Barker - Arkle Chase 2009

Ground will likely be too quick for the horse, by the time Cheltenham comes around.

Best to look for four soft novices on Heavy before Christmas, and start laying the tail out of him at short-prices from New Year onwards.

Ahhh if only you knew how highly this horse is regarded....ground will not be a big issue for him. Bit nervous about today though. Many good chase careers have started ignominously but he is thought to be around 80 percent fit which should be good enough to win here..........

Well......I've seen plenty highly regarded ones go Southside, but good luck with him anyway, Bobbyjo. I'll watch his progress with interest.

Lovely economical jumper, but what a poor ride, he broke its jaw 4 out and 3 out, and then let him hang out at the final bend.

Also showboating bwteen 3 out and 2 out. Timmy Murphy should have won there and after he saw the last hurrah shoot up his inner he got stick happy off the last. Nice horse, should have won. Very poor ride.

Yeah, definitely more to come...just blew up at the end but what they love about him is how well he jumps. As you rightly say Chris, very economical

I don't think it was Timmy's best ever ride.

I agree about the economical jumping to an extent. He jumped very low, hurdler style and while it proved mostly fast and accurate on the night, it's not the way top 2 milers jump. I could see problems at the tougher tracks against better opposition followed be loss of confidence and loss of form.

Tonight's was probably not a bad race and you would easily put him as the best in the race next time. If he can continue to jump the way he does without mishap, he should be thereabouts for some of the bigger races. A little disappointing though.

Seebald started in May, had two wins in June and would have won in the Arkle in a normal year if there hadn't been a freak around that year.

I agree about the economical jumping to an extent. He jumped very low, hurdler style and while it proved mostly fast and accurate on the night, it's not the way top 2 milers jump.

That's how it looked to me too. That shot of him going over the second last seems to show a very straight back, which would be a problem if he fails to adjust his technique over bigger fences.

Back