Bally Conn

an capall

Senior Jockey
I'd love to own a horse like that. Enthusiastic, improving, loads of ability and as game as a pebble. Years of enjoyment in that one.

The professional photographers were not at the sales but here is an artist's adaption of events:

flogging%2520dead%2520horse.jpg

I forgot he was running today. Three wins and two places from five runs for his new connections. And they haven't yet put him over a fence.

Gearoid! :lol:

I noticed when Bernie gave him a swat on the run-in he swished his tail as if to say "lay off - I don't need that!".

I've always liked Hen as a trainer but I'd love to know what the new yard is doing with this feller, or not doing, to bring about such a change of attitude. Or maybe it's just something really wrong in Hen's yard over the last 2/3 years. I'd have backed her in the past to be someone who could always get the best out of a horse, even a quirky one

He had a wind op (which has obviously done the trick) and then went to the sales - I believe some of the syndicate may have preferred to keep him?

I've always liked Hen as a trainer but I'd love to know what the new yard is doing with this feller, or not doing, to bring about such a change of attitude.

The Paula Radcliff training plan?

I believe some of the syndicate may have preferred to keep him?

Against Hen's advice, a majority voted in favour of hanging on to him and seeing if a wind op would work (as it happens, I was one of those who would have preferred to sell sooner rather than later). When the operation appeared not to have worked there was a second recommendation to sell, which this time was accepted by a near unanimous vote.

Perhaps Mr Hill and his vet have found and fixed something else that was bothering the horse.

Btw, going into today's race he was still only rated 102, so in terms of raw figures he is no further on from what he produced to win his bumper. His trainer deserves some praise for his placement of the horse.

Martin Hill had Bally Conn's back fixed; I originally thought that this hadn't been diagnosed as a problem at Hen's but was surprised recently when the lass who used to look after him told me that they were well aware of the issue.

Last edited:
Great to see the horse doing so well for the new connections. Clearly a horse that had a few problems that have now been resolved.

I'm sure your pleasure is noted Kathy
Kathy's entitled to be happy for Bally Conn's new owner/trainer; I have a lot of time for Martin Hill who has produced "Connor" in superb physical condition all season, and does extremely well picking up others' cast offs.

We're all pleased I think just because he showed such promise in his first run, vut also because the future of any failed racehorse is always so uncertain. But it must be massively frustrating for those of you who owned him before!

Would one of the moderators like to put up a list of subjects that I am not allowed to comment on? If Warbler would like to go back to the first Bally Conn thread I have supported the horse from day 1. I do not stop following/supporting a horse just because it is now owned/trained by someone else.

Interesting to see people coming out with some of the comments on here! For the record, this is what happened -

- horse was disappointing, didn't really want to know
- even though he'd never given any sign of it, Hen suggested testing him for wind problems
- a potential possible problem was discovered and it was decided to operate
- a vote was taken post-op to see if we should carry on; as Grey says virtually everybody voted to carry on and see if wind op worked.
- after a while we received a communication from Hen that she didn't think the wind op had worked so we voted almost overwhelmingly to sell the horse
- Martin Hill told me at Wincanton that he had discovered - and treated - a back problem, told me that it took a while to sort it out since it was "all out".

I have the utmost respect for Martin Hill and wish him all the best with Connor. I am glad he has found the key to him and personally I also feel that he has benefitted from a change of scenery and the move to a smaller yard where he can receive more attention on a one to one basis. I am very pleased that he has had so much success with Connor; indeed I was one of the first people to congratulate Martin Hill in the winners enclosure at Wincanton and have a talk to him.

I think An Capall was just a little mischievous in starting this thread.;)

Bally Conn is a fine looking animal who has been running consistently well this season. I hope that he stays fit and is able to achieve his full potential. He certainly looks a chaser in the making and I can understand why people on here, who were involved, are disappointed that the horse wasn't able to achieve his current success whilst in their ownership.

The idea that some members on here may be "delighting" in the fact that the previous owners are missing out is not very worthy, and I hope that it isn't true.

Colin, if Bally Conn were my horse and I made the decision to sell and it went on to win, and win and win, I think I would be a bit miffed BUT as any raccehorse owner knows as soon as the horse is sold you have two choices. You continue to follow the horses progress wishing the new connections well or you sit in a darkened room cursing about why you ever sold him. :mad::confused:

I have a friend who has recently sold a lovely, well bred mare who was quite good on the flat and she has been purchased to go hurdling. I know the owners (sadly) are hoping she doesn't do particularly well given the amount they have spent and the amount of near misses they had with her. Personally, I think she will make a good hurdler. I will probably have a different view after her 3rd run. :) It's one of the (many) frustrations of racehorse ownership but much better that a horse like Bally Conn goes on to fulfil his early promise rather than ending up in totally the wrong hands.

I have just found out where my mare's filly foal has ended up. She is being trained by Diamond Racing and is going to be trained by Dave Evans. I never owned the filly but I had been tempted to purchase her as the breeder thought very highly of her. I know I could have got her for a snip. That said, I didn't and I will now watch her progress with interest as she is due to be an early 2yo.

In racing there is always going to be many times we say "if only".......

Let's not cause controversy where none exists. There's no obvious mischief in Kathy's comments (although there clearly are in the naughty An Capall's, but that's another story), and it won't benefit anyone if they look through all the posts she makes to look for a hidden meaning which simply doesn't exist. Apologies for the self righteous tone. ;)

On the subject of Bally Conn's ex owners, it's fair to say that we all remain rueful but happy at the same time; we certainly prefer to see him winning than going the wrong way and we all grew fond of him in the time we had him. I don't think we were very well served by the information given when he was in training at Hen's, although I also don't think we were deliberately misled. The nature of the partnership meant that we were virtually guaranteed to have to sell, especially as Hen made it known that she had completely lost faith in the horse. Such is life.

I apologise if anybody thought I was enjoying BCs post sale success. Those who trust me know that this is untrue. The initial mail was a gentle poke, but I thought you know who was suspended.

The initial mail was a gentle poke

I certainly took it in that spirit. Gearoid's cartoon, though, that's another matter. :lol:

On the subject of Bally Conn's ex owners, it's fair to say that we all remain rueful but happy at the same time; we certainly prefer to see him winning than going the wrong way and we all grew fond of him in the time we had him.

Rory sums it up well. After all, the fact the horse is winning races at least shows we were right to like him in the first place, and it's good to see him fit and healthy.

I apologise if anybody thought I was enjoying BCs post sale success. Those who trust me know that this is untrue. The initial mail was a gentle poke, but I thought you know who was suspended.
Ah no, An Capall; we expect mischief from you. No offence ever taken.

Back