An uneasy compromise - Ruby , Nicholls and Mullins

Given that bar disaster Ruby will not ride Cooldine in the Gold Cup, should the ride not be Townend's from the start?

I honestly think most owners would keep Walsh on til they had to change (last run before target race),Townend destined to be as good in time.

Ruby is fiercely hungry to win the Champion Hurdle - it's the only championship race he hasn't won. IMO, come March he'll be on whatever he thinks has the best chance from the Mullins/Nicholls battalions, and that may well turn out to be Hurricane Fly.

He will be on Celestial Halo assuming it runs.
This according to the man himself at the Cheltenham Literature Festival night with Paul Nicholls. He was quite adamant about this likewise Kauto Star over Denman or Cooldine.

He will be on Celestial Halo assuming it runs.
This according to the man himself at the Cheltenham Literature Festival night with Paul Nicholls. He was quite adamant about this likewise Kauto Star over Denman or Cooldine.

That suggests Walsh has not had a choice regarding Hurricane Fly and that HF is indeed Paul Townends ride (remember PT was down to ride Hurricane Fly at Leopardstown in the spring before he was scratched injured) as Walsh has always left his final decision as late as possible.

That suggests Walsh has not had a choice regarding Hurricane Fly and that HF is indeed Paul Townends ride (remember PT was down to ride Hurricane Fly at Leopardstown in the spring before he was scratched injured) as Walsh has always left his final decision as late as possible.

Unless he knows that Mullins is more amenable than Nicholls.

"Celestial Halo for sure" probably had a lot to do with the fact Ruby was sitting next to PFN at the time. :cool:

If and when Hurricane Fly trots up in his prep races, and goes Even money favourite for the Champion Hurdle, I would imagine Ruby will make the necessary phone call to Mullins.

Townend is a genuine talent, but he has his entire career ahead of him, and I suspect that he wouldn't be overly vocal about Walsh pinching the ride from under him in the spring. In such circumstances, he would surely look to play the long game - the one that sees him ultimately replace Walsh as stable-jock to the biggest Jumps operation in Ireland. Unlikely he would sacrifice that, in a fit of pique over the Hurricane Fly ride.

Why was Townend down to ride him in the Grade 1 when Ruby was available?

Don't know, Gal.

Perhaps Townend was promised the ride in all races up to the Festival?

Not sure it's entirely relevant anyway, in a scenario where Hurricane Fly wins his preps, and heads to Cheltenham fit, well and with an excellent form chance.

What about the scenario where Celestial Halo merely disappoints, rather than gets injured? What if he is Nicholls rep in the race, but he is a badly out of sorts 33/1 chance? Indeed, what if Celestial Halo does improve further, but appears held by Hurricane Fly on form?

In both scenarios, I firmly believe that Ruby would be doing everything in his power to get on the Mullins horse. I certainly can't see him choosing Celestial Halo in 'sufference', just because of something he said at a Literary Festival 7 months before the race.

The ride is Townsend's until Ruby wants it back, I reckon.

Townend rode the horse twice before Christmas and was due to ride him in his next assignment at Leopardstown which was due to be his final run before Cheltenham. It does not make sense that Walsh would sit on the sidelines when available - having not had a chance to sit on the horse all season. He clearly did not have a choice on that occasion and it is not Mullins style to do that (give Townend all the Irish rides).

Knowing Walsh he would have wanted to have ridden HF for sure at Leopardstown and would have "wanted the ride back" on that occasion - but he clearly did not have a choice.

Ah....I see. :lol:

Well, Irish Stamp also seems fairly convinced that Townend will retain the ride, so perhaps you are right.

Any chance that Mullins sees Townend as someone who might replace Walsh sooner rather than later? If you are right, and Walsh doesn't have the choice, might this drive Ruby towards a more full-time arrangement with Nicholls?

Mullins loves Walsh, he really does - I was amazed that Townend was free to ride HF instead of Walsh at Leopardstown. I would imagine the HF case might be an exception - we do not know how much of an influence the owners of HF have - maybe it is their choice.

Mullins aims at a bumper Festival

By Chris McGrath

Wednesday, 4 March 2009

While much pride is invested in Patrick (Mullins), there is another rider in the yard being groomed as Ruby Walsh's heir. Paul Townend is only 18, and did not have his first ride over jumps until last May (2008), but Mullins is so sure of his talent he had no qualms about giving him the mount of Hurricane Fly when Walsh ruptured his spleen in November.
"I didn't get him jumping until we had ironed out his bad, pony racing habits," Mullins said. "Paul is mature and confident. He was brought up in the game, knows the ups and downs. I'd say he'd be top of the next generation."

Back