Arlington Million - Saturday Aug 21st

Powerscourt

At the Start
Arlington Million Day on Saturday being held two weeks later in August than in prior years.

For the first time in many years there will be no Aidan O'Brien runners this year ..still plenty of Irish/UK interest

Gio Ponti will go for back to back sucess in the Million and will be a short priced fav ..would love to see Wigmore Hall win the Secretariat but think Paddy O'Prado will win that one.

Rainbow View in the Beverly D.

Some facebook pics including the Euros

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=192787&id=153901649200

Arlington Million

Post time: Saturday at 6:14 p.m. EDT at Arlington Park in Arlington Heights, Ill. Purse: $1 million. Distance: 1 ¼ miles on turf. Weight: 126 pounds. Television: HRTV.

Pp horse jockey/trainer odds

1. Marsh Side Nakatani/Drysdale 12-1
2. Debussy Buick/Gosden 12-1
3. General Quarters Graham/McCarthy 8-1
4. Just As Well Leparoux/Sheppard 5-1
5. Quite a Handful Riggs/Hansen 30-1
6. Gio Ponti Dominguez/Clement 7-5
7. Rahystrada Karlsson/Hughes 10-1
8. Tajaaweed M. Baze/Peitz 15-1
9. Tazeez Hills/Gosden 6-1
10. Summit Surge Fallon/Cumani 10-1

Arlington Park - August 21, 2010

Race 9 - 4:24 PM

STAKES Beverly D. S. (Grade I)

Purse $750,000. For Fillies And Mares, Three-Years-Old And Older. One And Three Sixteenth Miles. (Turf)

PP Horse Virtual
Stable A/S Med Jockey Wgt Trainer

1 Pachattack (KY) 4/F L1* K Fallon 123 G A Butler
2 Hot Cha Cha (KY) 4/F L J Graham 123 P A Sims
3 Acoma (KY) 5/M L* J L Castanon 123 D M Carroll
4 Gypsy's Warning (SAF) 5/M L W T Buick 123 H G Motion
5 Rainbow View (KY) 4/F L J R Leparoux 123 J E Sheppard
6 Eclair de Lune (GER) 4/F L J Alvarado 123 R L McAnally
7 Biased (GB) 4/F G Benoist 123 M Delzangles
8 Romacaca (FL) 4/F L* M C Baze 123 N Canani
9 Treat Gently (GB) 5/M L* K J Desormeaux 123 W I Mott
10 Ave (GB) 4/F L R A Dominguez 123 R L Attfield

Arlington Park - August 21, 2010

Race 8 - 3:37 PM

STAKES Secretariat S. (Grade I)

Purse $400,000. For Three-Year-Olds. One And One Fourth Miles. (Turf)

PP Horse Virtual
Stable A/S Med Jockey Wgt Trainer

1 Paddy O'Prado (KY) 3/C L K J Desormeaux 126 D L Romans
2 Mister Marti Gras (KY) 3/G L E E Perez 123 C M Block
3 Cherokee Lord (KY) 3/G L J E Felix 119 C Livesay
4 Wigmore Hall (IRE) 3/G L1* J P Spencer 123 M L Bell
5 Dean's Kitten (KY) 3/C L J R Leparoux 123 M J Maker
6 Two Notch Road (VA) 3/G L M C Baze 119 G R Thompson
7 Workin for Hops (KY) 3/G L F C Torres 123 M Stidham

Thanks for putting up the cards, but I'm not sure how to read them?

I presume Med=medication? But in that case does the omission of this information concerning the Million mean that they're not allowed run in that race on any medication? And what exactly do L, L1, L* and L1* signify?

Rainbow View injured ..out of the Beverly D. ...she may be now retired ..

Grey .. Not so sure about all the various medications etc ..but L1* is first time on Lasix ..the others are various forms of being on Lasix or back on Lasix after being off it in their last race ..

Paddy O'Prado wins in a slowly run race beating Wigmore Hall by a good length.

Slow pace did not suit either of them .

Going is good.

Last edited:
Can I ask what would be meant by not running up to form, even when winning? Is there something else a horse should do other than win? Win playing the flute, or juggling fireballs? I don't understand that remark (on JAP's link to Rowlands, for which thank you, Mr Prufrock).

Can I ask what would be meant by not running up to form, even when winning? Is there something else a horse should do other than win? Win playing the flute, or juggling fireballs? I don't understand that remark (on JAP's link to Rowlands, for which thank you, Mr Prufrock).

Experts rate the merit of a horse's form in terms of pounds and ounces, Kri, and if horse A can produce a performance rated 130 on one occasion and then struggle to win on another occasion to earn a rating of 110, then he officially hasn't run to form. It's often said that a horse "hasn't had to run to form" to win, which is often the case when they are given easy opportunities. Mr Prufrock and Mr Rowlands are one and the same, btw.

Delighted for the horse, always thought a lot of him but thought this would be beyond him, I guess the tight left-handed track suited him. Will try and dig out a replay now.

Well he did beat Midday in a classic trial,but otherwise had no form to give him an earthly in that.

I had to watch the replay a few times to be sure he was ridden to a masterplan, or whether the horse picked up unpredictably. Buick seemed to take a bit of a pull turning into the straight going from 4th to second last. Whether it was the case that he wasn't taking the bend as well as intended and it took him time to get balanced or he just wanted to a last couple of lungfuls into the horse before the final sprint for home, I'm not sure. Either way I reckon that little hesitation was the winning of the race.

Ah, clearer now, thanks, Rory! And thanks for the heads-up on Mr Rowlands. Does he wear his trousers rolled, and walk upon the beach? Or is that just Worthing-based Steve Mellish?

Last edited:
Back