2017 Ryanair Chase

Yes. I'm no longer worried about him going for the Gold Cup, I just don't want a slog over too big a trip to take the edge off him.

This is a year where I tend to agree with those who criticised the creation of the Ryanair . The running scared of Douvan is in danger of making the CC a joke . Un de Sceaux should be running there and if he were in any other yard he would be .

There's that argument and then there's the alternative view that horses like Sizing John get a chance rather than seeing Douvan's backside for the 20th time. The fact that Douvan is head and shoulders above the rest is the main reason why they're all running scared rather than the existence of the Ryanair.

If owners feel they have a genuine chance in the Gold Cup/Champion Chase they'll go for it. If not it's good that there's an alternative option.

The Ryanair has always made perfect sense. Crazy to have a 2m and a 3m2f Grade 1 and nothing in between. There are plenty for which intermediate trip is perfect and they have their race. The fact that one or two will defect running scared of Douvan only serves to make the Ryanair a better race.

Me too. The CGC over an extra 2.5f will be a totally different test to this slowly run affair and I don't agree with Jessie that this proved SJ stays 3m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elliot reporting that this is now the likely target for Empire of Dirt. There's 12/1 available in a couple of spots.

It's a bit of a pisser, as I was very keen on Kylemore Lough in this, but EoD dropping back in trip on a stiff track is something I can't ignore.

All of my Sizing John bets in this a crumbled. Didn't get NRNB either. Pretty tragic, also got it in luckys and accas as well. I was not happy when it won yesterday anyway.

Got Josses Hill at 15/2. Probably be around that price come the day anyway.

Jessie knows best but as we all know Potts is a big bollix.

i have him at bigger prices for the GC so I'm safe but it's a shame the horse falls under his ownership

Easy come easy go. We took a chance at a fantastic price on a horse that was very under the radar. I do the same on the flat and sometimes it works out.

Funny, I was watching the RP Podcast weekend review a bit ago and the talk came to Cue Card and Ascot on Saturday and Nick Watts said he didn't know what was against him, hadn't even looked at the AP market. This is true of most punters imo, they get so involved day to day that they don't even try and work out future moves. It's a massive part of my betting strategy on conditions races.

Agreed, Euro.

I would say the majority of my 'study' time (and a goodly proportion of my bets) are spent trying to figure out how a horse might be campaigned, with a view to getting on early (and big) in target races. A pro who doesn't even look at an ante-post market when betting comes out, is not doing his job properly, imo.

No surprise with Watts. Had him down as a turnip due to his strong opposition to Hurricane Fly every time he ran (fecking eejit that he is).

Last edited:
Continually spot value and you have a huge head start.

you need the degree of luck be it injury or proper race planning but always nice to see something the betting sheep ignore.

Still very confident re Coney Island.

Ryanair is one I'll back on the day at this stage

Yep.

When it comes to the Festival, too many options is now a much bigger danger than injury, in terms of not getting a run, imo.

Plenty of other early-betting races to target outside the Festival though, and it's generally the other way around with those.

Scratchings announced today

Ar Mad, Bristol De Mai,Carraig Mor, Champagne Fever, Champagne West, Cue Card, Dodging Bullets,Long House Hall, More Of That, Royal Regatta, Shantou Flyer, Smashing, Valseur Lido, Vibrato Valtat

34 entries remain

Last edited:
Elliot has re-stated this as the target for Empire Of Dirt, on his Betfair Twitter thingmy earlier on tonight.

Back