An uneasy compromise - Ruby , Nicholls and Mullins

Ardross

Senior Jockey
I know this has worked OK in recent years - but surely PN will throw a wobbly if Ruby chooses Mullins horses in the Championship events ?- Hurricane Fly and Cooldine ...

I know this has worked OK in recent years - but surely PN will throw a wobbly if Ruby chooses Mullins horses in the Championship events ?- Hurricane Fly and Cooldine ...

It worked last year so I don't see why not,if one or the other trainer has something obvious in a Championship race Ruby will be on it.

He wont get off a Hurricane Fly /Kauto Star unless there's a better one available.

Mullins said that the Hurricane was Paul Townend's ride - Ruby rode him (and arguably made a mess of it) at Punchestown as Townend was injured/suspended.

Unless Mullins runs Quevega (doubtful) or Townend is injured then Ruby will be on Celestial Halo IMO.

Not a major problem with Ruby and the two yards - it might be an issue for the top novice chases particularly this year.

He has such a selection of horses by far the best.The two main trainers with the best horses at there disposal.

It is indeed an uneasy compromise which could come to a head some day but has been avoided so far largely because the strengths of the two stables have been in different areas. Mullins had a huge season last year with his bumper and novice horses, Nicholls has an extaordinary hand in the chasing department. If the young Mullins horses start to deliver in the senior ranks there will plenty of difficult choices to come for Ruby and the situation could become untenable.

The fact that both trainers have tried to make the arrangement work says all anyone needs to know about who is the best jockey available.

hope townend starts getting more big rides sure he'd be getting good experience and he'd be cheaper to use:)

I would like to think Mullins will give Townend plenty of opportunities considering he knows that Ruby will not be able to ride on the big day come March.

Surely given the choice, Walsh would ride Hurricane Fly though?

I would not be giving the ride to Paul Townend if I owned the horse anyway. Which I don't.

Surely given the choice, Walsh would ride Hurricane Fly though?

I would not be giving the ride to Paul Townend if I owned the horse anyway. Which I don't.

Why because of his 2/2 record on the horse in Grade 1's.If Ruby thinks he will win the big one he will ride him at the festival.

If I were Mullins I would use Townend as first jockey.

Ruby will have to ride better than last year to mantein his previlige position , I see a situation similar to Sloumillon when he was riding for the Aga and Fabre.

I'm not saying Townend isn't a quality jockey at all, merely that I would rather Ruby Walsh rode the horse if I had a choice between the two.

I'm not saying Townend isn't a quality jockey at all, merely that I would rather Ruby Walsh rode the horse if I had a choice between the two.

I genuinely would not find much of a difference, and based on last season I would give Townend the edge over Walsh. I think he is that good.

Hard to argue, though Walsh's big-race experience would just win the argument for me. Not that Townend has made any significant errors in big races.

Very promising bunch of young jockeys in Ireland at the minute, both over jumps (O'Farrell and McNiff very promising as well) and the Flat (Danny Mullins being the most talented young jockey - either code - I've seen in a long time).

I think its a very good point about Rubys experience. He just rides big race winner after big race winner. You would never put another jockey given the choice.

I think its a very good point about Rubys experience. He just rides big race winner after big race winner. You would never put another jockey given the choice.

Which is why he is in such demand and as Grey says the big issue could well come when the two stables have contenders in the championship races rather than novice events .

That has happened everytime in recent years. What Ruby will ride is one of the biggest talking points in the lead up and causes fluctuations in horses prices. Neither Nicholls or Mullins seem too bothered but Cousin Vinny last year and to a certain extent Thomas on Denman shows neither trainer is afraid to go to war with other riders in their stables.

I disagree - there has never been a real clash in one of the big Championship races rather than the novice events . PN's attitude to Thomas's unravelling last autumn makes it clear that he is far from sanguine about anyone but Ruby riding his best horses in the very biggest races

I disagree - there has never been a real clash in one of the big Championship races rather than the novice events . PN's attitude to Thomas's unravelling last autumn makes it clear that he is far from sanguine about anyone but Ruby riding his best horses in the very biggest races

Ruby is not going to get off Kauto or Master Minded - not sure what the other major decision would be outside of novice ranks apart from the Hurricane Fly/Celestial Wave one.

If anything his position is clearer now than ever and it will take Paul Townend a couple of seasons to muscle in on the gig.

Back