Arse Cup

That's disgusting news. I hope the horse was okay. Can't recall who it was now, but a few years ago a grey horse fell no fewer than three times during its race - the first got rid of the burden on top, then two more riderless. Very distressing for his owners to see, but fortunately unscathed in spite of his best Kamikaze efforts.

Totally agree Soba. The number of pillocks who will cheer when a horse falls beggars belief. A friend of mine used to work for one of the vets at Cheltenham and used to lose her temper with the idiots who used to try to crane around the screens and shout "shoot it" whenever they were dealing with stricken horse. Sickening.

I'm glad to say that that sort of revolting attitude doesn't happen at the smaller tracks, where there's a hard core of membership and attendance (unless someone's going to relate some hateful event at Wincanton!). The crowd applauds and cheers wildly when a fallen horse eventually rises at Fontwell or Plumpton, while hugely tailed-off jockeys coming in stone bonking last will often be given a good-humoured round of applause, too, just for managing to get back home!

Nevermind losing tempers, I'd want to punch some tosser yelling 'shoot it'!!

There was a big cheer at Ascot today when Ouste got up after a long time down having fallen at the final fence.

As for the Arse Cup, Aussie Jim McGrath deserves honourable mention. I don't know where he's looking when he commentates nowadays but it's certainly not at the track. He called a howler of a mistake from one at the fence in front of the stands in Cockney Trucker's race when CT had just made an even worse mistake, then called a horse challenging in third when it was actually a length and a half down in 4th from the 3 horses in front, challenging in a line, and at the same time completely missed the winner, not mentioning it at all until it was a length up. These sort of cockups are becoming commonplace with him.

Mike Cattermole asking Noel Martin if his wife [died in 2000] was here today.....

The rest of this thread cannot compare with the awfulness of that moment.

The bawling bint on the mic, spazzing a lot of the fillies in the parade ring. Lorna Bradburne. Christ, it's a race meeting, not a bloody funfair!

Nick Luck as Special Duty passed the post yesterday: "She can't get this one in the stewards' room."

Or words to that effect.

The bawling bint on the mic, spazzing a lot of the fillies in the parade ring. Lorna Bradburne. Christ, it's a race meeting, not a bloody funfair!

K that was really noticeable standing by the paddock . More Racing for Change bollocks I am afraid .

I'm surprised hundreds didn't sue for hearing loss afterwards, dearest. The good thing about not being there was having the Mute function on the telly! I've noticed a rising note of hysteria to most presenters at meetings now - Milton Johns at Plumpton has reached new thespian highs for over-emoting, and even Clare Balding has sounded like a holy-roller hot-gospeller at times. Why not just hire Brian Blessed and be done with it?

I'm surprised hundreds didn't sue for hearing loss afterwards, dearest. The good thing about not being there was having the Mute function on the telly! I've noticed a rising note of hysteria to most presenters at meetings now - Milton Johns at Plumpton has reached new thespian highs for over-emoting, and even Clare Balding has sounded like a holy-roller hot-gospeller at times. Why not just hire Brian Blessed and be done with it?

Now that would be worth going racing for!!!! Even Thommo couldn't compete!!!

The staff at York last week who wouldn't let Tony Newcombe into the O & T bar because he wasn't wearing a tie.

Surely the fact that they wouldn't let any chap into the O/T Bar because he was tie-less? Daft nonsense. A lot of our owners do turn up in jackets and ties, but many just wear open shirts, even tee-shirts, if the weather's hot. Provided they're clean and behave themselves, who the heck cares?

Back