Aintree Thursday

Given previous comments in respect of running at Cheltenham on good ground anyone else find it a little strange that they actually ran Me Voici?

Some X-rated jumping there from Nacarat. Imperial Commander's sequence continues. Nice performance from What A Friend but he probably hasn't had to improve to win.

IC is a horse for Chelts, i wouldn't really want him anywhere else. Nacarat was awesome as well as disastorous, if he hadn't hit a few i think he'd of won that.

i thought (no bet on either) the way the respective jockeys rode their horses into the last made a difference - Bachelor looked like an amateur, all over the place.

i think Moncadou and Joacci have a chance in the next. not huge stakes though.

Even ruby realises he got away with that.....big smile on his face. God What A Friend does think about it. Stopped after the second last and Ruby was just holding onto him for after the last.

It would have been nice to have seen a head to head battle between Carruthers and What A Friend. Possibly a different result? I think there was enough evidence here to suggest trying another jockey on Carruthers. He isn't the biggest and Batchelor went long too many times before making a complete mess of the last. The horse deserves better.

I thought McCoy was pretty poor on Nacarat - did not help him get into a good flow over his fences at all. He was asking him for huge jumps at unimportant stages of the race, he made mistakes and then when he did need to be asked for big jumps his confidence was gone.

I agree about the jockey on Carruthers as well - What A Friend is not a Gold Cup horse I wouldnt think. Loads of ability but couldnt trust him.

So much for the umm .... 'penalty kick'. Glad he didn't come down, never like seeing a horse fall.

I think there's more to come from Pigeon Island off 137 if he's in similar form as at Cheltenham. Price more than fair.

I also think Pepsyrock will run better than recently, and his mark becoming more realistic.

The decision to run IC was bizarre.
Bizarre is much too strong a word - NTD rightly believes that the horses are better running than standing around in their boxes. He was roundly condemned for running Khyber Kim in the International given that horse's apparent need to be fresh but it paid off handsomely there. He couldn't give a monkeys about the kudos of unbeaten records and just loves to run them. There was a big chance that IC would blow out today but there was also a fair chance that he would pick up a big cheque for winning. It's a no brainer for me.

The worst thing about betting on racing is your fate is in the hands of small men who sometimes seem keen to show they have even smaller brains - what the jockeys were thinking there I'll never know. The best horse won but that was farcical from the rest.

Bizarre is much too strong a word - NTD rightly believes that the horses are better running than standing around in their boxes. He was roundly condemned for running Khyber Kim in the International given that horse's apparent need to be fresh but it paid off handsomely there. He couldn't give a monkeys about the kudos of unbeaten records and just loves to run them. There was a big chance that IC would blow out today but there was also a fair chance that he would pick up a big cheque for winning. It's a no brainer for me.

That is a fair point Rory - once the horse came home safe and sound I suppose he had little enough to lose.

Yes, the way he jumped the last, low, was great. I know I'll be shot down but I maintain (as I did after the Arkle) he would have beaten SE without that mistake, but fully appreciate the horse who jumps best deserves to win. Lovely horse and delighted he's starting to fulfill his potential.

Thenightingale looked good last time out but he looked good in weak events in bumpers/hurdles but came up short when push came to shove then. Plenty to prove imo.

Spot on - a horse to avoid in top races I think, regardless of how he demolishes easier fields.

Just before the race someone on RUK mentioned that The Nightingale's best runs were right-handed. Cue him jumping right at every opportunity...

Yes, very worrying for Henrietta Knight as Somersby appears to be her only promising young horse. His jumping was ponderous at Cheltenham and was even worse today. He also looks too slow at 2m and a possible non-stayer at 2m4f. Difficult times ahead.

It would have been nice to have seen a head to head battle between Carruthers and What A Friend. Possibly a different result? I think there was enough evidence here to suggest trying another jockey on Carruthers. He isn't the biggest and Batchelor went long too many times before making a complete mess of the last. The horse deserves better.

He simply can't see a stride for love nor money, can he? Very bad ride there, especially considering he should have known as well as everyone else to let What A Friend go on and let him dog it.

Battie's well used to the horse and you're saying that the trainer hasn't the nous to use someone else? I don't think Mattie did anything wrong. If he'd let WAF go on and the horse had won easily, you'd all be saying what a plonker he was, anyway. He's not the sort of rider who interferes with horses if they've hit their rhythm - CARRUTHERS can pretty much sort himself out and doesn't seem to need someone to indicate his take-off line to him.

Back