2022 Grand National

The chances are Noble Yeats will go up to 160 for the win.

Up to 158 according to the Irish ratings site. That's up 17lbs on his previous Irish mark and 11lbs on his UK one, assuming he'll be off that in the UK. Sometimes the UK mark ends up a pound or two higher again.

That's the kind of margin you need to be ahead of the handicapper to win these mega races.

Any Second Now has gone up 5lbs to 164 in Ireland.

Last edited:
What I don't understand about this is that these weights are "allowances" for the covid situation. I'd presumed if they are "allowances" they only applied in cases where the jockey was carrying around his/her normal minimum riding weight so that they weren't penalised for weighing out/in heavy.

Why would they choose to carry more than they needed to?

791EB6BD-F6EC-45FE-A474-ED1859A21CA9.jpg

The BHA example - they all have to carry the allowance.

Cheers, Barjon.

But why call it an "allowance" when it's really just a global weights rise?

Why not just set and publish the weights at the higher levels?

Are they gearing the sport up for an administrative sea change involving the raising of weights?

Crazy isn’t it. They said they wanted to “ give the racing public more transparency” hence building the Covid 2lb into published racecard weight, but it’s hardly transparent to hide the safety 4lbs (I think that’s 3lb for body protector + 1lb for safety).

Cheers, Barjon.

But why call it an "allowance" when it's really just a global weights rise?

Why not just set and publish the weights at the higher levels?

Are they gearing the sport up for an administrative sea change involving the raising of weights?

I thought the 3lbs covid allowance was partly because of the abolished saunas not being available, partly a jockey general health issue also? I personally don't see how it helps to be honest though. If they should be carrying 11 10 then it should be 11 10. Okay maybe allow for the body protector but I don't see how another allowance should be available really. Does that rule apply on the flat as well? 6 lbs is a lot in either field.

There's also conflicting info as far as the saunas are concerned.

Early on in the pandemic we were told that the virus can't survive in temperatures of 45C+. Surely saunas are hotter than that? Wouldn't that make saunas among the safest places to be?

Back