Angus Loughran

Costs for the council filing for bankruptcy (including the stat demand and so on) could easily exceed the value of the claim and are non recoverable

There is no chance that this is the route they would have taken or that this is the full extent of his problems

Bloody hell Clive!!!!

And despite having crossed the odd sword with you,...... erm..... Do you really think an LA would pursue Loughran thus? :eek:

Which having re-read of course, is precisely what you're not suggesting :D Clearly there's more to it than this

Anyone who thinks that Angus Loughran was ever a genuine shrewdie rathen than just a wannabe high roller is sadly mistaken. It doesn't take a genius to know why he's bankrupt and I'm sure Council Tax arrears are the least of his worries.

It was on the [generally well-informed] racing pages of the Daily Mail yesterday that they said his problems were due to "unpaid council tax and mobile telephone bills" - well we all know what most racing people do with their mobiles!

Of course - this is the same "shrewdie" and "betting expert" who gets over-excited about "big gambles" on horses that are backed from 20/1 to 18/1, for the love of God.....

Has Angus Loughran lost his job with the BBC?

If he has then it is a classic case of strange moral standards by the Beeb.

Sack a man for being a fool with money but employ a man, who has a record of beating up women and attempting to sell a video of himself having sex with Ulrika Johnson, as a football summariser.

He's been told to sort his mess out as I understand it Colin. Essnetially he has a meeting coming up with the official receiver and if he straightens the situation out he'll be back on the BBC team for Aintree.

I do kind of understand why neither the BBC or Loughran himself would think it were a good idea for him to be in front of the camera with a horde of alcohol fuelled punters standing behind him!

Sack a man for being a fool with money but employ a man, who has a record of beating up women and attempting to sell a video of himself having sex with Ulrika Johnson, as a football summariser.

Easily answered. Just like with the disgraceful sacking of Angus Deayton, Stans misjudgements are nothing to do with the summarising. Nothing at all....

And was Stan convicted in any way?

loughran's situation directly impacts his credibility as a betting guru. In fact, i can see no way back for him.

You may as well employ that ipswich strangler as a sex therapist

Maruco, does the BBC think that there will be no alcoholic-fuelled hordes at Aintree?

Or that punters' memory spans are so short that they will have forgotten all about the bankruptcy proceedings by the beginning of April?

Clive, does Stan have to be convicted for the BBC to avoid him?

I am not suggesting he should be sacked but as a publicly funded company surely the BBC could be a little bit more aware of the way that the public perceive someone with the dubious history of Collymore....................and besides, he's a feckin' awful summariser!!!!

Not at all Colin, I expext to be amongst the hordes. :)

No the point is this was fresh news when the BBC last covered racing and the time period between then and April gives things time to cool off a bit. I'm sure he'll get a bit of stick when he's back, but hopefully he'll be better prepared for it mentally.

He shouldnt be back. Its not as if hes a talented presenter anyway

The idea of a bankrupt giving out betting advice and pretending to be a market guru is laughable.

You couldnt make it up

Originally posted by clivex@Feb 27 2008, 10:05 AM
He shouldnt be back. Its not as if hes a talented presenter anyway

The idea of a bankrupt giving out betting advice and pretending to be a market guru is laughable.

You couldnt make it up
Clive not forgetting BIG MAC as a similar background....one of the only bookmakers to have gone under......... :brows:

loughran's situation directly impacts his credibility as a betting guru. In fact, i can see no way back for him

without knowing the personal financial details of every racing presenter/guru...how is this fair?

maybe all of them lose money hand over fist on betting

just because one of them is bankrupt doesn't mean all them might not be just one step away

we have no way of knowing

to be a guru/presenter do they have to prove they make money from gambling and can manage their own money affairs?

i would love to be at an interview if this is the case :)

does he actually recommend punters to back certain horses with a guarantee of a profit?

if he does..surely it's a tv racing first

I gather you dislike the guy Clive :D

Guess who's back on TV

SETANTA has secured Ruby Walsh as a guest pundit on the Cheltenham Festival, according to The Independent.

The champion jockey will feature along with Eamon Dunphy and well-known pundit Angus 'Statto' Loughran on Cheltenham Today, a series of four one-hour nightly specials celebrating the Festival, which will be broadcast on Setanta Ireland next week.

'Statto' hoping to resume work soon

by Graham Green

ANGUS LOUGHRAN, who plans to be at Cheltenham this week, was forced into bankruptcy by spread-betting firm Sporting Index.

BBC racing's betting expert, who has made numerous promotional appearances for Sporting Index, was declared insolvent last month over a debt that Manchester County Court papers reveal originally amounted to £5,700.

Loughran, 42, known to millions of sports fans as 'Statto', was subsequently dropped from their coverage of Ascot and Haydock on February 17, the last time BBC showed live racing, but he is confident of being back on screen at next month's Grand National meeting.

Bookmakers resort to bankruptcy proceedings as a last resort, and it must be presumed every effort was made to contact Loughran, and work out a repayment plan, before legal action was taken.
Loughran, speaking on Sunday at Bristol Rovers' FA Cup tie with West Brom, said: "I'm working with administrators to get myself into a position whereby things can be sorted out so that I can get myself up and running as soon as possible.

“There are a lot of procedures involved, but I'm still very hopeful of having it resolved in time to work for the BBC at Aintree.

"I'm looking forward to Cheltenham, and what's happened has been a blow, but I'm a strong enough character to want to bounce back and I intend to."

Interesting......after initially claiming it was council tax arrears that bankrupted him, it's now come out that it was indeed Sporting Index.

Surely the BBC wouldn't be interested in employing an oxymoron in the guise of a bankrupt 'betting expert'? Not so soon after the event, at any rate - I realise other betting pundits have been insolvent in the past.

I can't imagine why any media outlet employing a tipster doesn't insist on seeing a year's evidence that they are in profit - and doesn't check on it regularly. It drives me mad sometimes thinking what these people are paid for the crap they churn out!

Whilst realising that particular idea would be pretty much unworkable practically, there is merit in the school of thought. You wouldn't employ a jockey who kept falling off, or a chef who burnt food, or a bus driver who kept crashing, would you?!

It's possible to be able to analyse a betting market without needing to be a good tipster. If Loughran's BBC duties were restricted to that, then I don't see the problem.

Well, apart from the fact that he's not particularly good at analysing a betting market...

Back