Ascot Chase

As am I. I'd be disappointed if he doesn't win this.

Not at all convinced by Riverside Theatre having had a good look at his form. Has been the beneficiary of some weak races at a high level in my opinion. In contrast Kauto Stone's form looks strong, although we have limited evidence (unless you are a shrewdie on the French form that is).

Kauto Stone's fine if judged on his proximity to Sizing Europe (Who did only what he had to to win the race): not so hot if judged on the closeness of handicappers in 3rd & 4th.
Though he'll improve some for the step up in trip, he still has a bit to find with Riverside Theatre, and the prize is lucrative enough for the latter to be primed for a race he won turning handsprings last season.

Riverside Theatre has plenty going for him; trainers strike rate is 30 percent at the track, he's won first time up every season and the only times he has lost going right handed were at punchestown when he fell and was beaten 7l by Hurricane Fly into third over 2m.

Twiston Davies has a shocking record at the track but I will be interested to see how Little Josh runs. He travelled really well last time over a trip too far and it was first time up. I suspect the trainer might be finding out whether he is a Ryanair horse or one for the 2m 5f handicap.

RT has and I doubt if this is a 2 horse race Aragorn.

Kauto Stone was beaten way too many times in France for my liking. He's got ability but after a moderate effort behind SE I think PN may be overfacing him. Very much a case of something had to finish 2nd was my thoughts on that run.

Riverside Theatre's target is the Ryanair and has been trained strictly with that in mind. He won't be 110% fit for this but that hasn't stopped him winning 1st time up before as you point out.

Little Josh doesn't know too much about NTD's record at the track he just likes to run :0)

Medermit will no doubt come under pressure before anything else but will keep grinding away. He amost always gets involved in the finish so ruling him out is very difficult.

There were a lot of positives to be taken from Hell's Bay's recent effort and he's not far away from winning and 50/1 is way too big considering at his best he beat Medermit fair and square.

Guavain Tetenan and I'msingingtheblues all have chances too so it should be a cracker.

The last two have no chance.

I like Hells Bay a lot but he doesn't look like the same horse as last year yet and Medermit always falls short at Grade 1 level.

I think its between the top two and Little Josh but the way i've been going this year it would surprise me if Medermit won!!

and Medermit always falls short at Grade 1 level.

The last time he went this far at Grade 1 level he won the race. I see your point though. I've backed him for the Ryanair at a tidy price but he always seems to get outpaced and make a blunder or two at Cheltenham and I have it in my mind that this sort of trip on a flat track will really suit him.

Sorry - should have said all age Grade 1, forgot about the Scilly Isles.

I'd still be disappointed if he won this or the Ryanair if i'm honest. Never been a horse i've taken a shine to although he is an admirable and consistent performer.

Forgot to say Tanlic that i've actually backed Kauto Stone for the Ryanair along with a few quid on Alberta's Run and Apt Approach.

I think these are Riverside Theatre's ideal conditions though so I think he probably has a favourites chance in this.

If Riverside Theatre doesn't need the run he should take this. Still a horse of good potential and should probably be backed for the Ryanair ahead of the weekend. Medermit is a good yardstick and may give him most to do.

Last edited:
Gauvain's price is too big. I've backed him e/w at 7/1. He's run thirteen times in races with 8 runners or less, won 7, 2nd twice, fallen three times and pulled up once at Aintree where he didn't like the track. He's good in these sort of races and can go close here.

I reckon RT is overated based on a run against a poor Kauto at end of 2010/11. Also not 100% about Stone. I'll probably plump for Merdimet but its a wide open race. I cant have Josh in a million years.

I agree to the extent that what beats Medermit wins. RT ought to be that one that does though.

Got that all wrong. Well done RT backers - good performance from the horse. Touch of the Direct Route about this one - they should swerve Chelts and go for the Melling (think he wants a flat track)

Edit: Actually, that could be bollocks. The horse is probably better than I give him credit for, and is perfectly entitled to take his chance in the Ryanair.

Last edited:
I think he's OK at Cheltenham but prefer Rubi Light for the Ryanair.

Guavain should go for the Gold Cup. Nick has more chance of getting a place with him than Diamond Harry.

Last edited:
If the ground is good and Alberta's Run takes part he is still the one to beat . I am rather sceptical about RT round Cheltenham .

It wasn't quick last year, yet Rubi Light still lacked the pace. Needs proper cut to have any real chance, imo.
Somersby will make them all go, over what's probably his ideal distance, (HK allowing, of course).

It was only his 6th ever chase last year and its safe to say that he is much better horse coming into the race this year. Underfoot conditions would be a worry

Last edited:
Backed Riverside today and took 10s for the Ryanair, he'll be a lot shorter now. He did it better than I thought he would today. Pretty good run from Medermit too.

Always thought he was a bit of a dodgy jumper. He didn't make mistakes, but lost ground at his fences. Proved me wrong today because he never put a foot wrong. Medermit game in defeat.

Kauto Stone hugely disappointing. He did run freely but I can't believe that explains such a poor run. He must surely be better than that.

If any of you guys think you 'know' the winner of the Ryainair, and actually have the cheek to come on here tipping to everyone you're a bigger mug than me. And that must be saying something...

Last edited:
Marble old chap I have twice tipped Alberta's Run on here for the Ryanair and I suggest he will make it three times this year.

Back