Best Rock/Pop Gigs You've ever been to

harry

At the Start
A couple out of many stand out for me.

Black Sabbath at Milton Keynes Bowl (1998) never thought I would see the original line up

Take That: The Circus Tour. Amazing production and so many women :D

Iron Maiden....the early gigs at St David's Hall Cardiff, Slavery and Piece Tours (was backstage with them for 2 hours before the gig too)

Michael Jackson at Cardiff Arms Park......amazing!

AC/DC Wembley For Those About To Rock tour...my first gig.....unbeatable.

More to come, they were my best.

Yours?

Last edited:
Bobby Womack hammersmith odeon 1980 something. Quite stunning

McCoy tyner and bobby hutcherson barbican few years back. Gloroious modern jazz

Had this discussion with some mates a few weeks back and one that's seen many many gigs all genres stated that the jacksons opening with "show me the way to go" in Birmingham many years back was the most spine tingling by a mile

But best concerts I've ever seen are world class string quartets such as the Takacs.

Ozzy at Colston Hall Bristol 1920 I think?:D

Jake E Lee was the guitarist, place went mental and he had to play Paranoid twice before people would leave.

Just a few to be going on with:
Neil Young - Festival Hall - 1971
Lincoln Folk Festival - some field in Lincoln - 1971 - principally the Byrds but also, amongst others, James Taylor, Sandy Denny and Tim Hardin.
Stephen Stills & Manassas - Rainbow Theatre - 1972
Mountain - Rainbow Theatre - 1972
Steve Miller Band - Rainbow Theatre - 1972
Wings - Wembley Arena - 1975
Eagles - Wembley Arena - 1977
Springsteen - Wembley Arena - 1981

I was at Bob Marley's last ever live gig at Dalymount Park in 1980. As I have no memory of that day I need to move on to Ian Drury and the Blockheads set at the Castlebar Festival in 1981. The day after while I nursed a hangover I watch Ian Botham slash 149 against the Aussies to set up Willis for the kill. Happy daze.

some good ones there Archie..i'm jealous of the Mountain one ..never saw them

i've still got all my stubs from every concert i've been to..most of my real gigging took place between 1971 & 1973

I'd have to say Pink Floyd in 1972 at Sheffield City Hall. DSOM tour..the album wasn't out as i seem to remember so the first time you heard it was live..they used quadraphonic sound and had the best light show i had seen at that point. They were unlike any other live show at that time tbh.

Jethro Tull on thick as a Brick tour were superb too

other bands in 71 to 73 at sheffield city hall i saw were Free..Wishbone Ash twice..Focus.. Led Zeppelin (Plant had layngitis..disappointing..i was deaf for 2 days after)

so i'll say Pink Floyd..Free would be 2nd

From uni days:
Little Stevie Wonder at Manchester Uni Union in 1967. Cost 7s6d which is 37.5p. The following week it was the Bee Gees for 25p.
Deep Purple at Manchester Free Trade Hall in 1970. The highlight was a preview of Child In Time 3 or 4 months before Deep Purple In Rock was released.

From school days:
The Shadows - Manchester Apollo - 1962
Del Shannon - Manchester Apollo - 1962
The Stones & Spencer Davis Group - Birmingham Odeon - 1965
Simon & Garfunkel - Birmingham Hippodrome - 1966?

A section of their own:
Beach Boys in Birmingham (x2), Manchester and London between 1965 and 1975

Last edited:
some good ones there Archie..i'm jealous of the Mountain one ..never saw them

i've still got all my stubs from every concert i've been to..most of my real gigging took place between 1971 & 1973

I'd have to say Pink Floyd in 1972 at Sheffield City Hall. DSOM tour..the album wasn't out as i seem to remember so the first time you heard it was live..they used quadraphonic sound and had the best light show i had seen at that point. They were unlike any other live show at that time tbh.

Jethro Tull on thick as a Brick tour were superb too

other bands in 71 to 73 at sheffield city hall i saw were Free..Wishbone Ash twice..Focus.. Led Zeppelin (Plant had layngitis..disappointing..i was deaf for 2 days after)

so i'll say Pink Floyd..Free would be 2nd
I lived down the road from the Rainbow for several months so I was a regular there on almost a walk up basis. Mountain probably stands as the loudest gig I've been to.
Of yours, EC, I only saw Pink Floyd and that was much later on the Animals tour and then The Wall at Earls Court. Technically very interesting but a little mechanical by then.

some crackers there Archie

the prices were amazing..most i paid was..without checking the stubs..£1.25 to see Zep..Pink Floyd was 50p..but i was in the balcony

one thing we used to do sometimes was go without buying tickets in advance if they sold out quick. We generally went to wilson & pecks shop a few weeks before a gig in sheffield..tickets were on sale in the basement. I clearly remember going to the Floyd gig with my mate without tickets..you would then wait to see if any tickets got took back in by people who's mate wasn't coming or whatever..someone brought a ticket back 10 minutes before the gig..i let my mate have it and looked like not getting in..but someone else came with one just before doors shut..i was very lucky..would have been gutted.

so it was nearly the best gig i never got to see

Last edited:
I lived down the road from the Rainbow for several months so I was a regular there on almost a walk up basis. Mountain probably stands as the loudest gig I've been to.
Of yours, EC, I only saw Pink Floyd and that was much later on the Animals tour and then The Wall at Earls Court. Technically very interesting but a little mechanical by then.

