Arlington

icebreaker

At the Start
Great result last night for O'Brien in the $450,000 Secretariat Stakes with Highland Reel. Nice addition to the colt's CV for stud-value and a nice payday for Seamie, too. :)

Surely Gosden's "Maverick Wave" run in the Million was too bad to be true; last of 13 runners?

Highlight of the evening had to be Jamie Spencer doing a Powerstown 2004 all over again in the D Stakes -- crossing the winning Line well in front on Secret Gesture ............. and then getting demoted to third place for causing interference. Oh Jamie! :D

While I'm definitely not a Jamie fan the stewards were far too harsh. Ortiz practically took his fillies back teeth out completely unnecessarily. It was the racing equivalent of diving in the box by the latest over paid football Prima Donna.

It served him right that through his theatrics he crossed the line only third and the race was awarded elsewhere. But Spencer should never have given Ortiz the opportunity, he let Secret Gesture drift a long way across the course and would have won anyway if he'd straightened her up before taking Ortiz's ground.

It served him right that through his theatrics he crossed the line only third and the race was awarded elsewhere. But Spencer should never have given Ortiz the opportunity, he let Secret Gesture drift a long way across the course and would have won anyway if he'd straightened her up before taking Ortiz's ground.

The problem is that Ortiz was going to finish 2nd anyway (with or without the disqualification) but, with the DQ, he enables his stablemate to get awarded first place. It's a ridiculous rule; Ortiz should have been fined for not allowing his horse to obtain the best possible placing (if such a thing exists in the US)

Last edited:
Some of the things I am reading about this are infuriating me.

They go to USA because the level of grass races are lower than in Europe. Nothing wrong with that, but they knew American rules.
What Spencer did is not allowed over there and he was over smarted. Take it on the chin and move on... and try to learn from your mistakes. Show some class and don't appeal.
The mare would have been demoted in France, Japan and probably Germany too.
The problem with England based jockeys is that once they hit the front they are 99% sure they won't get DQ'd no matter what they do to the horses behind. That's not a good rule either and far more dangerous that what other countries have.

Ortiz should have been fined for not allowing his horse to obtain the best possible placing (if such a thing exists in the US)
This would've been fairer than to take away the race from the rightful winner which is unheard of in any other sport.

Some of the things I am reading about this are infuriating me.

They go to USA because the level of grass races are lower than in Europe. Nothing wrong with that, but they knew American rules.
What Spencer did is not allowed over there and he was over smarted. Take it on the chin and move on... and try to learn from your mistakes. Show some class and don't appeal.
The mare would have been demoted in France, Japan and probably Germany too.
The problem with England based jockeys is that once they hit the front they are 99% sure they won't get DQ'd no matter what they do to the horses behind. That's not a good rule either and far more dangerous that what other countries have.

I disagree
the american jockey should be banned for insuficient ride
if he would have ridden his fillie to the line would have finished second and could have been given the race with their absurd rules

the english rules are by far the best in the world on this matter for me.

it is impossible to have happy everyone but it is the countrie were most % winners deserve it.

Back