Ascot Chase

Grasshopper

Senior Jockey
Just reading on the RP website that Betfair have Balder Success as their favourite......but I cannot for the life of me find the words "to capitulate first" anywhere in the article. Strange.

Quite a tidy little race, actually, and I wouldn't necessarily rule out the mare in receipt of 7lbs.

The two obvious ones entered, Granger.....£85K to the winner last season, and total prize-pool of £150K this season.

Not so sure Ma Filluele is up to this class but the reason for her running is pretty obvious.

Balder Suces has been a big disappointment this season and I am not sure he can be trusted. Wouldn't be fav in my book

The fact Willie Mullin is even thinking of running Champagne Fever in this must worry anyone who is thinking QMCC for him

Ptit Zig, PN, Saturday, is a hard combination to beat and I would think he'll go off favourite

2m4f on really soft ground in Ireland would be more Ballycasey's cup of tea than this. More likely to stay at home for the Red Mills perhaps?

The other 2 look outclassed

Ptit Zig I have a slight worry about. He took a little bit longer to get going than I would have expected last time and at 1 point I thought Champagne West might beat him

Balder Suces isn't the best jumper in the world and a strong pace might see him mess up and you don't get 2nd chances at Ascot if you belt one late in the day.

This will have been on Nicky Henderson's mind for some time for Ma Filliele and she's probably been trained to the minute for it.
They'd obviously love to win a Grade 1 with her but a place would do them just lovely and that may be all she is capable of in this company.

I'd have to go with Champagne Fever. His style of running won't suit Balder Suces at all and I doubt if Alan Kings horse will put in a clear round chasing him.
He's a bit short of top class himself but I reckon he's got more going for him than Ptit Zig who will find him a much tough nut to crack than those he's beaten so far.

Champagne Fever if he runs would be my idea of the winner before heading for the Ryanair

Last edited:
Looks like they've decided 1 prize is better than none. Can't see Ballycasey winning at Ascot but CF looks like a steering job in the Red Mills if ratings are anything to go by.

Could be yet another big win on a Saturday for PN

Ballycasey unbeaten in five completed starts over this sort of trip, taken a bit of 6/1 myself. Ran a stinker at Christmas but he wasn't the first Mullins horse to disappoint at that time of year and back over his distance he's no 6/1 shot imo.

ma filleule is joint highest rated here bar balder success who i can't see running to his 162 over this trip/company..even if he did he can't beat MF on the figures

the allowance makes her a snip here..7lb is a big edge to have over the whole field.

looks a cracking bet imo

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing this - small but select field.

Also fancy Champagne Fever (assuming a runner) otherwise its the mare but the price is too short to get excited about

Agree with you EC Ma Filleule, looks a stonking bet, not sure she quite sees 3 miles out so this should be right up her street.

Last edited:
Ballycasey has an excellent record over this kind of trip. He's not without a squeak but I've been impressed with P'Tit Zig and think he'll win.

I can't have Balder Success for this at all. His best form is at Kempton and Aintree, and when he encountered hills at Sandown and Exeter he's been well beaten. Ptit Zig has impressed me this season, but I'll go with Ballycasey now that he is back over his best distance.

Yeah, as impressive as Ptit Zig has looked he beat a bit of a boat last time out and is short.

Ballycasey travelled like the best horse in the RSA and although i missed the 5sand6s yesterday because of my stupid phone i think 9/2 is fair.

Called off our trip to ascot - ridiculous field sizes and would only have bet in two max three races. Tickets were free but won't do anything to encourage new race goers with that on offer. Expect more w/d tomorrow as it's chucking with rain here - shambles

Last edited:
That was an excellent performance by Balder Suces Ppit Zig would have had to gone some to beat him....Ma F looks a surefire winner in waiting

Back