Best piece of 2 year old form

beardo

At the Start
I was again running through my form for the 2 year olds of last year yesterday and watcing the races and this might sound outlandish but I came to the conclusion the tattersalls time form millions is the best piece of form on offer for the whole of the year.

1. Donatavium - Group 1 Winer Breeders Cup
2. Crowded House - Group 1 Winner RP Trophy (Visually as impressive as anything I have seen)
5. Mafaaz - Beats Evasive on debut.
6. Monitor Closely - 3rd to subsequent easy Group 3 winner Kite Wood on debut under 2 lengths.
7. Prince Siegfried - Short head 2nd Group 1 Saint Cloud.
8. Sri Putra - Group 3 Solario Stakes winner.

Not to mention winners from the lower placing horses.
Im sure people would tend to disagree but would be interested to see what other notable races people think have better form lines.

Welcome to forum Beardo, have not seen you post here?

I think Crowded House was one of the worst RP Trophy winners in recent years, anyway intresting list you have there and I'll note them down. I personally like Kite Wood, Serious Attitude, Ursla, Noble Storm, Finjaan, Lord Shanakill, Bouvardia, Nasri, Bailies Cacao, Classic Blade and Orizaba.

Crowded House in the RP and then Masterscrafstman in the penultimate race when he won by a long margin for me.

I'd agree about Mastercraftsman. he looks a great deal better to me than people seem to credit him.

I like Mastercraftsman too, but I cannot help but think of the ride Murtagh gave RVW at Newmarket. A ride very much with the future in mind.

Mastercraftsman for me as well, by a clear margin among the colts. I think Crowded House and Evasive are the ones to follow for this year.

Last edited:
Mastercraftsman for me as well, by a clear margin among the colts. I think Crowded House and Evasive are the ones to follow for this year.

Agree, will be very surprised if Mastercraftsman can cut it at the top next year, an out and out 2yr old for me.

Not too many stand out performances for me in the 2yo division last season, I think the best piece of form was the Tattersalls Million race. Agree that Crowded House and Evasive are worth following next season, they look like really scopey types who can only go on from what they did as 2 year olds, whilst I saw plenty of once raced maidens who should improve massively over the winter. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see those who appear to be at the top of the pecking order in May be usurped by lesser known, more progressive types come the end of the season if not earlier.

Think Monitor Closely could be one to follow over the season - near certain he'll make up into a group horse throughout the summer and was impressive in his final start of the year at Newbury :)

I like Mastercraftsman too, but I cannot help but think of the ride Murtagh gave RVW at Newmarket. A ride very much with the future in mind.

RVW has no form that entitles him to be favourite for the Guineas though. I took 12s on Mastercraftsman in November and am quitely confident of collecting.

MCM formline ties in with Shaweel, Intense Focus, and through Intense Focus ( Dewhurst ) to Lord Shankil and Finjaan all off those are available at 33-1+ for the 2000 Guineas. Therefore 10-1 about MCM looks quite a short price at the moment.

I know his form isn't the greatest and he did disappoint subsequently but I really love Cityscape and if he's filled into his huge frame a bit more and strengthened up he'll be worth following.

I still think MCM can win the guineas Sheikh. In fact, he is one of my only two ante-post bets for this year. His beating of Bushranger is the best piece of form from a juvenile last season. He wasn´t at his best on heavy ground despite beating a good horse in Shaweel and was clearly over the top at Longchamp.
I think RVW might want further than a mile in time and it seems to me MCM could be their Guineas horse, leaving RVW for later in the year.
I also like Beauty O´Gwaun a lot for this year.

I agree Shadow Leader, just hope that Charlton aims him at the Guineas, on a formline through Orizaba ( Vintage stakes winner ) who beat Shaweel and Lord Shanakil, Cityscape has an excellent chance in the 2000 Guineas. The Royal Lodge time was quicker than the Fillies Mile won by the 1000 Guineas anti post fave Rainbow View. Also On Our Way ( 3rd Royal Lodge ) won the Houghton Stakes in a canter next time out. For various reasons JJury did not run up to his Royal Lodge form in the RPT but still finished 2nd in a Grp 1 , so to me the Royal Lodge form looks quite hot.

The strange thing about MCM is his 2 runs over 6f at the Currugh. The first run was on Yielding ground and recorded a time of about 1m13.78 (approx ) the 2nd time on G-FIRM recorded a time of 1m13.30s so no real improvement. Although he did look visually impressive.

I'm not so sure Cityscape would have the toe over the 1m of the Guineas, Milo - all 3 of his races at 2 were over a mile, I think he'll want further. Because of the size of him I'm not so sure he's physically suite to Epsom either.

I suggested the Leger for him a few days ago - I take Colin's point that his breeding might not be conducive to staying the trip but I'm not so sure. The damside is more of a worry, Selkirk has thrown stayers and physically he looks to b eshaping up to be a stayer to me.

Well he is bread to be a miler, and if you replay the Royal Lodge , Cityscape was infront at the 7f marker. Also on his 2nd run he won by 9l so i expect he could of won over shorter. Dont forget that plenty on horses that win the Guineas want 1m2f as 3yos , and in recent years have a good record over further . Golan , New Approach , Sir Percy, all ran well in the Guineas before stepping up in trip.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics!!!! :lol:

From what I've seen of the horse I think he's more of a stayer than a miler - and yes, he could have won over a shorter trip at Salisbury, he simply outclassed his opposition.

I don't know how anyone can put Mastercraftsman down as a pure two year. Certainly does not look one physically.

What´s the record of Charlton in the Guineas?
It strikes me as a very patient trainer and considering the horse´s physique, I very much doubt we will see him taking part in the race. A promising horse though.

Back