Alverton On E-bay

Well the poor horse did die horribly in the National that year breaking his neck at Bechers second time round so it is possible . :(

So now you know - if you have a horse of some note, the knacker man might hack off a few trophy parts for 'collectors'. You imagine your horse is going to the crematorium, not to have his tail cut off first and now be offered for half a grand.

Have e-mailed my ex-bf whose aunt owned Alverton to get him to check it out. It is pretty gross though.

Going by the rest of the crap that this person is selling, I could assume that this 'tail ' is crap as well. It looks more like one of Beyonce extensions.

Troodles: I know! :lol: What is it - 'previously owned'? :brows: I think BEEF OR SALMON should bid for it now - it'll match his rat-tail nicely, and give him something to swish in his opponents' faces!

Pee, it's no different in essence to the fashion for stuffing dead animals, cutting off favourite horses' hooves and making them into bijou boxes, elephants' feet as side tables, antlers for hat racks, and snakeskin for boots. Africans still use fly whisks made out of animal tails, so it really depends on your cultural background. But if you don't like to see sporting animals like ALVERTON, or parts of them, as against domestic ones (leather coats and DFS sofas made from cowhide, for example) made up into items, you won't like it. It has an individual, emotional sting for some that the great herd won't have. Sorry 'bout that, great herd!

Brian - hardly! Horseshoes don't actually have to be cut off a freshly-dead body, do they? They don't have a nervous and blood supply, they're inanimate - you can hang up a set of LORD NOELIE's shoes any time, but I'm not sure you'd have all his hooves made into cute little conversation pieces, or his head cut off to stare baronially across your hallway. On the other hand, who knows...

But surely tails are different to heads? After all, dogs get their tails docked all the time.

Which is a disgusting mutilation, in my very humble opinion, along with ear-cropping, de-barking and the de-clawing of cats. (Stands back for tail-cropping enthusiasts to lecture on how the tails can get caught when the animals are hunting, swimming, fighting, etc.) And the tails are cut off living puppies, for God's sake, not dead horses!

Pee, it's no biggie on the world scale, and as I said, it's mostly a cultural thing - the Victorians were really into all kinds of memento mori, the hair from the dead being woven into belts, made up into mourning brooches and mourning rings, etc. Even pictures were made up from tiny snips of dead babies' locks. Personally, I've only got photos of my now-dead horses - I'm not sure I'd want to moon over one of their skulls, Yorick-style, no matter how well I knew it!

:( What? That's IT? Are YOU agreeing with me? Are you agreeing with ME? Come out and fight, man! We can't possibly have accord breaking out on this forum! :teeth:

They have the skin of Eclipse at that museum in Newmarket.

I'm with PDJ on this in that this isn't actually a big deal. I'd be more worried about the authenticity of the product.

Alverton didn't have to suffer at all for this, rather he suffered because of the racing itself. I'm not after a fight or anything because I can't be arsed any more than anybody else here, but an alien would be within rights to call here boo-hoo-ers hypocrites in a truly definitive face value kind of way.

I'm a bit surprised at you, Kotki-Inca: as a vegetarian and an animal rights supporter (and I mean that in a non-confrontational way, though you are supporting their use for entertainment by joining as a member of a racing forum), I'd have thought that ANY use of ANY animal parts was anathema to your philosophy.

I find it in poor taste because at the time it was a pretty contraversial death since he was the Gold Cup winner. Also I think it is most unlikely to be is tail.

Some of the more macabre exhibits at the National Horse Racing Museum include, Eclipse's skeleton; Persimmon's head; and the gun that Fred Archer used to kill himself.

Years ago I saw Manifesto's head in the Grand National Exhibition in Liverpool.

I have never been to York, but apparently there are bits (I don't know which bits) of Highflyer there.

I find historical exhibits in museums interesting rather than tasteless, but I cannot imagine wanting to them in my home... :unsure:

Back