6 Day Postal Strike Starts Thursday

• Thread starter Thread starter Kathy
  • Start date Start date
It's an age old managment trick Mike designed to surpress aspiration by encouraging the worker to under value themselves. I fail to understand why people accept it, instead of turning round and saying no and then being prepared to do something about it.

Unless born with a silver spoon in your mouth life can be hard and I've never had any problem with people banding together collectively to try and achieve gains for their lot. Why shouldn't they? In fact I think there's something morally right about doing so. Make no mistake, if capital could get away with it, we'd still have appalling workplace terms and conditions as common place in this country. Abuses still go on of course, some of them result in fatality like the disgraceful Simon Jones case or Morecombe Bay. A lot of it goes unreported though and is thankfully concentrated now to certain industries, who routinely and wantonly flout the law in the name of capitalist greed. Hoisery and knitwear is one that most readily comes to mind, as indeed is agriculture

The simple fact remains however, that it is largely through the fruits of collective labour organising and challenging work place abuses that a lot of the protective legislation that we take for granted today has been introduced. Freeloaders who aren't prepared to make sacrifices themselves or put their own head above the parapet, have been around for as long as organised labour first started to make an impact. As I alluded to, these people are quite happy to accept the gains made by decades of trade union struggle, and the labours and toils of others, yet are the first to slag them off. Next time Purr tries ram raiding a picket line you might like to reflect on this.

I think there's another fundamental misunderstanding about trade unions too. They are essentially conservative by nature and hardly the rabble rousing 'Trots' of popular myth. They had their roots in craftsmans guilds of course (I think the bakers union might the oldest). These roots were primarily about maintaining the status quo, laced as they were with all sorts of restrictive practices which unless you were a card carrying member you were excluded from. Indeed, they have been accussed by many prominent left wing scholars as actually surpressing the worker precisely because of their lack of ambition to try and seize an agenda and bring about pro-active change, rather than confining themselves to narrow horizons which are typically driven as a result of a reaction to something else. Essentially unions are reactive rather than pro-active, which drew an observation from Rosa Luxemburg that "they support the worker, like a rope does a hanging man". Indeed, this current dispute is an example in point, given that it is principally about defending existing working conditions, quite how people have turned it into some kind of pay dispute I don't know shrug::

I think that it's worth mentioning as well the whole raft of pastoral activities that Unions negotiate for their members as these are often over-looked. My own union provide me with free legal access for instance 24/7 - 365 days a year (though I'm sure if I rang them at 3 o'clock in the morning on New Years day I'd soon discover that this isn't necessarily true :laughing: ). On top of that I automatically qualify for sickness pay on top of my statutory entitlement. My family get some death allowance should my employer eventually succeed killing me. The union will also pay me industrial injury compensation, loss of income compensation, and even a minimum strike pay should I ever need to take the ultimate sanction. How? well purely because like minded people have been prepared to pay dues down the years which has allowed us to build up a substantial fund, and a membership that has permitted us to negotiate concessions from service providers in recognition of our collective purchasing clout.

I might finish on a little anecdote actually concerning one of our most famous members. The late Queen Mother!!! I really can't think of a more establishment figure from the last century. Yet when it was war time and the women of the country were working in munitions factories etc She immediately saw the value of 'becoming one of them' in an attempt to galvanise unity and keep morale up etc She duly joined the T&G, and remained a member until her death, paying her fee every year and having the same voting rights as the rest of us. I note incidentally that Prince Charles has also applied to join

I don't think there is anything wrong with unions per se. Maybe they do get a bad press, but they certainly don't come out smelling of roses when you have Gilchrist and the firemen looking to earn more than teachers and striking for their cause - or is that another case of the press getting the story wrong ?

Originally posted by cricketfan@Oct 6 2007, 11:52 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with unions per se. Maybe they do get a bad press, but they certainly don't come out smelling of roses when you have Gilchrist and the firemen looking to earn more than teachers and striking for their cause - or is that another case of the press getting the story wrong ?
Don't you think they should earn more than teachers then CF?

