2017 Ryanair Chase

It's possible that only 1 of the top 12 in the betting actually show up here. Sizing John at 20/1 looks very tempting in that sense. I'd quite fancy Un de Sceaux though. I know Mullin's Cheltenham targets are typically confirmed late in the day, but does anyone know if this is likely the plan for him?

Potts would switch Fox Norton who has no chance against Douvan to the Ryanair in a flash if it came up his humph......Gawd knows what he has in mind having 6 entries in the race with 3 different trainers

Sizing John is probably 33/1 because he has many options and is unlikely to run.......when it looks too good to be true?........fill in the blanks,,,,,,,,,,bloody good ew if he runs though

I fancy Ar Madd for this, so i'm hoping he doesn't sparkle over 2 miles on Saturday. If he does I'm sure Moore will send him to the CC

Sizing John at this stage is in the Kinloch Brae on Thursday. I've topped up my big prices on Betfair with a slice of 20/1 NRNB.

Cue Card is Gold Cup bound

UDS is surely beatable if the ground is good.

Probably. Would not interest me.

Not one I have the most faith in either. He is though a decent price. Would also have been 2nd in the Arkle had he stood up. He and Sizing John at prices look ok to me.

Last edited:
Amazed at how underrated he was. Like, Fox Norton pissed a handicap off 146 at the start of the season and yeah he's improved a bit but if SJ hadn't had to side step the prone Vanituex at the second last in the Arkle he'd have put another couple of lengths into him by the end of the line. All of which means his TF figure of 157 was well under his true rating. Then add in likely improvement for the step up in trip (his dad's best two horses aside from SJ were or are proper 3m+ chasers) and you have a proper Grade 1 performer imo.

He took a long time to get there but that's ok considering the track is very tight....that form is rock solid and he'd find Cheltenham more to his liking and the trip the way he finished

He could be what Cue Card was to Sprinter Sacre and carve out quite a career for himself now he's given up the ghost chasing Douvan's ass.

I hope you got plenty on Euro :0) looks like he will go there now

I haven't a huge amount on but didn't need to considering the price he was on the exchanges up to the weekend but I'll be topping up nearer the meeting.

Love the Cue Card/SS analogy. Could be very apt.

Last edited:
As a novice hurdler he had "feathering " (hairy fetlocks) like a work horse.
They are trimmed since to make him neater but are a sign of strength so hopefully he should not be as likely to have leg problems.
Hope I did not speak too soon !
Never out of the money since his first run and after seeing Douvan's tail end on seven occasions (half his races before yesterday)

For a horse like him who was running over 2 miles until a few weeks ago taking the Ryanair in before a crack at the Gold Cup in 2018 is perfect.

Last edited:
Back