2019 Grand National

Double J

At the Start
It's An absolute age away admittedly. Anyone have some strong fancies? I've followed DO in on Noble Endevour and Un Temps Pour Tout.

I'd also be interested in Don Poli if he runs a stinker in the Irish Gold Cup. A bit left field, but I'd also fancy Alpha Des if he goes, was travelling beautifully last year before I think he fell.

I don't think UTPT has qualified yet?

Last edited:
Not an age away really when people have been talking about Cheltenham since last March 20th!!! :)

Depending on the ground, I really, really like Ms Parfois. If the ground came right for her.........

Not in the betting that I can see at the moment, but someone at the Greatrex yard told me they are aiming Theatre Territory at the race, and are very keen to get her in if poss. She's only small but will gallop all day and could be the Waley-Cohen's runner.

I think DG has a better idea of what they have to do to qualify but I was pretty sure running last Saturday qualified him, as did Noble Endeavor at Aintree a few weeks back.

Sure they have to finish in the top 3 of a chase of 3 miles or further, within the last 12 months. Could be wrong mind.

I think DG has a better idea of what they have to do to qualify but I was pretty sure running last Saturday qualified him, as did Noble Endeavor at Aintree a few weeks back.

Sure they have to finish in the top 3 of a chase of 3 miles or further, within the last 12 months. Could be wrong mind.

Talking rubbish there, I genuinely can't remember now. Its a lot harder to get in now though. So many runs etc over 3miles within a time frame.

To qualify for the national they have to have run in 3 chases and had a top 4 finish.over 3m
It doesnt state that it has to be this season.
So UTPT qualifies.

Last edited:
But there was an amendment to that last season, outsider. Neither UTPT or NE qualified last season because they didn't meet the new condition after a year off and setbacks prevented them from running in qualifying races.

I just don't know for certain if they have to be placed in a staying chase this season or simply run in one.

I've no doubt that whatever it is, both with have qualified by the time the race comes round.

I'm not sure they will target a third Ultima with UTPT even though he won't incur a penalty. I just can't imagine they'll want him to have a hard race three weeks before the big day. Comply Or Die won the Eider after the weights came out but that race is in February.

Pipe is on record as saying UTPT is pretty useless in the autumn/winter but is a real spring horse. I wouldn't be surprised if the horse has one more moderate run before the weights are published.

But there was an amendment to that last season, outsider. Neither UTPT or NE qualified last season because they didn't meet the new condition after a year off and setbacks prevented them from running in qualifying races.

I just don't know for certain if they have to be placed in a staying chase this season or simply run in one.

I've no doubt that whatever it is, both with have qualified by the time the race comes round.

I'm not sure they will target a third Ultima with UTPT even though he won't incur a penalty. I just can't imagine they'll want him to have a hard race three weeks before the big day. Comply Or Die won the Eider after the weights came out but that race is in February.

Pipe is on record as saying UTPT is pretty useless in the autumn/winter but is a real spring horse. I wouldn't be surprised if the horse has one more moderate run before the weights are published.

What's UTPT preferred ground?

If weather reports are to be believed, even this far out, Aintree will be a mud bath.

Cheltenham is also due a snow storm the week before.

I just googled national qualification DO.
That's what it said.

I googled it too, outsider, earlier in the day. I also trawled right through last year's thread to see what DG had said.

Either way, I'm pretty sure both will have qualified by the race barring mishap.

As of last year, a horse has to have run in a race over fences earlier in the same season in order to be allowed to run in the National.

Not too long to go now.

Entries close this Wednesday and the weights will be released a fortnight later.

Unfortunately for me I'll be in Spain property hunting that week so will miss all the excitement...

Shocked, surprised and disappointed to see that UTPT doesn't have an entry. Perhaps that Ultima win two years back has really bottomed him.

The RSPCA will be glad I don't own a cat...

Last edited:
Shocked, surprised and disappointed to see that UTPT doesn't have an entry. Perhaps that Ultima win two years back has really bottomed him.

Gutted for you DO, I followed you in on that one as well. Noble Endevour it is then.

Ill be finding any excuse to back Don Poli come the day, but his run last Thursday was appalling. I think hes finished.

Pity that Des.do you think he will go for his 3rd ultima now.same mark.25/1 is tempting.

I'm presuming he has an issue and won't run at the festival.

The National was the stated aim for this season with maybe a run in the Gold Cup but he wasn't entered for that either.

I suspect he's maybe heading for retirement.

Odd there's no Theatre Territory......unless they are planning to buy something the night before???

Would've needed to go up a stone in the weights before the 12th of Feb to even get in GG.

Imo the horse has been terribley campaigned thus far and could well have won events this term if the right entries to take up had been chosen.

Last edited:
Back