4.40 Musselburgh

I agree with Bar's point. Bet on what you enjoy, and enjoy the bet. Unless you are betting in thousands, you won't make anything like an amount that makes a difference, and even if you go up, you'll come back down. Putting hours and hours of your life in to studying will maybe swing you 1/2% if you are lucky (whether it be reducing losses, or increasing profits) - better off to get out there and enjoy yourself.

are you saying we might as well all pack the game in then as far as making money is concerned Hamm?

No, I'm saying you will not make enough money to justify the hours of study etc unless you are betting very big. What I am saying, in response to BTB's point, was bet on what you enjoy (for me the better class racing) and enjoy your betting. What with a return of 3/4%, the hours you would need to invest to make just a small profit would probably pay you less than you would earn as a cleaner. If you enjoy it, fine, or have the money and want to go for it, fine, otherwise, I just think what I said above.

No, I'm saying you will not make enough money to justify the hours of study etc unless you are betting very big. What I am saying, in response to BTB's point, was bet on what you enjoy (for me the better class racing) and enjoy your betting. What with a return of 3/4%, the hours you would need to invest to make just a small profit would probably pay you less than you would earn as a cleaner. If you enjoy it, fine, or have the money and want to go for it, fine, otherwise, I just think what I said above.

I know what you are saying - its just a hobby to me Hamm - I just like the challenge - keeps the brain active:)

its not my only interest - which is important I think.

I know what you are saying - its just a hobby to me Hamm - I just like the challenge - keeps the brain active:)

its not my only interest - which is important I think.

My post wasn't a response to yours, nor about this thread - just a reply to BTB's :)

I never look at times,don't study form as such preferring to believe my first impressions from watching the race live.I am also terrible for chasing.
On the plus side I l know what works for me,more importantly I know what doesn't work for me and believe I can read Betfair to a decent level.

not so much of a pace angle - well in this race there may only be Mozayda that will lead..this time i would possibly prefer a slow pace for the horse I'm interested in - LA ZAMORA in 4.55 Southwell

3 things of interest ...just dropped 4lb...Spencer booked who is 8/17 for Barron on AW..Barron great recent form - 5/17

at 3yo La Zamora stayed on over 6f..once at Ponty suggesting that now should be able to get 7f..but has only run and won at 5f..this race may be run too suit a speed horse who can do them for toe off a not too fast pace anyway but can't see why shouldn't get 7f anyway.

8.6 ish on betfair..worth a go i reckon

Last edited:
Its rare I look at racing like this on my day off, I much happier having a chunky golf bet but had I read this today I would have had a few quid ew.

A 'pace war' in the 3.40 Ripon tomorrow might set the race up nicely for Off Chance, a decent course record and from a stable in decent enough form. The 4/1 has already gone with Bet365, no surprise perhaps, but I expect this to start a short priced favourite tomorrow, 3/1 still available seems fair enough.

Bet365 have priced up already? Wow! Nice one SteveT - Will have a few snide e/w quid in the morning.

Good points Steve - will be interesting to see how they ride Bencoolen in this as he's another possible hold-up horse, he was placed behind a couple of useful horses at Ascot last year off 2lbs higher when "held up" and has since been "slowly into stride, always in rear" in the Cambridgeshire (no chance at all in that) and "reared start, soon with leaders" over 10f at Ripon. Only worry is that Nicholls hasn't booked a proper jockey for the horse.

The runner-up in Off Chance's last race (beat OC 1 1/4 lengths giving her 8lbs) was First City who ran Seta relatively close at Leicester yesterday.

Back