Angus Loughran

basically he's no different from any other presenter then as Venusian points out?...except he looks a bit gormless to some folk so a few people think he shouldn't be doing the job...and then use the bankruptcy as an excuse to pan the bloke

some of the stuff on this thread says more about people's perception of a person rather than any of the circumstances surrounding the guy..Clive as usual waits for an excuse to pan someone he "hates"...seems to hate everyone..do you even like yourself Clive?

I watched him on Setanta last night (11.15 Chelt preview).

He looked a bit pale and slimmer - must have been through hell recently, poor bloke.

Good to see him back on our screens so soon. I hope he manages to rebuild his life for his and most importantly his family's sake.

Originally posted by Colin Phillips@Mar 10 2008, 06:06 PM
IMO, he's a bluffer, as are lots of the people who profess to be be presenters and pundits on our racing coverage.
Indeed Colin, Claire Balding was presenting on Ceebeebies yesterday but I doubt she's an expert on childrens literature.

I was channel hopping through Gib's digital service btw.

From the Daily Mail:

There will be considerable surprise within sport that bookmaking firm Sporting Index sent highly-popular betting pundit Angus Loughran into bankruptcy.

Manchester County Court papers reveal the bankruptcy petition was served by Sporting Index in December 2007 over the relatively meagre sum of £5,700 — the size of a commonplace bet at the Cheltenham Festival next week.

'The Debtor entered into various contracts in the form of spread bets with the Creditor,' said court papers, which detail that Sporting Index had issued a Statutory Demand against Loughran in May 2007 and since then had been paid back only £100.

However, over the years, BBC racing expert and Eurosport commentator Loughran has done numerous promotional favours for Sporting Index, with whom he has had a very close relationship. There will be a feeling of unease at the tactics used to reclaim a paltry debt from a wellknown sports personality and friend of the firm.

Loughran said: 'I hope to have everything resolved within the next fortnight, with the bankruptcy annulled. Then business can resume as normal, including working for the BBC at the Grand National.'

Sporting Index chief executive Richard Glynn said: 'I cannot confirm or deny the financial details of any of our clients, but we do treat everybody in a gentlemanly fashion and give them every opportunity to settle with us.'

Wotcha' doin' in Gibraltar, Martin?

Have you accepted Uncle Victor's shilling?

I assume the weather there is slightly better than the *****-awful stuff we are getting at the moment.

Just noticed this on the RP site:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Loughran unsure of return date

by Graham Green

BETTING expert Angus Loughran was on Monday unsure whether he will have reclaimed his place among the BBC's racing team on Saturday, when Ascot and Haydock share a double-header.

Loughran, known as ‘Statto' to his fans, has been absent from the screen since early February when declared insolvent over a £5,700 debt to spread-betting firm Sporting Index. He is still waiting for the legal process to officially end his bankruptcy.

Loughran said: “I don't really know what I am doing yet, but my application to have the bankruptcy annulled is in the court. As soon as thathappens I will be back and working.

“I haven't been given a date, and they don't give you much notice but, if it happens on Wednesday, I will be working on Saturday.”

Back