Aidan O'Brien/Ballydoyle

I am aware who went off favourite, but as I said at the time of the pre-parade and in the parade ring she would have been Oaks favourite or at the very least challenging for favouritism.

I'm afraid not. The first show was passed around 35-40 minutes before post-time and Sariska very quickly overtook Rainbow View as favourite. By the time they were in the paddock Sariska will have been clear favourite.

I'm afraid not. The first show was passed around 35-40 minutes before post-time and Sariska very quickly overtook Rainbow View as favourite. By the time they were in the paddock Sariska will have been clear favourite.

The race was due off at 4.05...at 3.49 Rainbow View was favourite on Betfair.

Betfair?? I'm talking about the shows!

Besides, the point is that Gosden wasn't depriving the world of seeing the Oaks favourite as the Oaks favourite was Sariska!

From the RP:

Speaking on At The Races on Wednesday, O’Brien said: “I apologised afterwards and it was my fault. None of our jockeys had a ride in the race before and we were given permission to tack up.

“We went out and I wasn’t watching my watch as I should have been, but that’s nothing to do with trying to gain an advantage. All we can do is our best and stay in the rules.

“We were walking out with some Epsom officials and there was no rush or panic. It was one of those things and all I can say is I'm sorry.”

O'Brien was fined £840 - £140 for each horse - for his misdemeanour.

Of his runners, Fame And Glory fared best in second, with Masterofthehorse in third. Rip Van Winkle was a staying-on fourth and Golden Sword held on for fifth place.

O’Brien, who was aiming for his third win in the Epsom Classic, added: “It’s obviously disappointing when you don’t win, but all the horses ran well.

“I think everyone has their own opinions, and there were lots after the race, but the reality is we won’t know what would or should have happened if the circumstances were different.

“All the horses from Epsom and France [Prix du Jockey-Club runners] are in the mix for the Irish Derby, the Eclispe and the new French Derby at Longchamp [Grand Prix de Paris].”

From todays RP – The Dikler’s Column

“The BHA’s harsh words towards yesterdays hero Aidan O’Brien following the pre-Derby paddock scandal have come back to haunt racing’s rulers. After Epsom racegoers were left frustrated by the Ballydoyle maestro’s failure to bring his six Derby runners into the parade ring until after the bell sounded for jockeys to mount, the BHA through its stewards, fined him £840 and voiced unhappiness at his “disappointing” rule break.
But strangely there has so far been silence from the BHA over the £140 fine handed out to Jeremy Noseda following the late arrival of his subsequent Royal Hunt Cup winner Forgotten Voice.
The Dikler wonders if BHA chairman Paul Roy, who owns Forgotten Voice, found time amid the celebrations to reprimand Noseda for his misdemeanour.
The Dikler also questions whether John Gosden is in need of a new timepiece. The trainer was punished after Rainbow View was late into the paddock for the Oaks. However, the lesson was not learned as Gosden was fined £820 on Wednesday when Cadre and Wajaha both turned up late”

“The BHA’s harsh words towards yesterdays hero Aidan O’Brien following the pre-Derby paddock scandal have come back to haunt racing’s rulers. After Epsom racegoers were left frustrated by the Ballydoyle maestro’s failure to bring his six Derby runners into the parade ring until after the bell sounded for jockeys to mount, the BHA through its stewards, fined him £840 and voiced unhappiness at his “disappointing” rule break.
But strangely there has so far been silence from the BHA over the £140 fine handed out to Jeremy Noseda following the late arrival of his subsequent Royal Hunt Cup winner Forgotten Voice.
The Dikler wonders if BHA chairman Paul Roy, who owns Forgotten Voice, found time amid the celebrations to reprimand Noseda for his misdemeanour.
The Dikler also questions whether John Gosden is in need of a new timepiece. The trainer was punished after Rainbow View was late into the paddock for the Oaks. However, the lesson was not learned as Gosden was fined £820 on Wednesday when Cadre and Wajaha both turned up late”

Fair points. Gosden should be given a warning as if they are going to withdraw horses a la the Hunt Cup for not going into the stalls, then the same should happen to those not in the Parade ring on time.

Paul Roy is an absolute idiot (see his interview on BBC before the Hunt Cup), and as long as you have a sycophant like him at the top of the BHA, British racing has no chance.

Presumably the head of the BHA was too busy getting some last minute cash on his thrice-raced handicap plot to notice.

He basically said that the BBC were doing a great job covering racing and that racing needed to work with the BBC and other media bodies as we have a great product and need to maximise coverage Gal.

The only part of that I 100% agree with is the great product and working with the media part.

He was basically sucking up to BBC, praising their coverage, I presume as they were in front of him & also so they will not reduce their televised racedays per year.

It's frankly embarassing - here we have an awful televised production of the best 5 flat racing days worldwide, which consists of inadequate presenters, a dumbed down approach to the sport (I include Balding at the head of his - Cricket, for example, is a much more complicated sport, but that makes no attempt to dumb down its coverage), no insightful analysis, a commentator who is senile, has poor sight and one who we are all only too aware of when he has had a a bet, approximately 30%+ of the programme devoted to fashion, led by a fairy whose snide comments are a disgrace. I could go on.

And, what does the head of the BHA do? Tell them their doing a fantastic job, with amazing coverage. He is not the man for the job.

He was basically sucking up to BBC, praising their coverage, I presume as they were in front of him & also so they will not reduce their televised racedays per year.

