Aintree- Sat the supporting card

Ardross

Senior Jockey
I see AP now rides Rare Bob - suggests he might well be fancied in the 3.25 .

Elsewhere I like Zaynar as Henderson is having such a good Aintree for once .

Will back Dom D'Orgeval again. He's definitely gone with more spark the last twice for Nick Williams and it could be that this has been his main target.

No bet but the favourite should win the opener - a lot more straightforward than Menorah.

Wasn't going to back anything in the National but ended up going with Hello Bud and Beat The Boys taking VC's faller concession.

Dee Ee Williams and Gus Macrae in a tricky handicap and Tale Of Tanganyika in the last.

Like Hamm, I'm against the first 3 in the race, Zaynar on account of price. 13/8 makes a lot of assumptions about him being correct. The race looks an afterthought for Khyber Kim and Celestial Halo. The first named is a doubtful stayer whilst the latter looked over the top in this last year and doesn't come into the race in the same form as 12 months ago either. I'll throw a few pennies at Quwetwo at doublefigures. Okay he was getting weight from Zaynar, but it's very possible that he hasn't got the credit he deserved for that run. Being kept for this meeting will also be an advantage and I think there is a chance the race is there for the takjing with a high 150's effort in the belief the first 3 in the betting may not be at their peak.

Nice performance from Peddler's Cross in the first. Would love to see him go novice chasing next year - looks made for the Arkle.

I've backed Archie Boy in the next. Probably doesn't have the class to win a Grade 1 but this looks a fairly weak renewal and a sharp 2m on good ground will suit him to a tee. Would have to be worried about Osana getting done for toe here.

He certainly looks good when he gets his own way in front.

Osana likely to be stepped up in trip next year maybe?

on ratings.

i would imagine Tataniano & mad max will be higher after aintree - not talking about anything else but who will be highest rated at season end.

Ryanair horse maybe

Slightly surprised he didn't for the 2m4f novice this week. Suppose the 2m race looked - and subsequently proved (outside the top two) - a pretty weak renewal.

Tough to compare today's race with the Arkle; Osana the obvious link, though Cheltenham almost certainly suits him considerably better than Aintree over 2m.

on ratings.

i would imagine Tataniano & mad max will be higher after aintree - not talking about anything else but who will be highest rated at season end.

The course and ground were totally against Somersby on Thursday. Sizing Europe easily the best Novice chaser we've seen this season.

Back