Best Rock/Pop Gigs You've ever been to

The Marquee closed/terminated in the mid-eighties, Luke, so maybe just before the time you began your "rakes progress" in London. :rolleyes:

Getting to the roxy was something ice. It closed pretty well before the whole thing got going.
Clive, really? If memory serves, Leicester Sq was at the bottom end of Wardour Street -- and from that landmark it was only about a five-minute walk over to Covent Garden. Maybe I'm wrong?
Anyway, the punksters used to gather in the Fox proudly sporting the mohican and wearing de riguer bin-liner tops and tartan pants adorned with chains. Then, after copious amounts of Skol were quaffed, they'ld make their journey -- taking the mick out of passers-by along the way. :lol:

And surely the Roxy was at its zenith in the punk era, no? I remember The Clash playing there.

Last edited:
Oh, I think I may have misunderstood your post, Clive, the bit that I quoted above.
Maybe you mean that the Roxy closed its doors early before a gig began -- due to crowds? Or did you mean that the Roxy closed permanently before the Punk scene began?
If it was the former that you meant, then, disregard my above post. :D

Roxy closed just as scene got going ice. I was just 16 or so at the time.

One of the things many forget about that time was that very few dressed up. I certainly didnt. Mind you straight leg jeans were enoughto get chased by teds

I saw the clash a few times. To be honest they had a lt of energy but you could never tell which track they were playing. N

not sure what the worst gig I saw at that time was. There were so many.

i do remember one group supporting at the Nashville . They were crao and everyone just chucked beer glasses off them chanting "fck off fck off" . Band walked off and the singer broke down in tears squealing that "you just don't appreciate us you bastards". Cue more beer (plastic ) glasses . He just stood there sobbing. Well funny

I think the group was Warsaw and the singer would have been ian Curtis.

Last edited:
Clive, begiining to think I'm losing my mind or losing my memory .............. so I've just looked it up.
And I find this list of bands who played the Roxy.
(Was there ever a more comprehensive line-up of definitive punk bands who appeared at any venue than this?):

The Adverts
The Boys
Buzzcocks
Chelsea
**** Sparrer
The Cortinas
Wayne County & the Electric Chairs
The Damned
The Drones
Eater
The Jam
The Lurkers
Masterswitch
The Models (formerly "Beastly Cads")
Johnny Moped
The Only Ones
Penetration
The Police
The Rejects
Sham 69
Siouxsie & The Banshees
Slaughter & The Dogs
The Slits
The Stranglers
Subway Sect
The Vibrators
Cherry Vanilla
Wire
X-Ray Spex
XTC

Where was the Nashville, can I ask?
(Great story about the support band and the crying singer, btw :lol: )

LOL, the swear-filter on here.
But I reckon most will figure out the first word of the name of band #5 -- **** Sparrer ? :rolleyes:

Christ some old names there. I never ever listen to rock now but would say this a bout a few.

only ones had one great single
permetration is saw at the roundhouse. They were good and whatshername was a rare punk girl who was a bit of alright.
saw the Lurkers in a pub in acton a couple of times. Mate was good friends with the band. They were bit monotonous though
i saw sham69 when about 1000 skins turned up and it was a full scale riot
siousxie was first band I saw.
stranglers I saw in two secret gigs in tiny venues.they were fantastic.

One band not listed because they came along just after is the members. We were mates with them (to an extent) and they were sharp and good fun. Very underrated

Nashville was next to west ken tube. I went there most of all. Red cow was round the corner too. Pub is still there. Nashville was my fav venue by far.

I envy you having grown up in London; the greatest city in the world -- nowhere comes close to it.
You can keep your Paris, your New York, ( been to both), nowhere compares to London for sheer vitality, things to do, excitement.
(At least not in the late 70's) :rolleyes:

I never ever listen to rock now but would say this a bout a few.

only ones had one great single

Yes, and it was used in a Vodaphone TV advert in the mid-2,000's.
("Another Girl, Another Planet")
I remember it causing a bit of controversy because the song was considered to be about Heroin addiction.
"She get's under my skin I don't find it irritating,
She always plays to win but I won't need rehabilitating,".

Last edited:
I envy you having grown up in London; the greatest city in the world -- nowhere comes close to it.
You can keep your Paris, your New York, ( been to both), nowhere compares to London for sheer vitality, things to do, excitement.
(At least not in the late 70's) :rolleyes:

Better now than then mate. I am lucky but it's down to me to make the most of it. Luckily my big interest these days are art, theatre and classical music. The options are endless. The explosion in quality galleries is remarkable.

City has a far better vibe now than 79. I know both paris and new york well and visited a good few times . Love them but the scope in London and variety is much greater. At this point in time I think it's an astonishing city. There is a buzz like I've never noticed before.

Last edited:
Oh God, see who is playing London on Monday for their first orchestral UK concert in 18 years (according to Sky News this morning)?
With full BBC orchestra and choir.

PROCOL HARUM ! :

Last edited:
Now, where's meh Ryanair timetable ........................

Should be a memorable event if anything like their last live orchestral outing with the National Danish Concert Orchestra.

I never thought much to Procal Harem, assuming they were just a one hit wonder sort of group, until Benmont Tench, in the documentary about Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, raved about him. Will the concert be recorded/televised d'y'know?

I never thought much to Procal Harem, assuming they were just a one hit wonder sort of group
Totally understandable, Moe, as they were primarily an "albums" band -- with more albums releases than singles releases.

I guess the show will most likely be broadcasted ultimately as it is a BBC project, but probably not until they have harvested DVD sales. :o

One of the things many forget about that time was that very few dressed up. I certainly didnt. Mind you straight leg jeans were enoughto get chased by teds

I saw the clash a few times. To be honest they had a lt of energy but you could never tell which track they were playing.
I wonder will we see Clive, the 16-y-o proto-punk, on BBC4 at 10:45 this evening? :D
Mohican hairstyle, leather jacket bedecked with chains, spandex trews (even tho' nowadays he denies he wore the gear). ? Maybe we'll see the embryonic Clive in all his punk glory tonight? I do hope so ! :rolleyes:

"The Clash: New Year's Day '77
Footage of the concert as the band opened the infamous Roxy club.
BBC4 10:45"

Lol. Well the fact of it was that relatively few went to gigs in all that gear and I certainly never went for that look. Girls would have run a mile and frankly it was just not me in the slightest. Just wearing straight leg jeans was enough notget get served in a pub at that age or be chased through hammersmith by teds.

i saw the clash a good few times and they were energetic but pretty awful in truth. Often after a track it was "which fcking one was that?"

Back