Albany Stakes

What distance have they been working over Flame?

Aegean was able to run through JA at Churchill Downs and was going further away at the end. Doubtless JA would have set a blsietering pace which Aegean was able to take a lead from and use her stamina. I've read a report that Aegean beat her in a public gallop on turf in the states (narrowly) when Wes Ward was working out who he would be bringing over. Aegean wouldn't be the first horse whose shown a preference for the racecourse ahead of the gallops. The question is have they been working at full racing speed over 6F's? Otherwise surely they've been working on JA's terms. So far as I can gather Ward normally lets them have a burst at full speed over 3F's and it's probably not too surprising that Aegean hasn't necessarily lived with JA (on Wednesday nothing did)

Acclimatising would be my only worry. I'm not even bothered about the draw. Strike The Tiger and Scenic Blast both came from a high berth. If the horse is good enough, it should be able to defy any bias.

I didn't back Yogaroo incidentally. The same crudes methods I'd used to find Strike The Tiger and convince myself that Jealous Again couldn't be beaten, also led me to the conclusion that Yogaroo could and was by far and a way the most vulnerable of the American 2yo's

Last edited:
Aegean was also able to beat JA in the River Downs gallops prior to leaving the US :)

Would say that JA beating Aegean over here is more down to acclimatising rather than being a better horse.

What distance have they been working over Flame?

Aegean was able to run through JA at Churchill Downs and was going further away at the end. Doubtless JA would have set a blsietering pace which Aegean was able to take a lead from and use her stamina. I've read a report that Aegean beat her in a public gallop on turf in the states (narrowly) when Wes Ward was working out who he would be bringing over. Aegean wouldn't be the first horse whose shown a preference for the racecourse ahead of the gallops. The question is have they been working at full racing speed over 6F's? Otherwise surely they've been working on JA's terms. So far as I can gather Ward normally lets them have a burst at full speed over 3F's and it's probably not too surprising that Aegean hasn't necessarily lived with JA (on Wednesday nothing did)

Acclimatising would be my only worry. I'm not even bothered about the draw. Strike The Tiger and Scenic Blast both came from a high berth. If the horse is good enough, it should be able to defy any bias.

I didn't back Yogaroo incidentally. The same crudes methods I'd used to find Strike The Tiger and convince myself that Jealous Again couldn't be beaten, also led me to the conclusion that Yogaroo could and was by far and a way the most vulnerable of the American 2yo's

Most impressive gallop was 5f on the rowley mile, others have been 4f

I think 14/1 for the Godolphin filly is worth a little bet. Other than that, I think the O'Brien filly may win though I'll again state my reservations about Heffernan on board.

Fascinating tactics from the other jockeys; no chance of an easy lead for Aegean.

I thought Lillie Langtry ran a damn good race so the winner is probably very good.

Gareth - the home trainers saw that the only way to beat the US horses is a speed duel, seldom see a front runner duel and win in the US and it'll be the same here.

Hopefully Ward will come back for some more next year :)

I think JV was happy enough to take a lead, we heard before hand on the BBC the trainer say he was ok to take a lead, just not good enough today.

I do think the strip of ground by the stands rail could be the fastest; I would have expected a favourite drawn 6 to be running there, not in the centre of the course. I didn't back her, but think Lily Langtree may well reverse the form later in the season.

Some nice fillies in the race inc. the placed 3. Also thought Above Limits who finished 6th - she looked as though she could have done with some company. Can see a few nice winners coming out of this race.

Some nice fillies in the race inc. the placed 3. Also thought Above Limits who finished 6th - she looked as though she could have done with some company. Can see a few nice winners coming out of this race.

Agree completely and feel she wasn't suited racing out wide. I've been really impressed at home by Jira and she is not far off the Queen Mary 2nd Misheer at home. She was 7th or 8th and ran well.

The winner has been working with a good 3yo in Zaffaan so clearly is classy, whilst Cecil's was being talked as a Guineas filly prior to her debut and also ran with credit, this was a good race.

Plenty of winners will come out of this race.

I just hope some of you took on board what I tried telling you all about the American filly.

I'll take the Fahey horse (4th) out of the race who stayed on very nicely in the closing stages.

I do think the strip of ground by the stands rail could be the fastest; I would have expected a favourite drawn 6 to be running there, not in the centre of the course. I didn't back her, but think Lily Langtree may well reverse the form later in the season.

I thought they were going a stride too fast for her the whole way and will appreciate 7 furlongs next time out. Imagine she would be their Debutante and Moyglare filly.

Good stuff Flame - couldn't bring myself to back something at 5/2 that this time last week I thought I'd get at least 8's about.

I thought they were going a stride too fast for her the whole way and will appreciate 7 furlongs next time out. Imagine she would be their Debutante and Moyglare filly.

Jockey has said similar about the extra furlong according to Johnny Murtagh.

Honor In Peace is nice enough (the one who runs tommorow) - i took 40's the Coventry so here's hoping he doesn't take after his stablemates in terms of early dash, from what I've been told by those in the US he's a different type to them but you never know.

Grand Times should be the one for the July Stakes Flame - he's a nice enough horse and a recent winner in Florida (the fillies and Yogaroo are Kentucky winners).

Didn't think the colt you're referring to travelled over but will
Aegean let it get to her a bit at the start which surprises me given she ran at Churchill on Oaks night - there'll have been more cameras, press, stablestaff there than at Ascot today.

Back