Ascot Saturday

Managed to get £200 ew on Petit Robin @ 6/1

Same odds as Master Minded winning, but 2 chances instead of one and the win would be a bonus.

Winners done that so impressively, that can't possibly get beat at Cheltenham.

Petit Robin gets the 2nd, but I must admit I thought my bet was dead and burried 4 out, looks to want further Petit Robin, but well outclassed.

Think I've just fallen in love !!!!

Clay Hollister, what a handsome beast. He looks exactly how I love my horses, god he's lovely.

Me want, me want, me want :)

I know the thread is Ascot, but had a nice ew on Triggernometry at Wincanton.

He needed the run at Newbury and got very tired when making a mistake three out. He blew for a long time afterwards but he has been schooling brilliantly for Joe at home and comes here in great form. Had a good ew at 12/1 and should point out over hurdles at Wincanton he chased home 2 smart horses, one Flight Leader and the other Leading Attraction. He has had his problems but is in great form at home now and this looks an ideal race for him.

Last edited:
The prize money was good for class of race, the owners won't mind I can tell you that.

Needs more schooling and needs 3m.

His mum wanted 4m mind !!!!

as a new member just thought i would say i fell for hen knights calgary bay and somersby, backed them with lough derg not often i bet in doubles just could not get into it today.

Winners done that so impressively, that can't possibly get beat at Cheltenham.

Petit Robin gets the 2nd, but I must admit I thought my bet was dead and burried 4 out, looks to want further Petit Robin, but well outclassed.

I think he touched 14s in running in the place market.

Calgary Bay seemed to cope with the 2miles well enough - just much better going left handed and felt that Elsworth didn't quite see Panjo Bere coming.

Does seem to go particularly well for AP though - does JP have anything for the Arkle ?

Master Minded looks a machine, better horse than Kauto, Azerty and Moscow Flyer, only an accident can beat him in the Queen Mother, I think he can hit a 190 mark if asked to.

I don't think you can blame Elsworth for Calgary Bay's defeat.

As has been pointed out, he will undoubtedly want further and I feel that the horse doesn't have much of a turn of foot - it took him a little while to gather him up to the stage where Calgary Bay was able to respond and try to rally against Panjo Bere. He was getting there slowly but without that turn of foot was unable to respond straightaway. If the race had been half a furlong further Calgary Bay would have overhauled Panjo Bere I'm sure.

I also think that Calgary Bay is better coming off a strong gallop and seems to be better when he can dominate and things are going his own way; that is when he looks so impressive. Over today's inadequate trip coming off a fairly sedate pace he wasn't able to utilise his assets as effectively.

Certainly cant blame Elsworth. Someone recently posted "CALGARY BAY. Debating his best trip will be immaterial when he has to battle against anything willing to put up a fight. For all his cruising speed and fluid jumping ability, I expect him to be turned away by something that digs in."

Heading to two out things got tough, he showed reluctance from there on, his body language, including the shape he made over the last fence, was indicative of relcalcitrance, and although gaining in the last 100 yards it was limited and not particularly enthusiastic.

He looks fine and dandy when its a piece of piss but when its tough, its 'nu uh'

What matters most to this horse is opposition. A caving in of Free World alone would have resulted in an impressive win. But a gutsy Panjo Bere was enough to decide the result.

To be fair, I hope do hope that he doesn't drop dead.

If the race had been half a furlong further Calgary Bay would have overhauled Panjo Bere I'm sure.

Not sure about that, Shads. He was lugging to his left alright, but I'm not sure he fancied putting his head in front.

Absolutely awful conditions at Naas. Awful awful awful... :mad:

Edit: Snap, UG!

Last edited:
Only if by some very small chance Well Chief was to return at his best form . Which seems extremely unlikely.
If he comes back and is stuffed in second by Master Minded then the Moscow fans will say he wasn't at his best and isn't the horse of 3 or so years ago. If he runs Master Minded close then people will say he's not that good and doesn't deserve the 186 rating.

No win situation for Master Minded

Back