25 Years

If Bolger was a trainer in England, RUK and the rest wouldn't have felt as free to wade into him the way they did. Their whole attitude was well over the top.

HS and Fudge, you're dead right, as is Garney when he says that those trying to lay a horse at long odds in the belief he won't run deserve no sympathy.

It's hard to see why Bolger got himself into the mess he did. Henry Cecil had Twice Over very prominent in the Guineas and Derby lists and he ran in neither but nobody holds it against him because he kept the public informed of his thinking and the fact that he was keeping his options open. There was a very clear statement made after the horse had won the Craven that Twice Over may very well go for the Dante rather than the Guineas but he also made it clear that he was far from convinced about the horse staying 12f and he wasn't sure to go for the Derby either. It's hardly rocket science and it isn't a no-win situation either.

I must admit not to having taken much interest in the New Approach story except that it struck me, language and cultural barriers apart, during the cringing BBC interview after the big race HH Sheik Mohammed did not seem all that gracious in defeat when publicly thanked for 'such a wonderful present' by his wife Princess Haya (now, she is gorgeous).

Perhaps Mr Bolger had a number of agendas on his mind during the should I run, should I not saga. One of which was keeping one very important owner comfortable whose cultural background would have meant that gambling interests were of no consideration whatsover.

We might also be be chewing over a different story had NA's unruliness, throughout the race, caused injury or worse.

I did have a small interest in RDLP who was 'moydered' by NA and I was musing over the possibility for there to be an objection to the winner by LD a very, very, very remote possibility!

MR2

Back