It's frankly embarassing - here we have an awful televised production of the best 5 flat racing days worldwide, which consists of inadequate presenters, a dumbed down approach to the sport (I include Balding at the head of his - Cricket, for example, is a much more complicated sport, but that makes no attempt to dumb down its coverage), no insightful analysis, a commentator who is senile, has poor sight and one who we are all only too aware of when he has had a a bet, approximately 30%+ of the programme devoted to fashion, led by a fairy whose snide comments are a disgrace. I could go on.

And, what does the head of the BHA do? Tell them their doing a fantastic job, with amazing coverage. He is not the man for the job.

I thought Paul Roy's comments about BBC coverage were aimed primarily at the Derby progamme. For all we hate it, we are perfectly aware that the ghastly fashion show is at least as much a part of Royal Ascot as the racing so we're stuck with it. Anyway, how exactly is it the head of the BHA's job to tell the BBC what to do? I think you're being very harsh tbh.

It's his product, and while its not for him to direct the BBC, the fact the interview was ended and he called Clare back only to eulogise about the coverage BBC give to racing made it a lot worse. A key part of his remit should be working with the media to ensure the coverage given to racing is in racing's best interests. I worry if he thinks the coverage BBC give racing is adequate, let alone the plaudits he rained upon them. For all that Channel 4 have their faults, they at least approach their coverage of racing for racing enthusiasts, and make it appealing to the masses without sacrificing the tone of the production.

I accept there will always be the fashion element at Royal Ascot but i think much too much coverage is being given to his area, and not nearly enough to insightful race previews, paddock watching etc.

I don't see why BBC can't offer a red button facility for Ascot. Have the normal dross on but on the red button just have constant racing analysis with some reasonably clued up people.

Best of both worlds and surely wouldn't cost too much more.

It's his product, and while its not for him to direct the BBC, the fact the interview was ended and he called Clare back only to eulogise about the coverage BBC give to racing made it a lot worse. A key part of his remit should be working with the media to ensure the coverage given to racing is in racing's best interests. I worry if he thinks the coverage BBC give racing is adequate, let alone the plaudits he rained upon them. For all that Channel 4 have their faults, they at least approach their coverage of racing for racing enthusiasts, and make it appealing to the masses without sacrificing the tone of the production.

I accept there will always be the fashion element at Royal Ascot but i think much too much coverage is being given to his area, and not nearly enough to insightful race previews, paddock watching etc.

Here's what he said at the BHA annual review:

In my meetings with the BBC, I’ve already added my voice to The Racing Post’s campaign to persuade them to change their mind about reduced Racing coverage, and I applaud the many MPs who signed the Early Day Motion. It cannot be right that, despite the soaring popularity of Racing over the jumps, Racing will be cleared from BBC TV screens from October to April. It just doesn’t make any sense and furthermore with its unique licence fee funding the BBC surely has a duty to present a sport that covers a wider spectrum of the population than any other.

We need TV to capture the overall excitement and attraction of a Raceday. We want it to focus on the heroes of the sport, communicate the intensity, enliven viewers and create a momentum that will get them off their sofas to come and see the sport for themselves.

We need a broader audience - one that’s fascinated and intrigued by the spectacle and the dynamics of Racing, as well as the odds. Like football, we need an audience that - consistently over a season - loves the game, not just the result.

Rory, surely you can then see the hyprocrisy with stating that and then praising the BBC coverage?

I would agree that the fashion element is now disproportionate in coverage in relation to the actual racing and it's time the BBC got a grip here and cut back on it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the fashion aspect of RA because it is a uniquie part of the glamour of the occasion that is Royal Ascot and I love Sherwood's contribution because he is rarely wrong and he at least tells it like it is and tries to eliminate the horrendous tendency for WAG type outfits to be halfway acceptable - they're not!

As to Roy's comments, in part he was right to take advantage of the opportunity but if he thinks their coverage is adequate for RA, then he's sadly out of touch with the people he's meant to be representing, I fear.

Rory, surely you can then see the hyprocrisy with stating that and then praising the BBC coverage?
I've neither watched enough of Royal Ascot with the sound on, nor actually heard Roy's speech, so no. My impression was that he praised the BBC's coverage of the Derby meeting for it's inclusiveness, although I'm basing that on a conversation I had with a friend who was praising Roy's approach. His first job is ensuring that the BBC continue to show racing, so telling them they're rubbish is hardly likely to help achieve that goal. In business, you need to use kind words to achieve your goals at times, even if those aren't entirely appropriate; lambasting someone who can damage your business isn't that clever. If that's hypocrisy, then it's an entirely necessary form of it.

Fair enough - I'll respectably disagree :)

I don't understand the need for BBC in racing; I would much rather Channel 4 take over the days BBC currently has, and I think some harder bargaining is necessary - Royal Ascot, the Derby and the National are all massive sporting events, and the BHA should put it to BBC that if they want to keep these, they do so by agreeing to show x number of racedays; lobbying and all the rest of it demeans racing, and is not the way i'd go about it.

Fair enough - I'll respectably disagree :)

I don't understand the need for BBC in racing; I would much rather Channel 4 take over the days BBC currently has, and I think some harder bargaining is necessary - Royal Ascot, the Derby and the National are all massive sporting events, and the BHA should put it to BBC that if they want to keep these, they do so by agreeing to show x number of racedays; lobbying and all the rest of it demeans racing, and is not the way i'd go about it.
Don't get me wrong Hamm; I think BBC racing is dire and I don't want to save it in its current form. This isn't about my opinion on the BBC, but merely my opinion on what Paul Roy has done as BHA chairman.

I think the original topic had run its course; an interesting point (I feel) worth posting about.

The Dikler wonders if BHA chairman Paul Roy, who owns Forgotten Voice, found time amid the celebrations to reprimand Noseda for his misdemeanour."

How fitting that they "forgot to voice" that little bit.

Back