Not sure I understand the logic to that CF, although I do understand that a lot of people have some kind of perceived public sector hierarchy in their mind and I suspect it's this that you're referring to with the notion that teachers out rank firemen etc. Unfortunately, I think you too are falling into that trap of restricted horizons which I mentioned earlier and involves fixing a position on a point below, then working towards that as the poitnt of reference etc. It's a slightly different take on the notion of the "think yourself lucky" thing that I mentioned earlier, which involves highlighted the lowest people on the ladder. This one is equally restrictive though as it involves setting an artifical ceiling, probably based on some kind of inverted snobbery. Thou shall not surpass a teacher - firemen - know your limits etc

Why? - I know which job I'd prefer to do

Specifically though, Andy Gilchrist is a paid full timer, who is mandated by his membership to achieve for them the full fruits of their labour etc There's nothing wrong with that, as it's this that members pay their dues for. Occasionally you get a high profile trade union leader who takes this role very seriously and it's the group who were dubbed by New Labour as the "awkward squad" which I think confuses people. His first loyalty is therefore to his membership on not the government, the public, or their local authority employers. He is employed by the membership, for the membership, his members however, will have wider responsibility.

Gilchrist can't force his membership out on strike. In many respects a lot of union activity is much more democratic than the instruments of government, given that at branch and regional executive level an annual vote is normally taken (a far cry of the governmental cycle). Similarly, people can't be appointed like they can in government. Again, any industrial action also requires a majority vote, where as referenda on government policy and direction is pretty well unheard of. Unlike government though, (whose decisions and mandates we have to accept) non-striking members are frequently encouraged not to observe the democratic process if they have a decision go against them. (If only I could refuse to pay income tax because I don't agree with the way the government spends it).

Trade unions frequently struggle to get their message across largely because of a hostile media, but they aren't necessarily well disposed to using modern spin techniques either. There's been some really quite disturbing incidents of supposidly politically neutral instruments of the establishment taking sides in the past.

Trade unions frequently struggle to get their message across largely because of a hostile media

You think it's the media's fault? I think denying the innocent general public of essential services tends to close ears pretty quickly.

Ideally you try and take the public with you, but it's inevitable in any disruption that people will get caught in the cross fire. Edward Heath let us not forget called a "who runs Britain" election. Not you said the public, so it's not as if its impossible to communicate grievance, and for the sympathy to fall with the workers, it's just very difficult to achieve it. Some examples however, are just blatant propaganda.

It strikes me as being somewhat ironic that in a week that saw a BBC controller resign over the selective editing of an old woman allegedly storming out of a photo shoot in a huff, that the same corporation were equally guilty of a much more more cyncial example of sequential editing regarding the Orgreave dispute, yet no one batted an eyelid. :ph34r:

In this case they clearly showed the miners charging the (so called police) first. It subsequently comes to light that the (so called police) charged first, and the miners were defending themselves from the onslaught. The BBC also dubbed impact sounds from punches and missiles even though they were filming 100 yds away and couldn't have picked it up. And how many miners were ever charged with an offence at Orgreave? None...... Despite dozens of arrests and all sorts of trumped up stories of union driven violence being pedalled by the media.

It's not the public getting caught in the crossfire - it's them being held hostage. Look at the recent Tube strike, for example.

In so much as there is far more people that are 1) Qualified to be a fireman or a postie than a teacher and 2) Apply to be a fireman or a postie than do a teacher, I believe that teachers should be paid more.

If you think an idealistic communist state where everyone is paid the same per hour that they work actually works, then have a look at everywhere that has tried it.

It simply doesn't work. Fact.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Oct 6 2007, 07:26 PM
It's not the public getting caught in the crossfire - it's them being held hostage. Look at the recent Tube strike, for example.
It's a quandry Gareth. The simple fact is that successive governments never have, and never will listen to peaceful protests and the likes of. My God, they even over rule independent pay review bodies despite agreeing to honour their findings, if they end up recommending something they don't like. You can generate as many petitions, hold as many marches, and debate in the name of reason as much as you like etc The government just takes no notice what so ever.

It is only when you back that up with disruptive action or civil disturbance that starts to impact on the economy and social fabric of society that they start to react. The examples of it in different contexts are endless, and run right through history

Remember the people's march for jobs? It spawned nothing, as it was essentially a rally and focus for dissent, but peaceful in nature.
Remember the Toxteth riots? multi million regeneration programmes and the creation of the Merseyside Development Corporation, not mention sheds loads of European objective 1 money suddenly being funnelled into the city.

