before getting tired late in the race. I would actually rather see him over 6f rather than a mile. If he were to be short for a group 3 over a mile on comeback I would be a layer rather than a player myself. I do like him though.

However I must stress I would have him in about 4th best at Meehan's and challenged for that position by Whispering Angel (won't see the best of him until this year) and Nasri (definitely wants fast ground). I wouldn't have Gallagher too far away either. I also feel well handicapped types Greensward and Wave Aside could be interesting this season if aimed correctly.

On the face of it, it has pretty much occurred to me that there is plenty of fire-power in this yard this season, a possible for Champion trainer?, certainly a strong hand in the classics, colts wise whilst Hibre Point was another of his talked up highly prior to its debut and really impressed me in the paddock before showing enough for me to take a 2nd look next time in the race.

Thanks for all that Flame. Insightful as ever, though not what I suppose I would have wanted to hear but best hear it now than later. I will perhaps have another look around before deciding where to go.

Can tell you a bit more about Monitor Closely.

He is not yet back in work, but he was a gross horse last year who took a long time to come to hand. The yard have a nicer type than him called Gibb River but Monitor Closely will easily be up to group class. He however will need 10f this season.

Fantastic Dubai of Mick Channon's is far better than it showed on début last term and has done very well in the winter months. He will need 7f and decent ground and connections still considering aiming for the Guineas.

At real long odds, Almuktahem and Highland Glen are very smart types of Stoute's. The latter will probably want 10f but the former is very special on what he showed me on the gallops last season. Saptapadi would be a dark horse who is held in the same regard Tartan Bearer was this time last year.

Not many at John Gosden's stand out at present whilst Willie Haggas has a nice Nayef colt. Godolphin have a potential superstar in the ranks but I won't be giving it's name until it's close to running. I have 100s and 125s for the Derby and I'm very sure he could be smart. I don't know when he'll make his début but I'll expect it to be in May sometime.

Flame,

Regarding Almuktahem - Here are the notes that I was given on him last year

"Unfurnished & weak looking to my eye. That said, what I saw of him on the gallops was impressive in that he moves much better than Marahel ever did & uses his shoulder much more."

Would this be about right? Have you seen him over the winter?

Flame,

Regarding Almuktahem - Here are the notes that I was given on him last year

"Unfurnished & weak looking to my eye. That said, what I saw of him on the gallops was impressive in that he moves much better than Marahel ever did & uses his shoulder much more."

Would this be about right? Have you seen him over the winter?

Almuktahem is unfurnished and is only steady cantering, that said he oozes class. If he isn't a group one horse I'll be amazed. He's a proper powerhouse.

2000 Guineas Entries:

Abbeyside
Albaher
Almiqdaad
Alwaary (USA)
Alyarf (USA)
Arazan (IRE)
Art Connoisseur (IRE)
Ashram (IRE)
Awinnersgame (IRE)
Bab Al Salam (USA)
Born To Be King (USA)
Bushranger (IRE)
Chief Lone Eagle (USA)
Chock A Block (IRE)
Cityscape
Close Alliance (USA)
Courageous (IRE)
Crowded House
Delegator
Drumbeat (IRE)
Duc de Savoie (USA)
Dukes Art
Elnawin
Enderby Spirit (GR)
Evasive
Fame And Glory
Fantastic Dubai (USA)
Finjaan
Gan Amhras (IRE)
Glass Harmonium (IRE)
Gluteus Maximus (IRE)
Grand Ducal (IRE)
Haashed (USA)
Himalya (IRE)
Hyades (USA)
Imperial Guest
Intense Focus (USA)
Invisible Man
Jobe (USA)
Jukebox Jury (IRE)
Kaolak (USA)
Kite Wood (IRE)
L'Impresario (USA)
La de Two (IRE)
Laurie Grove (IRE)
Liberation (IRE)
Liebermann (GER)
Lord Shanakill (USA)
Mafaaz
Malibu Bay (USA)
Mastercraftsman (IRE
Monitor Closely (IRE)
Naaqoos
Nasri
North East Corner (USA)
O'Graolaigh (USA)
Ocean's Minstrel
On Our Way
Orizaba (IRE)
Pedasus (USA)
Peligroso (FR)
Playfellow (IRE)
Prayer Boat (IRE)
Prime Spirit (IRE)
Pure Poetry (IRE)
Rayeni (IRE)
Rip Van Winkle (IRE)
Sand Tiger (IRE)
Sans Frontieres (IRE)
Sayif (IRE)
Sea The Stars (IRE)
Serva Jugum (USA)
Set Sail (IRE)
Shaweel
Skanky Biscuit
Smart Miler (USA)
Son of The Cat (USA)
Soul City (IRE)
Spring of Fame (USA)
Sri Putra
Striker Torres (IRE)
Taameer
The Cheka (IRE)
Tynedale (FR)
Wannabe King
War Native (IRE)
Westphalia (IRE)
Zafisio (IRE)

Godolphin have also bought La De Two , out of the B.Hills stable. Came 2nd to Kitewood on his only .

RVW has been very weak on Betfair lately (as well as Evasive) and with doubts about CH even running at Newmarket, it was a surprise not to see MCM odds contracting.
Also, it seems to me F. Head wants to run Naaqoos in the 2000gn, but S.Hamdam thinks otherwise.

By Racing Post Staff6.50PM 16 MAR 2009
CROWDED HOUSE breathed life into the ante-post market for the 2,000 Guineas on Monday when a move with Coral saw his odds shorten to 6-1 joint favourite (from 8-1) as Flat enthusiasts started their own engines up in the wake of last week's Cheltenham Festival.
The winner of the Racing Post Trophy was one of several market movers in a day which saw plenty of activity on Monday with Brian Meehan's great hope joining Mastercraftsmanat the head of the market for the Classic at Newmarket on May 2 as the Aidan O'Brien's Rip Van Winkle flip-flopped with his stablemate and drifted to 7-1 after the opening the day at a point shorter.

Crowded House also came in for Guineas support with Paddy Power, the firm going 7-1 (from 8). While French hope Naaqoos was clipped to 8-1 (from 10) by William Hill.

as i said earlier on in discussion i had had a little dabble on monitor closely for the guineas anyone got any word or news on how the peter chapple hyam string are coming along.

Monitor Closely is back in steady work, no more.

As far as I know, he is not being aimed at the Guineas.

Coincidence that these horses are being backed for the Guineas in the week after Cheltenham, or untrue bullshit being spun by bookies PR men to try and generate some ante-post cash now Cheltenham is over. You decide.

Monitor Closely is back in steady work, no more.

As far as I know, he is not being aimed at the Guineas.

Flame would you say he would be more of a staying sort? I think he'll get 10 furlongs no problem, would find a few too quick over the mile.

staying sort bloody hell he's out of oasis dream but i do see he has an entry for the irish derby!!! sounds like my pennies are going down the drain with the guineas.

Back