Angus Loughran

Guest_

At the Start
By Pat Hurst, PA

TV'S STATTO DECLARED BANKRUPT

Angus Loughran has been declared bankrupt, the Insolvency Service confirmed today.

Loughran, BBC's betting expert, who regularly reports on market moves before racing, is also known to millions of sport fans as "Statto".

Unable to pay his creditors, Loughran was declared insolvent at a hearing at Manchester County Court on February 4.

Details of how much he owes, and to whom, were not disclosed and it is not known whether he declared himself bankrupt or if it followed a petition from someone he owes money to.

He first became famous predicting football results on the 90s show Fantasy Football League, alongside Frank Skinner and David Baddiel.

Loughran also commentates on football matches on Eurosport and has a betting column in the Daily Telegraph.

The announcement of the bankruptcy was also made in the London Gazette, giving Loughran's former address, in Bowdon, Cheshire, and his occupation as sports consultant.

Loughran himself was not available for comment today and a spokeswoman for his agent, Jane Morgan Management, said no one was available for comment.

Loughran is understood to have said the bankruptcy order involves council tax arrears.

Bankruptcy is a legal means of freeing a person from overwhelming debts so they can make a fresh start and to make sure their assets are shared out fairly among people owed money.

A firm or person who is owed money can file a petition for a bankruptcy order to be made against the debtor if at least £750 is owed in unsecured debts.

The official receiver will then take over the legal control of the debtor's assets to pay the creditors.

As a bankrupt, Loughran will not now be able to obtain credit for more than £500 without disclosing his bankruptcy, open a new bank account, act as a company director or take part in the management of any registered company without the permission of a judge.

The bankruptcy order on Loughran automatically runs out on February 4 next year.

You would never wish that on anyone.

Not that the BBC cover much these days, but it would probably be wise for him to stay away from TV coverage for a little while. I can imagine one or two getting stuck into him on live TV after they've had a few.

Not really the best advertisement for someone fronting a BBC racing programme giving advice to the masses on betting, is it?

Originally posted by Songsheet@Feb 13 2008, 04:14 PM
Not really the best advertisement for someone fronting a BBC racing programme giving advice to the masses on betting, is it?
My thoughts exactly ..

Originally posted by an capall@Feb 13 2008, 05:04 PM
Disagree. When you fall off yer bike you need to climb straight back up.
Damned bad luck that, falling off your bike the same day as you're made bankrupt. Mind you I don't suppose he could afford a taxi to the court!

Originally posted by kevk+Feb 13 2008, 04:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kevk @ Feb 13 2008, 04:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Songsheet@Feb 13 2008, 04:14 PM
My thoughts exactly .. [/b][/quote]
Depends. He may have lost it all Spread Betting on obscure continental footie.

Originally posted by Galileo@Feb 13 2008, 04:03 PM
Angus Loughran has been declared bankrupt, the Insolvency Service confirmed today.......

.......Loughran, BBC's betting expert
Two rather contradictory statements there, surely?!

A bankrupt betting expert - an oxymoron shurely?

Originally posted by Galileo@Feb 13 2008, 03:03 PM
Loughran is understood to have said the bankruptcy order involves council tax arrears.

Well non-payment carries a prison sentance, so I'm inclined to think its nothing of the sort. I can't believe his arrears are so high on council tax bills alone that he's had to resort to this. Sounds like a very poorly laid smokescreen. Does he have no assets, no friends who could lend him a grand. You shouldn't go bankrupt on the back of non payment, and council's normally take nominal part payments before prosecuting.

I've had cause to read his Telegraph column over the years, and after about 6 months I started to form the opinion that with the possible exception of Mark Winstanley (who incidentally is asking us whether he's "lost the plot" in the Weekender today) the man is a jonah of the highest order. In fact he was what the Americans call (and their corproations pay good money for) a 'negative predictor'. I did joke to someone a few months ago that I'm amazed that the man isn't broke by now if he's backing his own tips, now I know the answer.

Incidentally, the answer to the Winstanley question is no.

Technically speaking, in order to lose something, one must have possession of it in the first place, so winstanley can't have the lost the plot

It certainly won't be just because he's missed a few council tax payments.

No doubt more details will be leaked out soon, the redtops will already be on the case.

Was it not the case that he claimed he was being continually harassed for council tax arrears that he said weren't due (not uncommon) and that he ended up ignoring them and while he was on holiday the council took the action? That sounds more feasible than him being unable to raise a grand.

In which case they'd have taken him to court if he entered it into a dispute. They might have done however, and he lost? He certainly wouldn't have filed for bankcruptcy on the back of a debt he believed he didn't owe.

I had a similar thing with Leicester City Council, and said I'd see them in court, in fact I was looking forward to it, as I knew I had a cast iron case, and they in actual fact owed me, so I was quite grateful to them for giving me the chance to get my money off them, rather than it being other way round. Suffice to say they pulled out at the 11th hour, and finally paid me up. I certainly never considered filing for bankruptcy on the back of some imbecilic clown who can't process a claim properly.

Can someone post a photo up of Angus, as I am sure he was sat at the next table to me at Kempton this evening. :rolleyes: Perhaps, it wasn't him.

Thanks, Warbler! :)

I am 99.99% certain it was him. He seemed in very good humour. He was at the next table. Infact if it was him he appeared in an incredibly good mood.

Bumped into him at Cheltenham in November and he looked a bit down then and was a bit scruffy.

I had met him years ago through a close friend who knows him and I must say in November he did look a fallen man.

Kathy,

If he looked in good spirits, I'd be amazed if it was Angus; he hasn't smiled since about 1989. I also saw him at the November meeting while waiting for a cab at Cheltenham Spa Station. I was in the company of two ex-colleagues of his who called across to him, but despite the good humour of his well wishers, he looked utterly miserable. He cuts a rather lonely, forlorn looking figure these days.

Originally posted by Warbler@Feb 13 2008, 10:58 PM
In which case they'd have taken him to court if he entered it into a dispute. They might have done however, and he lost? He certainly wouldn't have filed for bankcruptcy on the back of a debt he believed he didn't owe.

I had a similar thing with Leicester City Council, and said I'd see them in court, in fact I was looking forward to it, as I knew I had a cast iron case, and they in actual fact owed me, so I was quite grateful to them for giving me the chance to get my money off them, rather than it being other way round. Suffice to say they pulled out at the 11th hour, and finally paid me up. I certainly never considered filing for bankruptcy on the back of some imbecilic clown who can't process a claim properly.
I thought it was the council who had him declared bankrupt. I take it I've read it wrong although I can't understand how he was declared bankrupt if he wasn't even there.

It sounds to me as if he's lost a case with the council regarding his arrears. Something doesn't ring true anyway, as you'd be hard pressed to run up a council tax arrears to this level (it must involve years and years and years of non-payment) that wouldn't be capable of being put right with only a half decent asset base behind you (one can only assume he doesn't have one).

My understanding is the council can file for bankruptcy proceedings, but he has to agree to it. I doubt he'd do that if he genuinely believed he didn't owe them anything and the fault was there's

Can someone phone him and ask him if he was at Kempton last night? :) Perhaps, I need a quick trip to Specsavers but it really, really looked like him? :brows:

Originally posted by chrisbeekracing@Feb 14 2008, 06:05 AM
Bumped into him at Cheltenham in November and he looked a bit down then and was a bit scruffy.
He's never been a paragon of sartorial elegance, though.

Back