Barney Curley

On the subject of cash out, I backed a horse last night at 6/1 which is now 5/2 and one at 14/1 which is now 7/2. (Gigilo's selections, not mine.)

365 are offering me 90pc of my stake as cash out.

On the subject of cash out, I backed a horse last night at 6/1 which is now 5/2 and one at 14/1 which is now 7/2. (Gigilo's selections, not mine.)

365 are offering me 90pc of my stake as cash out.

Impact already! :)

It's always been the case as far as I recall. It works the other way too - I recently cashed out a big drifter for 90pc of stake as well.

It's always been the case as far as I recall. It works the other way too - I recently cashed out a big drifter for 90pc of stake as well.

Benny - this is exactly the same as my experience.

Grasshopper - I don't believe there was a coup. What concerns me is that a horse involved in a conspiracy was judged to be lame at the start and then trotted up sound as a pound a very short time later in the stables. Do we put this down to coincidence?

Was a good interview and on a weekly basis the best racing show out there

Luck was half in awe/ half intimidated. Just let Barney speak and a fine guest for a routine Sunday's racing

I googled DAFA and found the charity's website.

It's very out of date.

I wonder how much news of the work being done out there is being spread around. Hopefully today's TV discussion will help advertise it but it doesn't look good when the latest pictures and blogs are four and five years old.

Some great stories from Barney that hadn't been heard before.

Noel Meade sending back Omerta to him as he wasn't ready and Joe Donnelly overpaying 150k punts to him for a bumper horse!!

I'm still trying to figure out what was "the best horse in the world"...

This is still the bit that's got me most intrigued.

I've tried some superficial research and got nowhere.

The idea of something much better handicapped than Halling proved to be is the kind of thing that gets my juices flowing.

I liked the bit where he said he went to Thurles, not for a race meeting but for some sort of social event where he knew he would be seen by lots of people, meanwhile his horses were doing the business elsewhere.

This is still the bit that's got me most intrigued.

I've tried some superficial research and got nowhere.

The idea of something much better handicapped than Halling proved to be is the kind of thing that gets my juices flowing.

The horse in question was Manduro I believe. Curley has ties with Baron Von Ullmann.

I checked Manduro but there's no record of Curley having had it. Also, unless I misheard him, I thought Curley said the horse in question was never beaten and had won in the UK [while in his care].

I'll try and listen to it again.

Last edited:
Found it on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGbu_cHoBUE

The segment starts at 22:30.

Some snippets of the conversation:

Best horse in the world…

Nobody ever knew about him…

Mentions the baron (NL: ‘the man who owned Manduro’)

Curley: so I’m sent over Manduro

Could never get him right…

Got a very good vet (name) now works for Godolphin…

NL: aF describe as the best horse he ever trained…

BC: never got beat…

Should I run this horse in the Cambridgeshire… it was rated about 92, 93…

NL: ooooooohh… it was the missed opportunity of all time…

So maybe confusion is setting in with age because Manduro did lose races but there is nothing in the RP records about Curley ever having owned or trained the horse.

He didn't stay with Curley as his work rider said he was too good to stay in his yard. Was shipped to Fabre to train. I'd say the season of 2007 was the unbeaten run he referred to DO.

I bought a horse of Sammy Stringer (Andrew to you lot ya bunch of scruff) and Barney could not have had a better man behind him.

The horse I bought was left behind by an Irishman when never made it's reserve and I bought it with one glance and the nod from Sammy and my old mate Tony..2nd in her first race beaten in a photo by one of Jack Berry's I sold half for what I paid for her.

She won a couple of races then went to Aldeera Blood Stock for 17 times what I paid so I did ok.

D Bridgewater or someone in the know just pulled off a right stroke............thousand bet in the place market on his in the first......drifted like barge just before the off and even drifted when coming thought to lead briefly so some fookers knew

Cant be aresed with these guys.Barney could always lose ven with the best of plans it was a gamble but these assholes who lay non triers need shot

He didn't stay with Curley as his work rider said he was too good to stay in his yard. Was shipped to Fabre to train. I'd say the season of 2007 was the unbeaten run he referred to DO.

Yes I picked that up, trefflich, but there's nothing in the horse's record to say he was ever with Curley.

Yes I picked that up, trefflich, but there's nothing in the horse's record to say he was ever with Curley.
I'm not sure about other databases but the RP only shows change of owner and/or trainer when it gets an entry. If he was with Curley but he never entered him for a race, it wouldn't show on their database.

I wasn't aware of that, archie. But other sites I looked at about Manduro don't mention Curley either.

Still, it was a good yarn to listen to!

IIRC, Barney has had a number of horses records won't show he was connected to - small wonder, considering how he operates.
Also recall Patrick Veitch - it's in his book - landing a touch with one of his he had no ostensible connection with.

Back