To precipitate a reaction more times than not you need to be able to carry a demonstrable threat and disrupt. I've very rarely encountered anyone whose enjoyed doing so, but government instransigence very often leaves no other redress

Originally posted by cricketfan@Oct 6 2007, 08:05 PM
If you think an idealistic communist state where everyone is paid the same per hour that they work actually works, then have a look at everywhere that has tried it.

Perhaps you'd be so good as to tell me where you think it's been tried? As with many Soviet myths alot of misinformation gets put around. I certainly don't recognise the pay structures you allude to shrug::

My favourite myth is the one about "equality" :laughing: The number of people who've said to me over the years words to effect of "It's an idealistic concept but you can never have perfect equality so it can't work" etc

I've asked them to point me in the direction of any Marxist/ Leninist literature that expressly advocates this. I've certainly never read it. The emphasis is much more on having a safety net and narrower bands, and rewarding people based on their productive capacity within their limitations.

"from each according to their ability, to each according to their need" - KM 1875

Originally posted by Warbler+Oct 6 2007, 11:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Warbler @ Oct 6 2007, 11:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-cricketfan@Oct 6 2007, 08:05 PM

Perhaps you'd be so good as to tell me where you think it's been tried? As with many Soviet myths alot of misinformation gets put around. I certainly don't recognise the pay structures you allude to shrug::

My favourite myth is the one about "equality" :laughing: The number of people who've said to me over the years words to effect of "It's an idealistic concept but you can never have perfect equality so it can't work" etc

I've asked them to point me in the direction of any Marxist/ Leninist literature that expressly advocates this. I've certainly never read it. The emphasis is much more on having a safety net and narrower bands, and rewarding people based on their productive capacity within their limitations.

"from each according to their ability, to each according to their need" - KM 1875 [/b][/quote]
Oh please, Warbs...... as has been said on many occasions, don't let yours facts get in the way of my otherwise good argument. :)

I was trying to illustrate the supply and demand element & the academic requirements for each position. At the end of the day you could recall the army from Iraq and put them in jobs as firemen and have the thing run at a fraction of the current cost - and with far less risk to the participants of being shot I'm sure they'd bite yer arm off.

Ask the teachers here whether they think they are worth more ££ than a postie or a fireman and they'll tell you exactly why they know they are.

I don't doubt for one second that teachers would (they are one of the most self-regarding professions on the planet).

What is an interesting exercise though is to deconstruct people's jobs to a level of what I'll call 'contribution' and then see how things stack up? Most people probably like to think they support public services, as most are associated with 'good' social outputs and contribute towards a cohesive society. Yet in capitalist societies we don't reward these people, and tend to reward perceived finite skills. You can even make the same argument regarding the means of production, as the costs associated with these are largely artifical, and boil down to labour, if a society was able to organise thus (which of course it would never be allowed to now) but that's a whole different branch of philosophy.

If you take it to its extreme example, you could easily demonstrate that the contribution made by a fireman, teacher or nurse easily eclipses that made by a footballer, (or dare I say it - 'celebrity'). Yet this latter bracket will earn more in a day, then the public servant does in a year. It's perverse.

Teachers educate, firemen save lifes - footballers do what?

Let me try another angle?

Who would I miss most if a profession was eradicated, dentists or footballers? Which of these two groups is really, the most important to me?. Now most footballers couldn't become dentists very easily, and although my dentist might be able to kick a ball, I'm not sure she could ever play football to any level. Yet in terms of alleviating what would otherwise be unchecked pain, and ensuring I have a set a teeth, if I had to place a personal value on which was the most important to me, and thus which one I would choose to reward above the other, then the dentist wins hands down. As for that matter would a whole host of lesser paid people

As we have argued about many times Paul is a teacher and Ii work in the private sector. I have more experience in my job and yet Paul earns £14k more than me a year, with 13 weeks paid holiday. I am required to sign out of the working time directive and 65 hour weeks are not uncommon (indeed when I opened the current shop I manage I worked 100 hours a week with no days off for a month - although that was voluntary to make sure all was well)

And yet he still reckons his job is harder than mine. I think teachers deserve to be paid well but not as well as the emergency services. I think I am right saying in his first 5 years as a teacher Paul got 10 pay rises automatically, I have to achieve a certain level of performance at my yearly review or I don't get one at all.

