2018 Gold Cuppin'

Highest rated winner of the Hennessy in recent years was Denman and when he won it the first time he ran off 161.... plus he was 12 from 13 when winning it ........must be some horse the Duke :0)

Last edited:
I well remember standing on the road watching Denman winning his p2p at Liscarroll before being called away; the winners of one winner Bobbawn was every bit as impressive.
Alas a supposedly dodgy wind op meant he never won again despite his potential.
The pace of the Hennessy is a killer at that stage of the season for a lot of horses; remember Lord Windemere not being able to see which way they went yet won a Gold Cup the following March.

It will be the Ladbroke this year too - is there any extra money in the pot as a result

I'd love to see a big handicap like the Hennessy become part of the Million race series culminating in March

I'm prepared to go a little easier on the Bradstock's, given how big a race Coneygree ran at Punchestown.

Would be great to see a horse of his calibre, running in Listowel.

People think I'm on the sauce, but I still believe Politologue can land a big handicap chase this year, if they find his right trip and conditions. I reckon the distance they try him at first time out, should help me nail down what his target might be.

I haven't ruled out the possibility that he will be stepped up to 3 miles this season, despite better judges than myself saying that makes no sense, (given his last run was over 2 miles). We'll see what happens. Obviously not directly related to The Gold Cup this, but just wanted to give him a mention. He should improve considerably as a second season chaser.

Last edited:
And the horse from Malcolm Jeffersons yard, Waiting Patiently, who beat Politlogue at Haydock could be quite special. I'd like to see a relatively small time trainer like Malcolm Jefferson do well with a talented horse like the one he has in Waiting Patiently.

He did wonders with the brilliant and grossly under-estimated Dato Star (I never miss an opportunity to mention this horse - thanks).

PS. Agreed on Waiting Patiently......though not convinced he is a Gold Cup horse myself.

Last edited:
Just looking through the anti post markets. Both Politilogue and Waiting Patiently priced up at around the 20/1 mark for The Hennessy. When are the first declarations for the race, roughly?

Last edited:
Just looking through the anti post markets. Both Politilogue and Waiting Patiently priced up at around the 20/1 mark for The Hennessy. When are the first declarations for the race, roughly?
Getting my races confused. They're 20's for the 'Bet Victor' Gold Cup, formerly the PP Gold Cup, at Chelters. Not The Hennessy.

Back