Arlington Million Saturday

Turf track listed as good this morning but scattered T-storms in the forecast.

I would give the edge to Mount Nelson.

Glad to hear the ground will not be too fast. That would have me worried for Mount Nelson who I think hated the ground in the Eclipse.

Racing Post staff

PLAN will be racing for Aidan O'Brien for the final time when he contests Saturday's Secretariat Stakes at Arlington.

The Group 3 winner has been acquired by the owners of dual Classic winner Big Brown, IEAH Stables, who will move the son of Storm Cat to their controversial trainer Rick Dutrow after his Chicago appearance.

"Plan is a colt we were very excited to add to the stable," IEAH's Vice President of Investor Relations Mike Sherack told the Thoroughbred Daily News. "We'd seen video on him and he looked like a colt who will never have a problem staying a distance of ground, as he kept coming in the stretch to beat older horses in his latest.

"(IEAH Senior Advisor) Gary Stevens also went overseas to get on him for us and everything added up. He indicated to us that American racing and firmer surfaces may also help his development, and that should be a plus.

“The Secretariat won't come easy, but it does look like a nice spot for him, and we're looking forward to seeing him run."

Struggling to find a link for ESPN...Chapman is doing commentaries on the 3 big races if anyone is desperate enough!!

A European 1-2 in the Secretariat...the Weld horse wins it easily. Chapman is such a spa..that was absolutely painful.

As do I sometimes, but Jesus when it is impossible to get pictures, commentaries elsewhere being forced to listen to that was terrible.

Winchester simply hacked up off a slow early pace.

Took Plan a while to get going but no chance with the winner.

Well done Dermot Weld

Winchester is a horse that likes an ease in the going, so the ground would not appear to be too fast.

Plan will surely race in blinkers for his new connections.

From drf.com....

8th Race

Secretariat S. (G1)
Off: 3:13 | 1 1/4 Miles (Turf) | 3 Year Olds | Stakes | Purse: $400,000

#Horse Jockey Weight Win Place Show
2 Winchester Douglas R R 119 17.00 7.60 3.80
3 Plan Murtagh J P 121 5.00 2.80
6 Tizdejavu Gomez G K 126 2.20

Finish Time: 2:01.76
Also ran: Prime Realestate, Strait of Mewsina (IRE), Your Round, Snoose Goose, Secret Getaway and Sr. Henry
Winning Trainer: Weld Dermot K - Owner: Firestone Mr. and Mrs. Bertram R.
$2 Exacta (2-3) Paid $62.00
$2 Trifecta (2-3-6) Paid $148.00
$2 Superfecta (2-3-6-1) Paid $984.00
$1 Pick 3 (6-2-2) 3 Correct Paid $273.10 Pick 3 Pool $424,253
$2 Daily Double (2-2) Paid $122.00 Daily Double Pool $48,184

Last edited:
Winchester wore blinkers for the first time and was on lasix.

I think that combination made a big difference in today's race.

Just saw the replay, he did it very well and the jockey had him in the right spot the whole time. I wonder where he will go next.

Back