Best Rock/Pop Gigs You've ever been to

She broadened my spectrum of music I now like everything from amy winehouse to slayer,music I would never have listened to.Stuff like this velvet revolver song sung by miles kennedy,probably the best rock vocalist I've ever heard yet probably unknown to most.Cracking tune and slash on acoustic..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eivRkhXr2vM

Slayer in '87 when they were at their peak. Neck was sore for weeks afterwards

Radiohead in '08 at LCC.

Celtic Frost/Kreator at the Manchester Apollo in '88. Up until this concert this venue had seats right up till just before the stage. There was was so much moshing at this gig that the first half dozen rows were destroyed and were never replaced.

Metallica '86. A week before Cliff died. They were never as good again.

Kiss in '83 and Motley Crue in '84. I was never really a massive hair metal guy but these bands did put on great shows.

Slayer in '87 when they were at their peak. Neck was sore for weeks afterwards

Radiohead in '08 at LCC.

Celtic Frost/Kreator at the Manchester Apollo in '88. Up until this concert this venue had seats right up till just before the stage. There was was so much moshing at this gig that the first half dozen rows were destroyed and were never replaced.

Metallica '86. A week before Cliff died. They were never as good again.

Kiss in '83 and Motley Crue in '84. I was never really a massive hair metal guy but these bands did put on great shows.

:adore:

Been to quite a few down the years but mentions go to Sprinsteen at the Etihaad in 2012(?). Yazoo at Manchester apollo around 2011. They had never ever toured as Vince Clarke said no everytime Alison Moyet asked him. He agreed and they just did 5 small venues across the country. They just did every track from both albums, and no covers etc. The whole place stood up and danced from start to finish. Might not be a lot of peoples cup of tea, but they were excellent.
Also used to be a big Texas fan and saw them plenty of times until about 8 years ago. Saw them at a smal venue in Manchester last year and completely remembered why they are such a great band live.

I saw The Kane Gang at the Edinburgh Caley Palais in 1984. They were 45 minutes late, which was roughly about how many people were in attendance. It was a great gig though, as they were happy to chat with the crowd between numbers, and basically let us choose the running-order of the gig.

The first time I saw The Charlatans would be my favourite.

Last edited:
Paul McCartney at Earls Court in 2003.

AC/DC at the o2

Mark Knopfler in Cardiff (twice)

James Taylor, Cardiff and Earls Court

Clapton at Royal Albert Hall

ZZ Top in Birmingham academy

Oasis, Manics, Ocean Colour Scene at Knebworth

Queen and Paul Rodgers in Cardiff

Fleetwood Mac at Earls Court
Black Stone Cherry three times in Bristol academy

Steve Winwood at colston hall Bristol

Basement Jaxx twice

Gogol Bordello at Bristol academy

Bon Jovi at wembley stadium

Brian May at the NEC

Always been pissed off that I'm too young to have seen Free live and the same goes for Queen. Give me a time machine and the first place I'd go is wembley 1986 to watch the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off tangent, I watched the Queen Live Aid Performance: can anyone put forward a better frontman than Freddie Mercury???

Tough one that, harry, though a lot might argue Mick Jagger. Don't think there'd be a huge list to choose from though.

... and for sheer intensity of performance - Ian Curtis , Lux Interior and Iggy Pop.

Sadly all three of those now look like corpses, though only two of them are dead.

not a big gig goer due to the urge I get to bomb places with large congregations of people but.......

Oasis at Loch Lomond
Pink Floyd at Earls Court
Simon & Garfunkel at Hyde Park

Best: Dr Feelgood at the Marquee club ( across the street from the pub I frequented -- The Intrepid Fox, Wardour Street). Circa 1976. Raw, sweaty R 'n' B, but they were great. Wilko and Ray, r.i.p.
Worst: Rory Gallagher at Macroom Festival. Same ol', same ol' 3-chord stuff that was getting boring even back then.
Wished-I-had-seen: the lads from the old East-Germany -- Rammstein -- the kings of Industrial Metal, and poster boys of the Steampunk arts/culture movement. As much performance artists as musicians. Nobody quite put on a show like Rammstein. But I think maybe I am too old now for all that excitement -- as are, I suspect, Rammstein also. :rolleyes:

The opening song -- "Reise Reise" -- from a Rammstein consert. The show and spectacle only gets better as it progresses. :D

That pub was a real punk pub ice. Its shut now. I saw feelgoods at nashville not the marquee. Stunning

wished i had seen John coltrane or the beatles

wilko is fine! hes beaten cancer. A top man. Mate of mine booked him at brimgham univeristy and said he was most down to earth bloke u could hope to meet in that industry

Last edited:
That pub was a real punk pub ice.
You're spot-on. It was! Punk bands like the Vibrators and the Banned and their followers used to drink in there before gigs at the Roxy or Marquee. Great times.
It was an Ind Coope pub, and at the time I had a love for "Long Life" pale lager which was Ind Coope. I was a habitue of the pub. A barfly.
Shame the place is closed. Those were the best of times for me -- London at the age of 21 around 1976. Happy memories indeed.

Yep, I saw an interview with Wilko Johnson recently on TV. He had overcome the cancer and had actually recorded a new album with Roger Daltrey. A sound genuine bloke.

Just received my ticket to see Jackson Browne next week. This guy has been making top quality music for most of my adult life and it will be the first time I've seen him in concert.

My best used to be INXS at Brighton circa 1991-2 another fav is Seth Lakeman but the best ever was just this April, Pentatonix, an acapella band from the US. Utterly brilliant and all without musical instruments other than a quick cello piec - beat boxing and cello at the same time....I feel a bit old to be liking them so much but even though the gig was at Manchester Uni students union there was a wide range of ages there, I wasn't nearly the oldest!!

Worst gig was The Beautiful South, might as well stayed at home with the cd. Saw Cortney Pine when he was mashed out of his face but he was still strangely awesome even though. Better when he was more sober though...

Fun thread, lots of old rockers here.....

The Intrepid Fox brings back some memories-I had my first proper job across the road from it.Earned very little but great times -Friday night always started with a couple on the Intrepid Fox.

Bloody hell, Luke, it's a small world. I had a room upstairs in the building right next door to the Intrepid Fox, and worked on the same street.
It's spookily coincidental that two guys from the S.E. of R.O.I. wind up across from each other on the same street (albeit probably in different years) in one of the world's largest city's. Weird.

Getting to the roxy was something ice. It closed pretty well before the whole thing got going. I was well underage then but I think I did get to the vortex (the other club at the time).

It was a thing to do but I was, like all my mates really and most of London, soul boy at heart.

Saw plenty of bands. Another r n b outfit that were all over west London and not far off the feelgoods were the Count Bishops. I also saw dire straits in a pub (red cow hammersmith I think) but fcked if I can remember much about it.

Icebreaker the strange thing is I have absolutely no recollection of The Marquee being there.If there is a period of my life I am hazy about it's the first year and a half in London.

Back