2022 Grand National

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
Not sure if there is already a thread for the race. If so, perhaps a mod could merge?

I already have a couple of ante-post bets struck and have gone in again

My first bet was Chatham Street Lad at 40/1. I still think this is a Grade 1 animal, being plotted up for something; I'm just not sure what.

The next one was Farclas at 35/1. Again, I rate this one very highly and was pleased with how he ran in the race earlier this year when still a 7yo.

Today I've taken Secret Reprieve at 25/1 in anticipation of a win - or at least a very good run - in the Welsh National on Monday. Last season he was only 12/1 for Aintree - as a 7yo - but just missed the cut. Currently rated 140, he'll probably need to go up at least 5lbs to get in this year so they can afford to win this and take the hike. The horse is young enough to have improved a fair bit again and if he does win on Monday his price will more than halve.

Can't see it myself, G-G.

He's had a go already and seemed not to take to it. Plus, he's come out and won already this season to take his mark up to 159 so it's hard to imagine that he's being trained for the race.

I'd love to be wrong, though. I like the horse and Frost gets a tune out of him.

Nicholls said towards the beginning of the year that Yala Enki's target is the race at Taunton at the end of January. Doubt he would turn his nose at the Welsh National if it was to present itself but it was noteworthy to have a horse target that race.

Can't see it myself, G-G.

He's had a go already and seemed not to take to it. Plus, he's come out and won already this season to take his mark up to 159 so it's hard to imagine that he's being trained for the race.

I'd love to be wrong, though. I like the horse and Frost gets a tune out of him.

The ground is key for him I think. Think he was going okay when was mullered and brought down - sorry RP watch that again, unseated my bottom, he had no chance. Not saying necessarily he would win it, but think a great chance of getting round and B would get the best effort out of him. Having had a go last year, even without finishing, they'll both be the wiser.

I've just done my first trawl of the race and have literally come back to square (or post) #1.

I already have a couple of ante-post bets struck and have gone in again.

My first bet was Chatham Street Lad at 40/1. I still think this is a Grade 1 animal, being plotted up for something; I'm just not sure what.

I've gone in again at 33/1 NRNB.

The 40s are still there without the concession but this time I've decided to play safer as it's a much bigger bet. He still holds Ryanair and Gold Cup entries, which would support my belief in the horse's level and he could still get in around 11-0 if the weights go up 5lbs.

I just hope he doesn't leave his National prospects behind at Cheltenham.

Last edited:
Have Discorama at 60s (boosted from 50s on Ladbrokes) and Enjoi Allen at 40s, think I'll leave well enough alone until closer to the day, if and when I have my next dip I reckon it will be Cloth Cap.

I think there's money for Enjoy D'Allen this evening, BoS. You've done well with the price.

Wouldn't surprise me if this, rather than the hurdle race for which I strongly fancied it last time, was the target all along.

Ciaran Murphy the trainer gave an interview recently where he waxed lyrical about the horse and confirmed that he has been targeting the GN all season with him, got a lovely weight as well.

Have Discorama at 60s (boosted from 50s on Ladbrokes) and Enjoi Allen at 40s, think I'll leave well enough alone until closer to the day, if and when I have my next dip I reckon it will be Cloth Cap.

I've loved this horse since day 1-would have my biggest ever win in last years race.Didn't stay in my opinion and surely goes to Fairyhouse this year.

Last edited:
I've loved this horse since day 1-would have my biggest ever win in last years race.Didn't stay in my opinion and surely goes to Fairyhouse this year.
I assume you are talking about Discorama? He has had a wind op since which I am hoping will see the necessary improvement! Nolan has confirmed Aintree is the target.

Ciaran Murphy the trainer gave an interview recently where he waxed lyrical about the horse and confirmed that he has been targeting the GN all season with him, got a lovely weight as well.

He strikes me as an idiot.

Last edited:
If you could trust the trainer to get him right, wouldn't Freewheelin Dylan be the right type for this. And I like mcloughlin. Guess it's never going to be properly good ground but can see him leading a long way.

Last edited:
I have no problem with horses being prepped for Aintree with runs over hurdles. It seems to happen more often in Ireland but that's maybe down to the programming.

That said, Enjoy D'allen was disappointing [to me] although I'm sure I saw him noted as an eyecatcher for that hurdles run.

As I recall, Pineau De Re prepped in the Pertemps Final. Happy to stand corrected on that.

Yes Pineau de Re ran 3rd in the Pertemps before his GN win. Running on strongly up the hill IIRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checking the betting this morning, I have to say the bookies are playing pretty fair for now.

We tend to pan them on here - deservedly most of the time - and it wouldn't be the first time someone like me would comment that 'they should be going 20/1 the field at this stage', etc.

There would always be an element of wishful thinking in that, certainly from my own perspective, but at the moment there are three on 16/1 at the head of the market and the rest are 20/1 and bigger for many of the better prospects.

The chances are they'll start shortening up the ones that come out and sart winning or running well from this weekend through to the end of March.

Been a big move for Longhouse Poet. He's well handicapped and the race would suit but what will the gronnd be? He needs dig.

Last edited:
Thinking about it. There is no way they won't water the ground to be at least Good to Soft given saftey concerns. He has to come into calculations.

Last edited:
The ground wouldn't worry me. I backed him for the Albert Bartlett back in the day when he was third in the Nathaniel Lacy on yielding behind Latest Exhibition plus Aintree won't let the ground go good these days. He doesn't need a bog by any means

The ground wouldn't worry me. I backed him for the Albert Bartlett back in the day when he was third in the Nathaniel Lacy on yielding behind Latest Exhibition plus Aintree won't let the ground go good these days. He doesn't need a bog by any means

Agree. He'll have his chance but the market hasn't missed him.

Back