I'm pretty sure Mountain never played up here..me and my mate were big fans and would have gone..Nantucket sleighride album got lots of hammer

its funny because i've never really been a massive PF fan..was always Cream Zep Hendrix ..but their gig was just a total experience..Free were and still are one of my very fav bands

other bands in 71 to 73 at sheffield city hall i saw were Free..Wishbone Ash twice..Focus.. Led Zeppelin

Well, well EC 'tis a small world. I'm a son of Steel City too (Dore, posh or what:p) and saw Deep Purple at the City Hall, in 1972 if memory serves, and terrifically, terrifyingly ear-ringing they were too. 'In Rock' is a masterpiece and age has not withered it one jot

Never been much of a concert-goer though. Best memory is an impromptu jam by Van Morrison in the lounge bar of Jury's Hotel, Cork circa 1985. Propping up the bar, as was/is my wont and in walked the self-effacing little guy: "fk me that's Van Morrison" I spluttered to the little lady and the night rocked and rolled away, brill:)

On the way back home we sang a song
But our throats were getting dry
Then we saw the man from across the road
With the sunshine in his eyes
Well he lived all alone in his own little home
With a great big gallon jar
There were bottles too, one for me and you
And he said hey! there you are
Oh, the water
Oh, the water
Oh, the water
Get it myself from the mountain stream
And it stoned me to my soul
Stoned me just like jelly roll
And it stoned me

Agree with your sentiments regarding Free, a great band. Paul Rodgers is still active I believe

Dore eh?..yes you are posh;)

I missed Deep Purple somehow..In Rock knocked my world sideways..as did Black sabbath's first album... I remember the Who played there in 72..I didn't rate them then..put musical ability in front of energy..what a missed opportunity

yes..Paul Rodgers as good as ever..i really like Andy Frazers bass lines..pure quality.

would have loved to see Mahavishnu Orchestra as well..massive fan of theirs..what a band they were

Last edited:
Im glad I saw Dio play with Sabbath on the Heaven and Hell tour even though they were well old. That voice was cosmic

Been to many gigs back in the day. Stand outs would be Bowie Milton Keynes Bowl 83 I think. Roxy Music Flesh and Blood tour Wembely Arena 80/81.Gary Moore. A few punk gigs with the Cramps being the stand out of those, Bristol '79.

Others of note Police, Elvis Costello and Slade!

It was either 82 or 83 Wolf. I was there too, and he was superb.

This thread has reminded me of three great bands I've not seen live. Led Zep won't happen now and is a huge regret. I still haven't seen ACDC or The Eagles live, and they're becoming bucket list material.

I've seen many live, and not surprising Queen and U2 are right up there. I too saw MJ and wanted to hate him, but he was superb and makes my top 3. Meat Loaf also make my personal top 5, with Coldplay being the 5th.

Given I'm very much seventies/eighties rock I've just surprised myself with my choices.

It was either 82 or 83 Wolf. I was there too, and he was superb.

This thread has reminded me of three great bands I've not seen live. Led Zep won't happen now and is a huge regret. I still haven't seen ACDC or The Eagles live, and they're becoming bucket list material.

I've seen many live, and not surprising Queen and U2 are right up there. I too saw MJ and wanted to hate him, but he was superb and makes my top 3. Meat Loaf also make my personal top 5, with Coldplay being the 5th.

Given I'm very much seventies/eighties rock I've just surprised myself with my choices.

With more to come?

Loads of bands are touring Oz now;)

Can't have U2 at all....saw them at The Millenium Stadium and walked out(with many others)....shite

Been to hundreds over the years,a lot I've been dragged to via girlfriend lots of metal bands which surprisingly many were brilliant.Bands I saw before meeting her.

Manic street preachers
Stone roses
Smashing pumpkins
Janes addiction
Death cult befire they became a cheesy rock band
Terrorvision
The levellers
Echo and the bunnymen
Vast
Motorhead
And dozens more bands girlfriend took me to

Queens of thestoneage
Metallica
Sound garden
Biffy clyro
Korn
Slayer
Pantera
Nine inch nails
Misfits
Foo fighters
Fear factory And loads more I can't remember..

U2 -Cork 1987
Red Hot Chilli Peppers-Reading 1994
Neil Young-Reading 1995
Pulp-Brixton Academy 2001
INXS-Brixton 1994

Bruce Springstein-Kilkenny 2013-great singer,great band but was bored for 95% of the concert.

U2 -Cork 1987
Red Hot Chilli Peppers-Reading 1994
Neil Young-Reading 1995
Pulp-Brixton Academy 2001
INXS-Brixton 1994

Bruce Springstein-Kilkenny 2013-great singer,great band but was bored for 95% of the concert.

Felt like that with Bryan Adams....but was bored for 80% of the concert.....then I left.

Been to hundreds over the years,a lot I've been dragged to via girlfriend lots of metal bands which surprisingly many were brilliant.Bands I saw before meeting her.

Manic street preachers
Stone roses
Smashing pumpkins
Janes addiction
Death cult befire they became a cheesy rock band
Terrorvision
The levellers
Echo and the bunnymen
Vast
Motorhead
And dozens more bands girlfriend took me to

Queens of thestoneage
Metallica
Sound garden
Biffy clyro
Korn
Slayer
Pantera
Nine inch nails
Misfits
Foo fighters
Fear factory And loads more I can't remember..

You want to thank The Lord you met her!:lol:

Mine took me to Westlife

Last edited:
Back