Those are good reasons why you should join a union, Mike.

You say you are required to sign out of the working time directive.....that says it all about your employers, IMO.

Originally posted by ovverbruv@Oct 7 2007, 10:12 AM
As we have argued about many times Paul is a teacher and Ii work in the private sector. I have more experience in my job and yet Paul earns £14k more than me a year, with 13 weeks paid holiday. I am required to sign out of the working time directive and 65 hour weeks are not uncommon (indeed when I opened the current shop I manage I worked 100 hours a week with no days off for a month - although that was voluntary to make sure all was well)

And yet he still reckons his job is harder than mine. I think teachers deserve to be paid well but not as well as the emergency services. I think I am right saying in his first 5 years as a teacher Paul got 10 pay rises automatically, I have to achieve a certain level of performance at my yearly review or I don't get one at all.
Mate, that's awful. I've worked 100 odd hours in a week before, but never just for the sheer hell of it. And being made to sign out of legislation designed to protect employees.... lest said the better. Surprised they haven't asked you to climb up a chimney yet.

Originally posted by Warbler@Oct 5 2007, 05:20 PM
I take it you had the good grace not to accept the additional pay increase that UNISON won above the first offer Purr? Similarly, I take it you've agreed to accept the new (and more disadvantageous) pension arrangements

No; didn't think you would some how
Honestly? Well it's in my pay packet so not something I have control over. But it wouldn't have bothered me if the first offer had been accepted, in all honesty. And I'm not overly concerned about the pension thing, mainly because I'm considering coming out of the pension plan.

So no, not bothered actually.

Originally posted by ovverbruv@Oct 7 2007, 08:12 AM
And yet he still reckons his job is harder than mine. I think teachers deserve to be paid well but not as well as the emergency services.
Most people if you ask them wouldn´t do the job in the first place.

Some would give it a go and wouldn´t last the length of a placement.

I don´t care how much good the emergency services do, teachers deserve every penny they earn, and then some.

I want to know how the median wage for this country managed to get to £23k? I can only imagine that public sector workers must be pulling it up, because my fag packet calculations bring it in at around £19 - £20k.

My view on teachers salaries is that they should be much higher, not so much on the basis of the quality of people doing the job now, but to ensure it is an attractive option for high quality people to take up the profession.

I have yet to hear a convincing arguement regarding the existence of an objective, incentivised quality performance basis for pay. In its absence I reckon it is best to engender competition at the entry level in the expectation it will improve quality in the long term.

Originally posted by purr+Oct 9 2007, 07:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (purr @ Oct 9 2007, 07:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Warbler@Oct 5 2007, 05:20 PM
I take it you had the good grace not to accept the additional pay increase that UNISON won above the first offer Purr? Similarly, I take it you've agreed to accept the new (and more disadvantageous) pension arrangements

No; didn't think you would some how
Honestly? Well it's in my pay packet so not something I have control over. But it wouldn't have bothered me if the first offer had been accepted, in all honesty. And I'm not overly concerned about the pension thing, mainly because I'm considering coming out of the pension plan.

So no, not bothered actually. [/b][/quote]
I think you'd have possibly come across with more credibility if you'd conceeded that you were happy to freeload of others and say "so what"; I'm selfish, don't mind taking the gains, but won't risk anything myself etc To suggest you "have no control over it" is frankly disingenious at best and a selective falsehood at worst. You could easily contact payroll and ask for the relevant deduction be made from your salary and sent to a charity of your choice, if you were so reviled by the fact that your peski unionised colleagues had won you pay rise. Some how though, I suspect you didn't do that? Freeloaders never do funnily enough :laughing: Yet they'll moan and moan about union activity, yet still take the gains which they aren't prepared to put their own neck out for. Your response, is frankly an insult to my intelligence, and I'm sure people are more than capable of arriving at their own conclusions as regards how upset and offended you must be to have had a pay rise foisted upon you, given your apparent helplessness to prevent it. Do us all a favour for Gods sake!!!!

If you want to opt out the pension scheme and feel the infinately worse one is better, feel free. Your judgement, your choice, but at a time when private sector pensions are collapsing, it seems an injudious decision (imho)

Back